Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how pyschological is our pickiness to food.
how pyschological is our pickiness to food.
I know when I decided and prayed to like practically like all food, it happened. Before that, I was a very picky eater.  

It really happened to the extent, there isn't any food I have ate from sometime after (like a few months) that day but I enjoy.

Food even that I hated most, are some of my favorites now.
RE: how pyschological is our pickiness to food.
MK. That's not God. That's you eating food you don't like to make it look like your prayers were heard! Big Grin

Surely your God's left a bad taste in your mouth by now?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Let's not make it about God. I know right now I enjoy all food I eat.

Food I use to hate, I like. I think it's psychological. And we don't know how much control we have and power to change who we are.

Favorite food use to be lasagna up until a few years. One day I realized it was due to reading Garfield that I picked Lasagna as my favorite food. So I decided I don't want it to be my favorite.

I know I am free to choose what I like. I don't believe also that I don't choose who I have a crush on. Sure I don't choose all the chemical reactions that come when you are attracted to someone, but at the end, I decided if I am attracted to someone or not.

I believe choice. Choice is the fundamental thing that makes us human.

Most choices aren't apparent. They aren't apparent you've made them. But you have.
(April 16, 2018 at 6:50 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I know when I decided and prayed to like practically like all food, it happened. Before that, I was a very picky eater.  

It really happened to the extent, there isn't any food I have ate from sometime after (like a few months) that day but I enjoy.

Food even that I hated most, are some of my favorites now.

Mystic, I'm saying the same thing to you as I would any Christian, Jew, Buddhist or Hindu.

"Prayer" is nothing more than trying to convince yourself that talking to yourself has magical super natural powers.

In reality, you can choose to try different foods, but prayer isn't required to do that.

In reality, you won't burst into flames if you eat pork. It would be unwise to eat uncooked pork, but eating raw eggs would also be unwise.

I never prayed about drinking dark beer, originally though, I didn't like it, but over time, I developed a taste for it. Now that I am used to it, I prefer it to pale beer. 

Hindu's wont burst into flames if they eat beef either.
The self isn't static. Your personal taste palette is just the ground level of things you can consciously change about yourself.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
There is really only one way to know if god has given you this gift...You must eat a ham sandwich and see if it too tastes good.
I believe in life before death.
(April 16, 2018 at 7:20 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Let's not make it about God.

You did just that at the top of the thread. Change your mind?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Not very psychological at all.

My middle child hates mayonnaise, mustard, and salad dressing. Anytime he eats any of them by accident --- for example if McDonalds decides to give him a hamburger with mustard on it, and he doesn't check first (though now days he always checks) he simply can't eat it. He nearly throws up from the taste.

If it were psychological then you'd expect him to eat the sandwich happily without knowing it had mustard on it.

Now you might suggest that he knows because of the taste. But it suggests that it's the taste he doesn't like, and not the psychological effect

Pickiness is an evolutionary trait designed to help us survive. Now if you force yourself to eat things again and again, you may develop a palette for them. But there's nothing wrong with being picky.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
Years ago I read a book about Wrestling for Streetfighting. (Not that I'd ever get into a street fight, I just found it interesting) The guy that wrote it said he was a former wrestling coach. He said that often the stuff we like to eat, with the exception of junk food, is the stuff that will enable us to perform at our best. I don't know if it's true or not.
He suggested that the stuff that's traditional food for different cultures may often be best for people that ethnically are a part of them. I'm sure I don't know.
(April 16, 2018 at 7:20 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Let's not make it about God. I know right now I enjoy all food I eat.

Food I use to hate, I like.  I think it's psychological.  And we don't know how much control we have and power to change who we are.

I think any advantage found for believers are of a psychological nature, so that -for you- food biases might very well be connected to what you believe about God.  I was an extremely picky eater as a kid but I've become an adventurous eater as an adult.  No god belief involved in my case.  I just started liking new things when others would prepare them and get excited about having me try them.  It did make me question my old food biases.

(April 16, 2018 at 7:20 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I know I am free to choose what I like.   I don't believe also that I don't choose who I have a crush on. Sure I don't choose all the chemical reactions that come when you are attracted to someone, but at the end, I decided if I am attracted to someone or not.

I believe choice. Choice is the fundamental thing that makes us human.

But what are your choices based on?  No one is free to choose what it is they will like.  Better to say you are free to question your food preferences and approach new foods with a more open mind.  What you like is something you discover, not something you choose.  Things don't taste the same so there is no justification for thinking you would like everything equally provided you held back your bias.

(April 16, 2018 at 7:20 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Most choices aren't apparent. They aren't apparent you've made them. But you have.

I suspect I'm using "biases" where you're using "choices".  But I think it would be a mistake to attribute too much power to choosing.  If you recognize an illegitimate bias, perhaps one acquired through media advertising, you can sometimes work around it.  But once you've removed irrational biases, what you find below is not a blank slate.  What you find is how things actually taste and which ones appeal to you more or less.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A PhD with food stamps? Jehanne 6 859 April 18, 2022 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Cultural Appropriation and Food Goosebump 15 1195 June 6, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Silly food. Gawdzilla Sama 19 1061 December 22, 2020 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  "Institution" and food shows. Brian37 17 1081 February 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2880 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Song Thread About Food/Drink BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1395 May 23, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2846 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2153 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20809 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Most otherwise popular food/snack/dessert/beverage you cannot stand ? vorlon13 65 10307 April 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13