Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the world's worst religions
Ranking the world's worst religions
I originally considered having two qualifying categories to quantify which religion is worse than another: which religion is more obviously false, and which religion is more harmful. But then I quickly foresaw everyone here saying that they're all equally moronic and obviously false; also, harm is quantifiable. By "harm" I refer to a combination of harm to the self, to society, and to technological progress.

Another thing I'd like to say is that some would consider, say, Mormonism to be part of Christianity, while others (mostly Christians) resist this. I will consider them as separate because I think that Mormonism is a particularly harmful version of Christianity. Conversely, Buddhism is a spin-off religion but is far less harmful than its parent religion or perhaps any other religion on earth.

So you can include as many religions as you like. No need to make it a top 5, or top 10, or to include all. I'm just interested in seeing everyone's general opinion.

Here's my list:

1. Islam (by far)

2. Catholicism

3. Mormonism (probably would be #1 if spread worldwide)

4. Hinduism

5. Quakers (Quakerism?)
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
RE: Ranking the world's worst religions
Quakers over Jehovah's Witnesses ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

1. islam

2.  fundie xtians

2.  catholicks

4.  mormons

5.  trumpism
I tend to rank religions by how likely they are to come round to my house (uninvited, natch) and introduce me to their particular brand of spiritual bile.  Thus, the 'worst' five would be:

1.  Jehovah's Witnesses

2. Mormons

3.  Scientologists

4.  Catholics

5.  Neo-Druids (only happened once, but still)

The BEST five are:

1.  Wiccans

2.  LaVey Satanists

3.  Unitarians

4.  Vodou-ists

5.  All of the rest of the world's religions who haven't yet figured out where I live.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2018 at 5:50 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: 5. Quakers (Quakerism?)

LOL. Why are quakers even on the list? I can think of twenty religions that are worse than they are. You can even be an atheist quaker. Unless you're pullin' my chain I don't get it.
(January 2, 2018 at 6:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Quakers over Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Aside from being annoying, how do the Jovies cripple society?
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
(January 2, 2018 at 6:32 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote:
(January 2, 2018 at 6:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Quakers over Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Aside from being annoying, how do the Jovies cripple society?

Can you point to ANY religion that has crippled society?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I tend to rank religion by how much they hamper human progress in general.

Religions that may be vicious but also seem to be lacking in the ability to gain in scale don’t hamper human progress very much.

Religions that tend to hold sway only in areas that are backward and primitive is less dangerous to general state of human progress than religions which are likely to gain political power where institutions of human progress are concentrated and thus can apply their malevolent influence more directly upon engines of human progress.

So I have to say Christianity ranks far and away as the worst and most dangerous, even if it at the moment doesn’t seem to be quite as vicious as Islam.
I'd rather rank the worst people/worst actions in specific religions rather than the religions themselves. The religions all basically suck. It's more about what individuals do with the religion.

For the most part the religions/religious around me are simply annoying.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 2, 2018 at 7:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 2, 2018 at 6:32 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: Aside from being annoying, how do the Jovies cripple society?

Can you point to ANY religion that has crippled society?

Boru

Jislam

How much $$$ would it take for you to live a full year in any Islamic nation of my choosing?

How much $$$ if you also must be an open atheist?

(January 2, 2018 at 6:31 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(January 2, 2018 at 5:50 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: 5. Quakers (Quakerism?)

LOL. Why are quakers even on the list? I can think of twenty religions that are worse than they are. You can even be an atheist quaker. Unless you're pullin' my chain I don't get it.

They hinder technological progress. If everyone was like them, where would we be?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worst Christian Video EVER Made Foxaèr 8 1511 October 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Worst pastor, preechur, evangelist, priest, reverend ??? vorlon13 26 7294 November 16, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Vatican fires high ranking priest for coming out abaris 37 7854 October 3, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  What's your favorite (or the worst, in your opinion) bible passage? renatoab 22 4825 May 2, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Razzle
  Worst Arguments For Christianity Pizza 115 15568 January 26, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is there any core feature of christianity not found in other religions Lemonvariable72 54 19197 March 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Worst Bible Translations Marnie 23 18386 October 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Finally the TRUE answer to why we have so many religions! reverendjeremiah 26 12004 February 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger