Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Paul poised to take on the Fed at head of financial subcommittee
Ron Paul poised to take on the Fed at head of financial subcommittee
Schroeder, P. (26 Nov 2010). "Paul poised to take on 'atrocious' Fed at head of Financial subcommittee." On the Money, The Hill.
Retrieved from http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money

Peter Schroeder Wrote:Representative Ron Paul has called the Federal Reserve an "atrocious organization" and written a best-selling book that argues it should be abolished. Now, thanks to the GOP's commanding victory in the midterm elections, Paul may finally have the chance to take on the central bank from the dais of a congressional hearing room. Paul is poised to take over the Financial Services subcommittee that oversees the Federal Reserve in the next Congress. With the power of that pulpit, Paul said he hopes to shine a light on the Fed's policies, which he has long criticized as opaque and secretive, and make the case that the bank's monetary policies harm the U.S. economy.

... While some GOP members have couched their Fed criticism with the caveat that they are not challenging the Fed's independence, Paul is not worried about the impact his increased scrutiny would bring. Independence does not equate to secrecy, he argues. Paul also emphasizes that the Fed is not authorized in the Constitution, and says it is Congress' responsibility to maintain a sound currency.

... Regardless of what happens legislatively, it's a safe bet that there will be more activity on the subcommittee is Paul is at the helm. The subcommittee hasn't held a hearing since July, according to the panel's website, when Chairman Representative Mel Watt sought testimony on U.S. currency and coins.

Read the full article ...
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
RE: Ron Paul poised to take on the Fed at head of financial subcommittee
In the version of the constitution that Paul prefers slavery IS authorized.

He's just another right-wing nut.
Ron Paul is certainly an interesting individual my concern about him heading this subcommittee is that Paul is a true believer and he is fundamental about those beliefs. These individuals who want this strict interpretation of the Constitution always seem to forget that the preamble of the Constitution states:

Quote:Preamble

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

especially that part about promoting the general welfare. I'm all for getting some answers from the Fed regarding the meltdown and this $600 Billion they are printing up and exactly where that money will be going, (the banks to prop them back up???) but I'd rather someone with a less fundamentalist attitude take charge. I know Paul wrote a book about his economic theories, however, where in his education to become a doc did he study economics and that book was written quite early in his career.

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
I'd love to see Paul and his corporate owners choke on this.

http://www.truth-out.org/tax-rich-a-defi...eople65449

Quote:Here is MY deficit-reduction plan. This plan does not reflect the views of anyone but myself -- and maybe half the population. Unlike deficit plans from the "serious people" in DC, this one doesn't annihilate the poor and gut Social Security and the middle class while passing even more of the benefits of our society up to a few at the top.

Yeah, let's take the people who contribute the most to the country and tax them more. I'm sure they won't get annoyed at that and leave.

</sarcasm>
They didn't leave before Reagan gave them the biggest giveaway in the history of the world.

Fuck 'em.

BTW, ( and this should be interesting) what exactly do they "contribute?"
(November 27, 2010 at 5:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: BTW, ( and this should be interesting) what exactly do they "contribute?"
Erm...jobs? The richest people in the country are the ones who pay the rest of us, and the ones who create the jobs when the economy expands.

That isn't the main reason I oppose tiered taxes though. The main reason is that it is inherently unequal and unfair. Treating people differently because of how much they earn seems to be looked down on when what they earn is very little, but is celebrated when what they earn is a lot. If people actually want equality, they need to realise that it has to be everywhere. What you earn shouldn't be a cause for being treated differently; some people will always earn more than other people, it is a fact of economics.
(November 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Yeah, let's take the people who contribute the most to the country and tax them more. I'm sure they won't get annoyed at that and leave.

</sarcasm>

You think they are not going to leave with or without tax cuts? Their new markets will be China and India they will want to be close to where they play the beat and cheat game. I say good riddance and hope that the door does hit them in the ass on their way to the international concourse. I can't think of anything more useless than the rich.

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
(November 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm)lilyannerose Wrote: I can't think of anything more useless than the rich.
I'm willing to bet you've used services provided by "the rich" many many times in your life. So unless you are some kind of hermit, I suggest you actually think about what you say before you type it.
(November 27, 2010 at 6:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm)lilyannerose Wrote: I can't think of anything more useless than the rich.
I'm willing to bet you've used services provided by "the rich" many many times in your life. So unless you are some kind of hermit, I suggest you actually think about what you say before you type it.

Of course I have as have others, however, it doesn't mean that the only one capable of providing "services" are rich people. As to jobs small businesses provide a good percentage of the jobs in the US. The rich are unnecessary and a parasite upon peoples of the world. If there was redistribution of the wealth think of all of the human misery that would abate.

- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 26005 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 10091 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I love AOC! She nails it on the head! Secular Elf 11 1068 March 4, 2020 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1908 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4897 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Paul Manafort fredd bear 21 3257 March 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Paul Krugman Called It Minimalist 38 6206 October 22, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  It's funny how the right loves to dish it, but can't take it GODZILLA 3 498 October 22, 2018 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Oops. Fucked Up Again, Paul Minimalist 2 581 May 18, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rand Paul Caves Like The Useless Shit He Is Minimalist 7 1693 April 23, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist