Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Ogen Stiers Dies
David Ogen Stiers Dies
Most famous perhaps for Major Winchester on M*A*S*H, but also a poignant role as a scientist on Star Trek:TNG who fell for Counselor Troi's mother Luxanna (Majel Barret)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: David Ogen Stiers Dies
I'm an abnormally big fan of M*A*S*H, especially for someone born 6 years, 9 months, 15 days, 13 hours, 30 minutes after they aired the last episode, so, here's two of his best moments in the series:

And now for a role my generation is more likely to remember:

Sadly, I could not find any DOS-centric clips from Better Off Dead, and the three-video limit would have made it even tougher to pick something.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Crap.

I've just been re-watching StarGate Atlantis where he played the leader of the replicators.

Sad
Dying to live, living to die.
Yep. I read about this. What a good actor. His character brought a gust of fresh air into M*A*S*H's storylines. Larry Linville was excellent as Burns, but Winchester brought some much-needed depth to the "villain" role.

Damn that shown was good! I like how it evolved: the early "Trapper" seasons, then Hunnicutt brought a new dimension. Burns was out before we got tired of him. Hoolihan went from "Hot Lips" to a strong female role. And David Ogden Stiers did a wonderful job helping bring the show to its ultimate conclusion.

R.I.P.
I also quite liked him as the mayor in 'Doc Hollywood'.  I never knew (until he died and I read more about him) that he was also such a talented musician. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Man, I loved that show, Our family watched it religiously (ha!) when it first ran, and in syndication. It was a show that could make you laugh, cry, and think - about the absurdity of war as a backdrop for the human condition. Winchester's character breathed essential new life into the show.

I didn't know until after his death that he lived and conducted a symphony in Oregon, not far from my Dad's place.
Villain- He was an IRS person in "Harry's War"
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(March 4, 2018 at 11:27 pm)Fireball Wrote: Villain- He was an IRS person in "Harry's War"

Apparently, he consodered it his favourite role, saying in an interview in the mid-1980s (Can't find the original video) when asked the question: ""There was this movie about the IRS and I was the biggest [bleep] in the office...." Then again, this was apparently in the mid-1980s and he still had something like 30 years of his career left to go, even if it was mostly as part of a Disney Stock Actor's company.

And it looks like a very fucking stupid movie because it seems to believe the income tax is optional, when it's really not. I'm currently taking an income tax accounting class (well, an abortion of one, anyway) and I seriously have to say I'll keep that in mind if I ever feel the need to bang my head against the wall and Trump is somehow out of the picture

Hollywood, pro-tip: if you feel the need to do the s plot in a movie, maybe make it less black-and-white, and, if you're going to go into a subject with real-world facts, at least make it so people who actually know what you're talking about don't shout "DON'T TALK SHIT" at the screen.

Seriously, the same month Harry's War was released, Stephen King published a novel about much the same thing: a little guy fighting a war against government bureaucracy threatening his livelihood. And it's a legitimate grievance, since Barton Dawes' home is going to be destroyed because his city was required to build a certain number of miles of road per year and his neighborhood was going to be a casualty. And they're not not saying that eminent domain laws don't exist and the government has tricked them into thinking they do; he's saying he won't stand for his home being a casualty of all this. And yet, there has been no film adaptation. According to Wikipedia, we get a three-hour version of The Langoliers, but nobody's even tried to adapt it for film.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
So sad to hear this. He was one of my favorite actors. Sad
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Just looked at his movie list. Had no clue he was in that many animations.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alan Thick dies, aged 69 c172 15 1297 December 14, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  A man dies and goes to Purgatory, is allowed to have any questions he wants answered Heat 1 1020 January 23, 2016 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Promised Land (1972) by David A. Hess Aractus 0 525 October 7, 2015 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Bird - Hit By Pitch - Dies Minimalist 12 1508 July 8, 2014 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Nibiru and Doomsday 2012 - Questions and Answers with David Morrison (NASA) Justtristo 6 4388 April 15, 2011 at 10:01 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  David Tennant with an American Accent Eilonnwy 3 3856 August 20, 2010 at 11:36 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One
  David Attenborough Kyuuketsuki 1 1682 May 10, 2009 at 6:52 am
Last Post: Giff