Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes on YouTube
Changes on YouTube
What's going on at YouTube? My "Favorites" file has recently disappeared. I've also been getting pop-up messages that ad blockers, which I have on my PC, will not be tolerated on YouTube. Sorry, but I feel it is my constitutional right not to have my privacy invaded by unwanted advertising, which I would be ignoring anyway. Is my account about to be terminated? Can they legally do that? What are my legal rights in this case? Has anyone here had a similar experience recently?
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Changes on YouTube
Profit motivated. I complied with the adblocker ban. Nothing onerous about it, just a tad annoying at times. Overall I've noted little impact.
(November 11, 2023 at 10:36 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: What's going on at YouTube? My "Favorites" file has recently disappeared. I've also been getting pop-up messages that ad blockers, which I have on my PC, will not be tolerated on YouTube. Sorry, but I feel it is my constitutional right not to have my privacy invaded by unwanted advertising, which I would be ignoring anyway. Is my account about to be terminated? Can they legally do that? What are my legal rights in this case? Has anyone here had a similar experience recently?

I don’t think you have any legal rights in this regard. I imagine it’s no different from print ads in a magazine, or adverts in the days of broadcast television. Be mindful that you’re using their platform and are expected to follow the rules they dictate.

If you want to continue using YouTube, you might consider disabling your ad blockers.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I reflexively mute commercials on my TV. Just one more irritant to be shrugged off.
(November 11, 2023 at 11:04 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Profit motivated. I complied with the adblocker ban. Nothing onerous about it, just a tad annoying at times. Overall I've noted little impact.

Unblocked ads for the first time in about a decade on YouTube a few weeks ago. It’s a pain in the ass, but at least I haven’t gotten redirected to a virus yet.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I was using vivaldi browser with UblockOrigin I managed to get around the youtube adblock ban until a few days ago. Now I have switched to Librawolfe browser... works perfectly!
I don't see why I should be forced to spend my time watching ads for products I will never buy, it wastes my time and theirs.
I have not watched broadcast TV for over 10 years because the ads were ruining the programs
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 11, 2023 at 12:15 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I reflexively mute commercials on my TV. Just one more irritant to be shrugged off.

I actually prefer commercials a lot of times. It gives my incredibly short attention span the regular breaks it needs. I wouldn't want to watch football or baseball without those regular breaks. It would seem like something wasn't right. And I have no interest in condensed games. Part of the pleasure is in the pace and rhythm of the game.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 11, 2023 at 1:03 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I was using vivaldi browser with UblockOrigin I managed to get around the youtube adblock ban until a few days ago.  Now I have switched to Librawolfe browser... works perfectly!
I don't see why I should be forced to spend my time watching ads for products I will never buy, it wastes my time and theirs.
I have not watched broadcast TV for over 10 years because the ads were ruining the programs

I don't actually watch the ads. I just zone out for the five seconds and click skip.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
On the level of fingers on a chalkboard to Fox News the Youtube ads are pretty low. If they start interrupting content that may change.
I do not use YT enough to be concerned.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you watching on Youtube? Angrboda 11 627 July 19, 2023 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What are you currently watching on YouTube? Angrboda 13 778 January 14, 2022 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  youtube recommendation algorithm gave me this gem Cepheus Ace 0 269 April 27, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  YouTube's New Monetization Rules Mechaghostman2 8 1508 January 28, 2018 at 6:50 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  UK TV Licensing and Live YouTube Edwardo Piet 7 992 September 27, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Soundless Youtube What The Fuck?! Edwardo Piet 13 1711 April 24, 2016 at 5:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Best atheist YouTube channel Enngage 16 2948 April 7, 2016 at 3:55 am
Last Post: Enngage
  What's with all the name changes? Joods 44 4312 November 25, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Type your username in youtube/post the first video c172 45 5181 September 24, 2015 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Nine
  Your favourite YouTube video Sejanus 15 2302 May 29, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Sejanus