Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admitting You're a Sinner
Admitting You're a Sinner
What's up with this?

It's the first step in the ABCs of becoming a Christian (Admit, Believe, Confess) but I always saw it as a rather unhealthy way to reflect upon one's misdeeds. Personally, I think something like "I made a mistake" or "That was terrible of me to do" is a much more beneficial as it is directed toward the action itself. It doesn't make the assumption: I did a bad thing, therefore I'm a bad person

What does it really even mean? 

Admit that I'm capable of moral transgressions? Sure, I'll admit that. But that doesn't mean I am anything, does it? 

Does it mean admit that I've commited moral transgressions in the past? I'll admit that too. And while you're at it, I'll probably fail in my moral responsibilities in the future too. I admit it.

Theists: Have I admitted in this post that I'm a sinner? Or is there more to it than that? If so, what's the difference?

Atheists: What do you make of all this "admit you're a sinner" stuff? What do you think motivates it? Is it a good, bad, or ugly way to reflect on moral transgressions?
RE: Admitting You're a Sinner
Well if you believe you’re a bad person the shame and the guilt will make you more susceptible to the riders’ of the high horses suggestions on how to not be a piece of shit. It’s a psychological control tool essentially. Because if you’re so bad and flawed who are you to question what the church says?

At its core at least, that’s the dynamic.

No it is not healthy. For me at least it was a lot of fuel to the fire of my own issues with self esteem.

Personally I choose to put aside any emotional aspect of the situation and learn from my mistake after making it right with whomever I hurt.
(January 8, 2018 at 2:57 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Atheists: What do you make of all this "admit you're a sinner" stuff? What do you think motivates it? Is it a good, bad, or ugly way to reflect on moral transgressions?

It's not just "admit you're a sinner" but also "if you want to be saved, there is a way, and that is in Jesus Christ only". It's this "Good News" that is what has attracted many to Christianity. It's the appeal of knowing that even though you can't seem to be able to control what you do, there is someone out there watching out for you and willing to hold you tight and not let you go ... if you just let him.

Obviously, I personally think it's an ugly way to look at it, but that's how Christian churches gain converts and keep them in hold as much as possible.
Sin lies only in harming another person unnecessarily (harming  yourself isn't sinful, just stupid).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If it's a sin to kill people then I'm a sinner. But I'm a piker compared to the christian god. Dude killed the planet!
In order to sell a cure you must first invent a disease. That's why many religions are so heavy handed with convincing people about how bad they are, how much of a sinner they are, even if they've never sinned they inherit the sins of their ancestors and only that religion can provide the cure and salvation.
The idea of sin is solely a human invention and shouldn't be treated as anything other.
In my opinion it's good to reflect upon one's moral transgressions and try to avoid committing them again. However I do believe that religion is unhealthy here as the focus of religion isn't really in helping people get past their own shortcomings as the main focus is just to make them religious in the first place, no matter what.
"History is something that very few people have been doing while everyone else was ploughing fields and carrying water buckets." -Yuval Noah Harari
(January 8, 2018 at 2:57 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: What's up with this?

It's the first step in the ABCs of becoming a Christian (Admit, Believe, Confess) but I always saw it as a rather unhealthy way to reflect upon one's misdeeds. Personally, I think something like "I made a mistake" or "That was terrible of me to do" is a much more beneficial as it is directed toward the action itself. It doesn't make the assumption: I did a bad thing, therefore I'm a bad person

Admit that I'm capable of moral transgressions? Sure, I'll admit that. But that doesn't mean I am anything, does it? (2)

Does it mean admit that I've commited moral transgressions in the past? I'll admit that too. And while you're at it, I'll probably fail in my moral responsibilities in the future too. I admit it.

Theists: Have I admitted in this post that I'm a sinner? (1)

1 - Yes.

2 - Yes. How would you define "good person" or "bad person" without reference to their deeds? I doubt such a definition would be useful.
(January 8, 2018 at 2:57 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: What's up with this?

Admit that I'm capable of moral transgressions? Sure, I'll admit that. But that doesn't mean I am anything, does it? 

Theists: Have I admitted in this post that I'm a sinner? Or is there more to it than that? If so, what's the difference?

I would say so. Basically it's just acknowledging that we all have our faults and none of us are morally perfect. Acknowledging this is the first step to feeling remorse for wrong doings, not feeling superior to others, and for striving to do the difficult right thing when we feel the natural urge to do the easy wrong thing. The concept itself is the same, regardless of whether you use the word sin or not.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I'm not all that familiar with the 'admitting you're a sinner' concept, but from what I gather, it doesn't seem very healthy.
No one's perfect, everyone makes mistakes, etc etc, so why admit that to the church or 'god' or whoever? Why give them that importance? I'd rather tell a human who I respect and trust. I don't get how admitting that makes people feel better, or improves them. If someone can explain, I'd be very interested to read it.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
(January 8, 2018 at 9:27 am)DodosAreDead Wrote: I'm not all that familiar with the 'admitting you're a sinner' concept, but from what I gather, it doesn't seem very healthy.
No one's perfect, everyone makes mistakes, etc etc, so why admit that to the church or 'god' or whoever? Why give them that importance? I'd rather tell a human who I respect and trust. I don't get how admitting that makes people feel better, or improves them. If someone can explain, I'd be very interested to read it.

It comes from the concept that a naked teenager in a theme park sinned and you inherited it. This was built in to make sure everybody NEEDS god and the priests are the way to get there. Sneaky way to guarantee repeat business.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14127 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  God is quite the sinner himself Kloud 38 8520 December 19, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  God loves the evil ones more than the good because he is the greatest sinner. Greatest I am 8 7440 July 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Is hell anything like -- do unto others and love the sinner? Greatest I am 11 9963 May 26, 2012 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Godscreated