Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube's New Monetization Rules
YouTube's New Monetization Rules
So as you have all probably known for about a week or so now, YouTube requires you to have 1,000 subscribers and 244,000 minutes or 4,000 hours watched in the past 12 months before they'll allow you to monetize your videos. The deadline to achieve this is February 20th.

I can understand this from a business perspective, I guess, but it still fucks over the smaller channels that, often times, have more interesting content than the bigger ones do. 

My channel only needs about 20 or 30 more subs and I'm completely fine. I make on average about $30 - $60 a month, which means I get my $100 and then some every 2 - 4 months. Not bad for just being a random channel where I just upload random crap. 

I feel really sorry for the channels that only have maybe 100 or 200 subscribers, though. Or those people with small channels where people might be depending on that $100 every few months. Maybe they save it up and use it to buy groceries or diapers for their kids, or at least use it to help with those things. Now YouTube is fucking them over, which really kind of sucks. 

If you wanna sub to me, though I feel ridiculous putting this in here, my channel is here. But only sub if you like some of my content. Don't just sub for no reason... unless you wanna. https://www.youtube.com/mechaghostman2

So what are your thoughts on this whole thing with YouTube? Are their actions causing the platform to become a sinking ship?
RE: YouTube's New Monetization Rules
YouTube is stupid.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
What I find amazing is that they pay anyone anything, not that they pay too little... I've never understood this ad funding lark when the whole world hates adverts and avoids them like the plague. But anyway, how does it breakdown... how does it work? After you've got the minimum requirements, how is it worked out... is it a commission based on views, likes, or subs or is it a fixed rate? Just out of curiosity.
It's only about the money these days. The Cold War was nothing compared to the Cash War.
(January 27, 2018 at 3:26 am)emjay Wrote: What I find amazing is that they pay anyone anything, not that they pay too little... I've never understood this ad funding lark when the whole world hates adverts and avoids them like the plague. But anyway, how does it breakdown... how does it work? After you've got the minimum requirements, how is it worked out... is it a commission based on views, likes, or subs or is it a fixed rate? Just out of curiosity.

They put ads on your videos, and every time someone clicks on one, the companies that are advertising pay money. And the content creators keep 60% of that.
I subscribed just for the hell of it because I know what it's like to need followers for your personal work.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(January 27, 2018 at 11:05 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote:
(January 27, 2018 at 3:26 am)emjay Wrote: What I find amazing is that they pay anyone anything, not that they pay too little... I've never understood this ad funding lark when the whole world hates adverts and avoids them like the plague. But anyway, how does it breakdown... how does it work? After you've got the minimum requirements, how is it worked out... is it a commission based on views, likes, or subs or is it a fixed rate? Just out of curiosity.

They put ads on your videos, and every time someone clicks on one, the companies that are advertising pay money. And the content creators keep 60% of that.

Right, thanks for that Smile So it's not what I thought at all... it's nothing to do with hits, likes, and subs... only indirectly in that they increase exposure of the ads.
(January 27, 2018 at 11:14 am)mlmooney89 Wrote: I subscribed just for the hell of it because I know what it's like to need followers for your personal work.

Thank you. Smile

(January 27, 2018 at 12:01 pm)emjay Wrote:
(January 27, 2018 at 11:05 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: They put ads on your videos, and every time someone clicks on one, the companies that are advertising pay money. And the content creators keep 60% of that.

Right, thanks for that Smile So it's not what I thought at all... it's nothing to do with hits, likes, and subs... only indirectly in that they increase exposure of the ads.

Yeah pretty much. It's just based on how many ads the viewers click, and how much money each ad is worth.
I don't really see why advertisers have the same mentality that they've always had. It's a new game. It used to be that companies would specifically sponsor a given program. If the program then delivered a controversial message, advertisers would withdraw their support.

But these days, with algorithms determining where ads end up, no one holds sponsors responsible for endorsing unpopular material.

Side note: If anyone watches pseudoscience debunking vids on youtube, it's funny to see that often the ad is often for the thing being debunked-- because ads for products are often selected due to the name of a particular thing being mentioned in the title of the video. (ie. a video which examines the lack of efficacy of essential oils will feature ads for essential oils.) It's hilarious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cliff Notes, For Forum Rules. Goosebump 18 526 February 12, 2024 at 7:01 am
Last Post: no one
  Changes on YouTube Gwaithmir 47 2109 November 22, 2023 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What are you watching on Youtube? Angrboda 11 621 July 19, 2023 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What are you currently watching on YouTube? Angrboda 13 766 January 14, 2022 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  youtube recommendation algorithm gave me this gem Cepheus Ace 0 263 April 27, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Road Rules and jerks..... Brian37 72 5020 March 5, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Parenting rules? Losty 36 1619 September 10, 2018 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  UK TV Licensing and Live YouTube Edwardo Piet 7 977 September 27, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Soundless Youtube What The Fuck?! Edwardo Piet 13 1708 April 24, 2016 at 5:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Best atheist YouTube channel Enngage 16 2924 April 7, 2016 at 3:55 am
Last Post: Enngage