Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your values?
What are your values?
I got the idea for this thread from Pool's recent thread.

Make a list of some of the more important values you strive to live your life by.

As an example, here are a few things on a short list:

Respect all people
Be humble
Live a moral life
Be generous
Don't be self righteous
Forgive others

Yours?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: What are your values?
Do no harm.
Forgive others.
Keep an open mind.
Resist the urge to eat babies.
Be open to criticism.
(January 7, 2018 at 12:28 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Resist the urge to eat babies.

You say it as if it's okay to eat children or adults.
1.  Resist the deadening hand of primitive mythology.
Do things I like doing.
Avoid doing things I don't like doing.
(January 7, 2018 at 12:46 am)Alexmahone Wrote: You say it as if it's okay to eat children or adults.

Exactly. Children and adults are okay. Babies are delicious.
Intellectual honesty, which involves such things as:
Openmindedness (willingness to modify/switch views in light of confronting new evidence)
Respect for logic
Willingness to have one's views challenged. No view should be held so sacred as to not be permitted such luxury.

Forgive or not forgive? That is up to each person to decide if they want to or not. Personally, I only forgive when the other person genuinely seeks that forgiveness with remorse and repentance, and they are doing so with my wellbeing and morale in my (or was it their?) best interests. This is IRL, of course (not Internet), and in the case of repeated abusive behavior.

Keep bonding with the people you really care about. I can't stress this enough. One day, we will all be gone, without each other's company to enjoy. So make the best of your time with them as best as you can, and never forget what they have done for you and what you have done for them.
This was the best I could come up with.

1. Respect: Give yourself space and give others space.
2. Peace: Better to do nothing than to make things worse.
3. Wisdom: If it's not broken don't fix it.
4. Enjoyment: If you find a good thing, hold onto it.
5. Ease: Don't try to relax because that defeats the object of what relaxation is all about.
6. Expression: Express yourself just because.
7. Duty: Don't say something serious unless you seriously mean it.
8. Presence: Cross bridges when you come to them... because that's the only way to actually cross a bridge.
9. Sadness: Better to let yourself be sad about something in the moment than forget why you're sad and find yourself depressed and empty with no known cause.
10. Stoicism: Ironically, nothing feels more free than truly coming to terms with the fact that you are not in control.
11. Progress: Learn from past mistakes, then forget them and just hope that you will do the right thing next time.
12. Experience: Don't chase 'things that cause happiness', just find experiences that you like and experience them. Happiness is not anything separate.
In no particular order

Live and let live - do what you want and let others do what they want. I guess you could call this personal freedom
Assume personal responsibility for your life and the choices you make
Empathy - do not harm anyone if possible, and that includes yourself
Friendship. That’s something I value a lot.
Truth. Always look for it and strive to live accordingly to it, whatever it may be.
Carpe diem. Be in the moment.
Trust that all will be well. That’s the closest thing I have to faith.

Can’t think of more right now, will add if I do.
Try to treat people how you want to be treated.
Judge people on their own merits.
Show love to the family.
Try to stay fit. I'm too lazy to be unfit. Carrying weight around looks like a lot of effort.
Conquer the world. I am british after all.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"? ErGingerbreadMandude 37 2874 January 7, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Anybody Have a Copy frichard Robinson's An Atheists Values can Borrow or Buy? Rhondazvous 1 549 June 18, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The impudent interference of the European's way of life and values rado84 27 4129 September 13, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  What values... lifesagift 7 1112 November 2, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  We played by your rules.. [was 'What JudeoChristian values have brought us'] Rokcet Scientist 19 3369 November 14, 2011 at 3:38 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko