Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Privilege
Christian Privilege
I thought this was an interesting read, and is written by a Christian, to boot. And yes, I agree that Christian privilege is a thing in this world (just like male privilege and white privilege).

Christian Privilege Is a Real Thing: and a Dangerous Thing
Read more at Patheos: Christian Privilege Is a Real Thing: and a Dangerous Thing

An excerpt from the article:

Quote:So what I told this group of Human Resources leaders, who are seeking to make their workplaces more open and diverse, is that I’m the last person they should be asking. There are plenty of Christians out there who will tell you that they are persecuted–because privilege often makes people think that their every belief should be written into law and imposed on others–but I am not one of those Christians. Far from being offended by other expressions of faith, my hope is that Christians in the workplace can be the ones advocating for better understanding and more consideration for our brothers and sisters of other traditions. I’d hope that we can begin to recognize how our own privilege has unintended negative consequences for others, and that we can help employers create a more diverse culture.

Oh, and INB4 "I'm a Christian, but I've had to work really hard to be where I'm at now in life".
RE: Christian Privilege
The last employer (claimed to have no religious affiliation) I worked for had no clue and put on employee events as if everyone were christian. 

I sent anonymous memos to HR pointing out the companies religious discrimination of several occasions. A few times they changed, most of the time they didn't.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Jew and Muslim privilege is probably real too depending on where you work.  

Being a Christian might help you out in some work places but no place that I've ever worked. I'd say they're definitely in the minority of people I've worked with, most people I work with and talk about religion are either atheist or Muslim.  I think America takes Christianity more seriously than the UK though.  

There are rumors in my workplace of Muslims being privileged because the call center people are Muslim and they can get their days off sorted out quicker, this is coming from the Muslims, they brag about it.  I don't really believe them though because I'm not Muslim never have a problem getting whatever I want sorted out myself.

These simplistic labels of privilege really annoy me though, I expressed it before with white privilege which could be seen to be bias because I am white, but I'm not Christian and this label of Christian privilege equally annoys me.  There's a million different types of advantages and disadvantages and situations where a previous advantage could be a disadvantage. 

A Christian having an advantage in a specific situation because they're Christian is real, but it's not real as in it's something they have, all the time, it's not attached to them if they go to a Muslim country.  Or if you're the wrong type of Christian and get caught up in some sectarian conflict.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(March 17, 2018 at 1:13 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Jew and Muslim privilege is probably real too depending on where you work.  
Where we live.  Where we live.   The concept of privilege is not a comment on whether or not muslims get away with shit in the local muslim cake bakery.  

Quote:Being a Christian might help you out in some work places but no place that I've ever worked. I'd say they're definitely in the minority of people I've worked with, most people I work with and talk about religion are either atheist or Muslim.  I think America takes Christianity more seriously than the UK though.  
Here, in our country of christian privilege, it simply helps not to be a muslim at all.  Similarly, in the uk, you don't hear the usual suspects bitching about the anglican church.  

Quote:A Christian having an advantage in a specific situation because they're Christian is real, but it's not real as in it's something they have, all the time, it's not attached to them if they go to a Muslim country.  Or if you're the wrong type of Christian and get caught up in some sectarian conflict.
Privilege is distinct from the sorts of situational advantages you're thinking of.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 17, 2018 at 1:56 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(March 17, 2018 at 1:13 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Jew and Muslim privilege is probably real too depending on where you work.  
Where we live.  Where we live.   The concept of privilege is not a comment on whether or not muslims get away with shit in the local muslim cake bakery.  

Quote:Being a Christian might help you out in some work places but no place that I've ever worked. I'd say they're definitely in the minority of people I've worked with, most people I work with and talk about religion are either atheist or Muslim.  I think America takes Christianity more seriously than the UK though.  
Here, in our country of christian privilege, it simply helps not to be a muslim at all.  Similarly, in the uk, you don't hear the usual suspects bitching about the anglican church.  

Quote:A Christian having an advantage in a specific situation because they're Christian is real, but it's not real as in it's something they have, all the time, it's not attached to them if they go to a Muslim country.  Or if you're the wrong type of Christian and get caught up in some sectarian conflict.
Privilege is distinct from the sorts of situational advantages you're thinking of.

Muslims getting away with shit if non muslims couldn't get away with in a local bakery is by definition an example of a specific group being privileged in that bakery.  That is the definition of privilege, a specific group of people which have an advantage/immunity available to them.

There aren't many non situational advantages.  Maybe some I can think of is the privilege of being healthy.  Most privileges rely on a situation surrounding the benefit resulting in the advantage.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(March 17, 2018 at 2:23 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Muslims getting away with shit if non muslims couldn't get away with in a local bakery is by definition an example of a specific group being privileged in that bakery.  That is the definition of privilege, a specific group of people which have an advantage/immunity available to them.
The subject and definition of privilege being used..is, again, not an issue of what happens at the local bakery.  It doesn't matter whether or not muslims are somehow privileged at a muslim bakery.

Quote:There aren't many non situational advantages.  Maybe some I can think of is the privilege of being healthy.  Most privileges rely on a situation surrounding the benefit resulting in the advantage.

I'd agree here..there really aren't many non situational advantages.  The only ones that would fit the bill are those expressed widely across a cultures majority viewpoint and present in a wide range of situations..not just the local muslim bakery..and this is the range of things that privilege, as it's being used..refers to.

The concept of privilege is not a comment on whether or not someone has it better than someone else at a specific bakery. It's the fact that my expectations for a broad range of scenarios outside of some bakery where they like me can be derived from my possessing the privileged attribute....or being perceived as possessing it. I am perceived as a white christian male in a country with white privilege male privilege and christian privilege. I get the benefits of the parts that don't accurately describe me anyway.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Another workplace issue for a 12 Stepper acquaintance of mine is his severe medically caused food issues. His management frequently provides sweet rolls, pizza, burgers for meeting sales goals and targets. Unfortunately, with his med problems, it is very unusual that he can actually eat any of the treats. He approached HR with a concern the company was not accommodating his med issues. The company started remitting to him a prorated amount of money for the dollar value of his share of the treats. Turns out, that isn't really the right way to handle such an issue, the company needs to provide food he can eat per the ADA . They tried that a couple of times, but there were issues with coworkers eating the wrong treats, and then some cross contamination issues with the rest of the food. Eventually, HR took him aside and said 'off the record' my friend needs to drop the issue and be satisfied with the $$$ reimbursement idea. The alternative is to drop a VERY popular perk for everyone else and let the chips fall where they may in regards to repercussions.

In this case, the issue is a medical condition, but I could see halal or kosher issues being a similar challenge for employers and employees. I've been to company holiday parties at bars and such. Didn't occur to me at the time, but just being a 12 Stepper at a company event in a bar could be an issue with some folks. Additionally, I can imagine bar food as being 'suspect' for observant Jews and Moslems. Maybe even some Christians . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

While I wouldn't necessarrily consider the spread at the next company snoozefest an issue of privilege,. this does provide an example of how privilege manifests itself as a burden.

When something becomes the orthodoxy of whatever - lets say little sandwiches with toothpicks in them..a huge logistic backbone arises to service that orthodoxy.  This reduces the market space of the heterodox..and makes it inconvenient and impractical to cater to the heterodox.  In the case of sandwiches with toothpicks..probably not a huge deal.  In the case of law enforcement methodologies....massively big deal.
In Texas Christian privilege is a very real, very annoying thing. In my company their motto is "Faith first, Family second, job third" and you can get "spend life wisely" points and earn days off. The kicker? You have to get points in all five pillars and one is faith. You have to read religious books, attend bible study, stuff like that to get the points.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
A business in Illinois a friend worked for set up a resource center for employees. It was brochures and pamphlets all from a conservative religious family protection outfit, and all the advice boiled down to going to church and not putting up with any modern era 'issues' in your home life.

No one was required to look at it, I suppose, but a pretty clear message from management what they expected in regards to conduct from their employees when they were off duty.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89281 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7417 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6337 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej