Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just saw this garbage on my local news.
Just saw this garbage on my local news.
Some may know about the famous hill where you appear to defy gravity and your car seems to roll up  hill.  Well just found out there is more than one. One right here in NC,.

BUT some cleaver con artists who refuse to admit that it is an optical illusion, bought some land, rebuilt the interior to make things like a ball "rolling upwards" and water "flowing upwards" with even a swing that when you take your feet off the floor you "fall upwards".

I am sick of shit like this. I may hate Penn's economic views, but as far as his stage act, he admits it is all a trick.

1. NO YOUR CAR is not actually falling up hill. The topography only makes it look that way from your point of view in the car.

2. GRAVITY will pull any object down when it is released with no aid. Nothing falls up on it's own.

I don't mind a good illusion or trick, but when you start selling that lie as real, then you piss me off because you are a con at that point, and not an artist.

I wish I had a clip of this bullshit, but no link to the story itself. I did shoot the News Station who aired it, and called them out on it.
RE: Just saw this garbage on my local news.
I've actually never heard of this. I have seen the illusion where a fast mooving car's wheels will start to look like they're spinning backwards while going forwards because of the hubcap.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 3, 2018 at 8:05 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I've actually never heard of this. I have seen the illusion where a fast mooving car's wheels will start to look like they're spinning backwards while going forwards because of the hubcap.

Well the morons who fall for what I just posted, are worldwide for all sorts of crap. Like the floating Mineret(sp) or the India boy making a rope go from limp to standing up straight and climbing it.

AGAIN, it is one thing to create an illusion or trick and admit that. I still like human creativity sure. But when you lie about reality you are at that point a con artist, not an artist.

But yea, there are hills that if you release your breaks, with the car in neutral it can appear to roll up hill, but the reality is you are STILL having gravity pull your vehicle downhill. It only seems to be because of your perspective, and more importantly, your own gullibility.
There is another false perception I have heard in America people have fallen for.

"Floating lights"..... Gullible people will swear it is space aliens. But what it really is, and again, it goes back to topography and point of view. Some roads in valleys, depending on time of dusk or dawn, and weather, can cause the headlights light to be bent in the atmosphere giving the illusion of floating.
(February 3, 2018 at 7:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Some may know about the famous hill where you appear to defy gravity and your car seems to roll up  hill.  Well just found out there is more than one. One right here in NC,.

BUT some cleaver con artists who refuse to admit that it is an optical illusion, bought some land, rebuilt the interior to make things like a ball "rolling upwards" and water "flowing upwards" with even a swing that when you take your feet off the floor you "fall upwards".

I am sick of shit like this. I may hate Penn's economic views, but as far as his stage act, he admits it is all a trick.

1. NO YOUR CAR is not actually falling up hill. The topography only makes it look that way from your point of view in the car.

2. GRAVITY will pull any object down when it is released with no aid. Nothing falls up on it's own.

I don't mind a good illusion or trick, but when you start selling that lie as real, then you piss me off because you are a con at that point, and not an artist.

I wish I had a clip of this bullshit, but no link to the story itself. I did shoot the News Station who aired it, and called them out on it.

Yeah, a taxi driver in Belize tried to show us a hill like this once. Except I got it backwards (the optical illusion didn't work) and my dad debunked it there and then. Poor taxi driver showed that to the wrong tourists.
(February 3, 2018 at 8:05 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I've actually never heard of this. I have seen the illusion where a fast mooving car's wheels will start to look like they're spinning backwards while going forwards because of the hubcap.

It does that on film.
That apparent slow backward rotation is a stroboscopic artifact generated by the frame rate at which the scene is recorded. If you watch enough, you can see a slow forward rotation at times, as well.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(February 4, 2018 at 12:15 pm)Fireball Wrote: That apparent slow backward rotation is a stroboscopic artifact generated by the frame rate at which the scene is recorded. If you watch enough, you can see a slow forward rotation at times, as well.

Yeah, the example I saw was a stagecoach.
(February 3, 2018 at 7:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Some may know about the famous hill where you appear to defy gravity and your car seems to roll up  hill.  Well just found out there is more than one. One right here in NC,.

Yeah, there's a 'gravity hill' pretty close to me in the Los Angeles area.

My girlfriend's daughter started claiming it is 'magic', but I proved to her it was not. A simple bubble level did the job.

Also, up in Northern California, there is a house called "The Mystery Spot" that uses this illusion to great effect.

10 magnetic hills

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
A lot of people use these illusions as examples that gravity has no anomolies, but they are wrong, although the differences in gravitational pull, and also its directions are minimal, so we accept the popular idea that gravity is seamless and consistent.