Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else overthink the most basic shit?
Anybody else overthink the most basic shit?
It kind of drives me nuts, not gonna lie.  Ever since leaving religion, it seems like the “questioning” bug just won’t slow its roll, like at all.  I obsessively question everything, especially stuff it seems like everybody takes for granted.  To the point of absurdity, sometimes, and the more I think the more I realize there are no real ultimate answers.  Just more questions.  

Has anyone else experienced this since leaving your religion?  And if you have, how did you pull yourself back into the real world?
RE: Anybody else overthink the most basic shit?
(March 21, 2018 at 9:42 am)Kookaburra Wrote: It kind of drives me nuts, not gonna lie.  Ever since leaving religion, it seems like the “questioning” bug just won’t slow its roll, like at all.  I obsessively question everything, especially stuff it seems like everybody takes for granted.  To the point of absurdity, sometimes, and the more I think the more I realize there are no real ultimate answers.  Just more questions.  

Has anyone else experienced this since leaving your religion?  And if you have, how did you pull yourself back into the real world?

Not now no. My "journey" to my current "off" position took me almost a decade. There wasn't one nail but a collection of questioning over that time. But now, no. I don't look back. 

Once you accept the age of the planet and the universe it is obvious it was not put here just for one species by a sky wizard.
[Image: quote-i-think-therefore-i-am-rene-descartes-304947.jpg]
I don't overthink religious stuff, but I do overthink general life stuff. I guess it's the writer in me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I try to go for big stretches of time without engaging in propositional thought. I just do things and notice things without engaging in any narrative commentary. Doesn't mean wordy thoughts don't arise but when they do I just notice those too and carry on with what I'm doing. At other times of course I can be a regular chatterbox. I just try not to run that stuff into the ground.
It seems like a lot of people who lose their faith end up with negative space they need to fill.  I think we see that space forming when the religious come here and say "if there is no god..then how do you explain.................".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I over think everything but religion. Then again I left religion when I was 15 or 16 and had been questioning it for years so I never had to over think anything religious.
God watching over us? Easy answer, no.
If my husband meant something by that text message two weeks ago: possibly, let's think about it until we are sure he is unhappy and secretly hates me.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Getting involved with a group of like minded people (in person) helped me out quite a bit.  Both with the questions and the social void that comes with leaving religion.  If you are close to a major city, certainly there are groups that meet regularly.  I live in the middle of nowhere but about 30 mins from a large city and there are atheist, humanist and rationalist groups there.  One group meets at a bar once a week to just bullshit and drink beer. Smile
This quote calms my thoughts and motivates me:
[Image: try-to-always-get-at-least-one-more-rep-gymquotes.jpg]
(March 21, 2018 at 11:22 am)rskovride Wrote: Getting involved with a group of like minded people (in person) helped me out quite a bit.  Both with the questions and the social void that comes with leaving religion.  If you are close to a major city, certainly there are groups that meet regularly.  I live in the middle of nowhere but about 30 mins from a large city and there are atheist, humanist and rationalist groups there.  One group meets at a bar once a week to just bullshit and drink beer. Smile

Same! I started the first freethinkers meetup here a few years ago. It’s still going, but I stepped down from leading it, because I just wanted to hangout and it started getting too worky. Some of us still have our own thing, though, where we hang out at bars, drink beer, and talk without censorship. It’s great!

About the OP. I overthink a lot maybe. It gives me poetry material, though, so we good.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time for some Halloween shit. brewer 142 5070 November 4, 2023 at 4:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone else planting dandelions? arewethereyet 5 721 May 1, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1069 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1967 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  What we really lost in all this shit... Gawdzilla Sama 7 1139 April 20, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2588 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does anyone else remember...? Cecelia 20 1780 July 30, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5727 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2060 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 3048 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am