Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Bible Translations
Worst Bible Translations
What do you think are the worst bible translations ever? I don't mean a little biased or inaccurate, I mean hilariously, jaw-dropingly bad.

I'm going to have to go with the Orthodox Jewish bible translation. It literally makes no sense. It's hilarious. I can't get through a chapter without cracking up. Jesus is called Rebbe Melech HaMoshiach Yehoshua. How does the author make any money? Maybe people just buy it for the entertainment value.

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Ort...OJB/#books
RE: Worst Bible Translations
Yehoshua is Jesus' properly translated name (funnily enough) as I understand it.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Bart Ehrman, Pg 209 of Misquoting Jesus.

Quote:The King James Version is filled with places in which the translators rendered a Greek text derived ultimately from Erasmus's
edition, which was based on a single twelfth century manuscript that
is one of the worst of the manuscripts that we now have available to
us! It's no wonder that modern translations often differ from the King James, and no wonder that some Bible believing Christians prefer
to pretend there's never been a problem, since God inspired the
King James Bible instead of the original Greek! (As the old saw goes,
If the King James was good enough for Saint Paul, it's good enough
for me.)

Reality is never that neat, however, and in this case we need to face
up to the facts. The King James was not given by God but was a translation by a group of scholars in the early seventeenth century who
based their rendition on a faulty Greek text.
(October 16, 2012 at 1:41 am)Annik Wrote: Yehoshua is Jesus' properly translated name (funnily enough) as I understand it.

I know that, this version calls him Rebbe Melech HaMoshiach Yehoshua or renders Jesus as Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach (Master King Messiah). It's a very odd Messianic Christian paraphrase.

Only some of the wackiest denominations insist in calling God "Yahweh" and Jesus as Yeshua, Yahoshua, Yashua, Y'shua, Yehoshua, or Yahshuah.
it`s not so much the translations, as the interpretations wich make me mad.
The weird silly stuff people think the bible says:
Warning some might find content disturbing:

As well as I find people who simply ignore the babaric parts of the bible, disturbing:

Conservapedia has a plan to translate the Bible into "Conservative language." What they mean by "Conservative language" only Andy Schlafly knows, but in execution, it means that, in the words of RationalWiki, "he has been altering the text of the KJV on a word-for-word and idea-for-idea basis to eradicate words and concepts that he feels threaten his personal concept of Christian Conservatism."

Here's RationalWiki's page on it.

And here's the Conservative Bible Project itself.

This has to be the worst Bible Translation, bar none.

Surprisingly, given that public prayer is maniacally important to Schlafly, Matthew 6:5-6 is more or less intact, except that "they have recieved their reward" has become "they will get what's coming to them."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Asking for the worst is like asking which turd smells worst.
(October 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Asking for the worst is like asking which turd smells worst.

How did I know you would not be able to actually supply an answer?

Jesus is just the Greek translation of what would be also translated as Joshua, which I believe means God with us.

On worst, it depends on if you mean the Old Testament or New Testament. The worst of course is the New World Translation, the one created by Jehovah's Witnesses so their unBiblical BS would actually be allowed.

The Message though quite insightful for the New Testament is utter crap with the Old Testament.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Go up to post #3, asshole.
"The Fools Bible": 1763: Psalm 14:1 reads "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God", rather than "...there is no God". The printers were fined £3,000 and all copies ordered destroyed.

"Unrighteous Bible" or "Wicked Bible" 1653: Cambridge Press: Another edition carrying this title omits a "not" before the word "inherit", making I Corinthians 6:9 read "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall inherit the kingdom of God?..." In addition, Romans 6:13 reads "Neither yield ye your members as instruments of righteousness into sin..." where it should read "unrighteousness".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_errata

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44113 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How do theists justify the translations of the scriptures? Macoleco 44 6463 October 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ranking the world's worst religions Nihilist Virus 35 11734 January 5, 2018 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Worst Christian Video EVER Made Foxaèr 8 1511 October 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Worst pastor, preechur, evangelist, priest, reverend ??? vorlon13 26 7296 November 16, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What's your favorite (or the worst, in your opinion) bible passage? renatoab 22 4826 May 2, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Razzle
  Worst Arguments For Christianity Pizza 115 15569 January 26, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7450 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  So there are how many translations now? everythingafter 16 4757 April 7, 2011 at 10:31 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko