Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does your atheism come as a package?
Does your atheism come as a package?
My lack of being convinced God exists doesn't stand alone.  It comes packaged with various inter-related opinions.

My atheism comes as a bundle with:
Agnosticism
Skepticism
Anti-religious sentiment
Nihilism
Materialism/Physicalism
Evolution
A high view of science (scientism?)
Left/ Liberal/ Progressive Politics
Not believing in moral realism
Not believing in freewill
Etc.

Does your atheism tie into other things, or does it stand alone?
RE: Does your atheism come as a package?
It's part of me but I don't really make lists or think about what is linked to what. If I were to pick a label for myself - I'm an old hippie.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(September 20, 2023 at 4:59 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: My lack of being convinced God exists doesn't stand alone.  It comes packaged with various inter-related opinions.

Agnosticism
Skepticism
Anti-religious sentiment
Nihilism
Materialism/Physicalism
Evolution
Etc.

Not really. I reject agnosticism, I think many people take skepticism too far, and I think nihilism and scientism are jokes. I think I'd still be pro-science and leftist if I were religious. I decline to hate religious people for being religious.

I think the only thing that comes part and parcel with my atheism is that it frees up my Sunday mornings for other stuff.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
To me, many follow on from each other: athiesm goes hand in hand with materialism, which leads to science and evolution, which leads to rejecting freewill and moral realism, which for me leads to left-liberal politics, which leads to being anti-religious etc.
(September 20, 2023 at 5:18 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: To me, many follow on from each other: athiesm goes hand in hand with materialism, which leads to science and evolution, which leads to rejecting freewill and moral realism, which for me leads to left-liberal politics, which leads to being anti-religious etc.

If that's what works for you, dandy. Personally, I can't justify having one aspect of my psyche be a roadmap for the rest.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
To me it just follows on logically, and I like to be as consistent as I can. Hard to have science without evolution; hard to have materialism without atheism or nihilism; etc. It's just about thinking things through, for me.
(September 20, 2023 at 4:59 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: My lack of being convinced God exists doesn't stand alone.  It comes packaged with various inter-related opinions.

Agnosticism
Skepticism
Anti-religious sentiment
Nihilism
Materialism/Physicalism
Evolution
Etc.

Every atheist everywhere gets their atheism as part of a package. It's impossible not to.

We aren't capable of looking out at the world in some kind of rootless, "view from nowhere" kind of way and then concluding that it doesn't look like there's a God. From the day we're born we're absorbing the values and social framework of the time and place we're in. More than ever before, this framework is compatible with atheism, so atheism seems like a rational conclusion to many of us. 

I think I'd reverse the order of causation, though: we don't settle on liberal bourgeois values because we are atheists. Rather, it becomes possible for us to be atheists because our culture is absolutely soaked through with liberal bourgeois values.

Of course both "liberal" and "bourgeois" are big terms with lots of internal variation. They don't necessarily lead to atheism. (Although I think that many of the problems with modern American Christianity come from the incompatibility of these values with old-fashioned Christianity, which makes it very difficult for modern people to espouse a consistent, historically-rooted religion.) 

The best book on this is A Secular Age by Charles Taylor. 

People who think their beliefs concerning God aren't part of a package, and that they have somehow independently come up with true conclusions, simply haven't examined their own ways of thinking very well. What we hold to be true about the world is entirely contingent on our time and place, and all the packages that come with that.
(September 20, 2023 at 6:47 am)Belacqua Wrote:

Agnosticism
Skepticism
Anti-religious sentiment
Nihilism
Materialism/Physicalism
Evolution
Etc.

Every atheist everywhere gets their atheism as part of a package. It's impossible not to.

We aren't capable of looking out at the world in some kind of rootless, "view from nowhere" kind of way and then concluding that it doesn't look like there's a God. From the day we're born we're absorbing the values and social framework of the time and place we're in. More than ever before, this framework is compatible with atheism, so atheism seems like a rational conclusion to many of us. 

I think I'd reverse the order of causation, though: we don't settle on liberal bourgeois values because we are atheists. Rather, it becomes possible for us to be atheists because our culture is absolutely soaked through with liberal bourgeois values.

Of course both "liberal" and "bourgeois" are big terms with lots of internal variation. They don't necessarily lead to atheism. (Although I think that many of the problems with modern American Christianity come from the incompatibility of these values with old-fashioned Christianity, which makes it very difficult for modern people to espouse a consistent, historically-rooted religion.) 

The best book on this is A Secular Age by Charles Taylor. 

People who think their beliefs concerning God aren't part of a package, and that they have somehow independently come up with true conclusions, simply haven't examined their own ways of thinking very well. What we hold to be true about the world is entirely contingent on our time and place, and all the packages that come with that.

(Pointless response to someone who has me on ignore)

Of course atheism is part of a package, but what that package consists of varies widely from one atheist to another.

And 'liberal bourgeois values' is a nonsensical term. Historically, the bourgeoisie have been ultra conservative and concerned primarily with amassing and retaining wealth and keeping their economic dominance secure. Liberal values (in the modern sense) largely arise from the proletariat being fed up with bourgeoisie high-handedness.

Boru
You don't expect the hard right to make a complex sentence (more than two words) now do you?
Standalone. Drives folks like Bel nuts, but I was just born this way, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3095 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1828 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1723 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1260 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23318 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8195 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6216 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1265 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8789 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13