Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis Black and George Carlin nail it
Lewis Black and George Carlin nail it
They get it completely right!

This is a legitimate response to Neo's thread, because that thread got closed, this isn't even in the humor section and isn't supposed to be funny. It's a serious response. So I hope the staff don't take it as me 'trolling his thread' when his thread is fucking closed.

If the thread hadn't been closed I would simply have posted it there. I actually went to post it now and completely forgot it got closed just because it was in the feedback subforum despite the fact that a discussion came out of it.

I'm glad Tibs wouldn't be against leaving threads like that open in future. I think it's a good idea. Besides, if an interesting discussion develops some of us will just want to take that topic elsewhere without being seen as trolling a closed thread.

I understand that I made a thread in the humor section that was comprised entirely of swear words.... but that was the joke. That there's nothing wrong with it. I understand that that breaks the letter of The Prime Directive rule, but I didn't think it went against the purpose of the rule at all because it was in the humor section and was intended fully as a joke thread, not a spam thread. It wasn't intended to troll anyone, it was intended to make people laugh. The fact it made people laugh by responding to a thread isn't exactly relevant when I couldn't respond to that thread to make the joke there because it was closed.

Anyways, there's literally nothing wrong with swearing in and of itself and I thought these forums were all about people saying what they want as long as they don't disrupt anything. Swearing doesn't disrupt things, and a thread in a humor section can't exactly go against the prime directive if it's intended purpose is only to make people laugh. Threads on the rest of the forum are intended to promote discussion, but humor threads aren't there to talk in all seriousness about the mechanics behind jokes... they're intended to be funny. The fact the letter of the rule doesn't cover the humor subforum yet is clear, but it still doesn't go against the purpose of the prime directive. The prime directive doesn't apply to silly threads in the humor section. Just as Ryleh is a little different and it's impossible to break the flaming rule there (and I got banned for flaming when I only ever did a fully series of flaming inside there, but that's another topic).

Anyways, the point of this thread is that there's nothing wrong with swearing or trying to be funny in the humor forum... and I want to make it clear that a legitimate response to a closed thread or joking about a closed thread aren't trolling. If I'd posted the exact same things inside that thread it would be allowed, but I couldn't because it got closed. It's fucking stupid.
RE: Lewis Black and George Carlin nail it
Well, fuck! 😝
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Afuckingmen!
I agree that just saying these words shouldn't elicit the reactions that it sometimes gets. I think part of the problem goes back to the puritan mindset, where body parts and sex are considered dirty and vulgar. Because most curse words are either related to sex, or some sort of body part/function. Shit. Fuck. Tits. Piss. Cunt.

As long as you aren't directing it at someone to tear them down just for thinking or acting differently, it shouldn't be a problem. Now insulting someone can be a different topic, depending on how it's done, and how often, and all that. It turns out words can hurt, if that's all you hear day in and day out, until someone kills themselves. But just saying "holy shit" when something surprising happens shouldn't cause an uproar.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 25, 2018 at 1:29 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I agree that just saying these words shouldn't elicit the reactions that it sometimes gets. I think part of the problem goes back to the puritan mindset, where body parts and sex are considered dirty and vulgar. Because most curse words are either related to sex, or some sort of body part/function. Shit. Fuck. Tits. Piss. Cunt.

That's why I tend to jump the euphemisms completely and just talk about my penis.

Quote:As long as you aren't directing it at someone to tear them down just for thinking or acting differently, it shouldn't be a problem. Now insulting someone can be a different topic, depending on how it's done, and how often, and all that. It turns out words can hurt, if that's all you hear day in and day out, until someone kills themselves. But just saying "holy shit" when something surprising happens shouldn't cause an uproar.

Indeed. There's a big difference between words that are considered "insulting" and actually insulting someone. You can insult someone without using swear words and using swear words may be considered "insulting language" by prudes but if you're not insulting anyone in particular then you're not insulting anyone in particular.
Quote:I agree that just saying these words shouldn't elicit the reactions that it sometimes gets.

Most of them really get upset when they are applied to their holy hobby horses.  Best reason I can think of for doing it!
(March 25, 2018 at 1:43 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(March 25, 2018 at 1:29 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I agree that just saying these words shouldn't elicit the reactions that it sometimes gets. I think part of the problem goes back to the puritan mindset, where body parts and sex are considered dirty and vulgar. Because most curse words are either related to sex, or some sort of body part/function. Shit. Fuck. Tits. Piss. Cunt.

That's why I tend to jump the euphemisms completely and just talk about my penis.

Quote:As long as you aren't directing it at someone to tear them down just for thinking or acting differently, it shouldn't be a problem. Now insulting someone can be a different topic, depending on how it's done, and how often, and all that. It turns out words can hurt, if that's all you hear day in and day out, until someone kills themselves. But just saying "holy shit" when something surprising happens shouldn't cause an uproar.

Indeed. There's a big difference between words that are considered "insulting" and actually insulting someone. You can insult someone without using swear words and using swear words may be considered "insulting language" by prudes but if you're not insulting anyone in particular then you're not insulting anyone in particular.

Indeed. You can make someone feel like shit without using the word shit. We need to et over this "bad word" stigma.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's all about being rational and being able to accurately notice what the actual problem is, while avoiding all the near misses, really.
When it comes to so-called 'racist' language, I can truly empathize with Carlin.

Not long ago, on another message board, some yammerhead opined that using the n-word under any circumstances and in any context makes you a racist, so I posted, 'The word "nigger" appears more than 200 times in Twain's Huckleberry Finn.  Does saying this make me a racist?'  She said 'Yes', blocked and reported me.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
She's not the only asshole out there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne...-word.html

Quote:American school bans Huckleberry Finn from lessons because of 'use of N-word'

History should be studied with the warts and all.  In fact, the warts are probably the most important part.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Pill Dating Theory? FrustratedFool 143 6765 August 30, 2023 at 6:11 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 455 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Manatees and George Takei Brian37 59 2245 March 11, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fun with black helicopters Athene 4 1002 September 2, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: tjakey
  Do you think George Carlin enjoys being ass raped by Satan as he burns in Hell? TeaPartyTeen 19 2828 January 3, 2015 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  "White" Man asks "Black" Christians, "Are you really this stupid?" Gooders1002 6 2920 March 23, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Fact is stranger than fiction: George Zimmerman signing autographs? *Deidre* 18 3439 March 12, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  My evil black weekend project popeyespappy 14 4483 June 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Rahul
Big Grin ROFL! Holy Man Tries To Kill Non-Believer With Black Magic (Video) Big Blue Sky 12 3709 June 10, 2013 at 12:49 am
Last Post: justin
  George Jefferson dies. Brian37 0 923 July 25, 2012 at 6:15 am
Last Post: Brian37