Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pew Research
Pew Research
Just thought to share fairly recent Pew Research on religious belief in the United States: HERE

What are your take aways?

What interests me, is the 9% who do NOT believe in God but still DO believe in some kind of higher spiritual force. Not sure what to make of that whether it includes deists, Wicca, or Platonists. This quote seems not to illuminate that statistic much:

Quote:...it is clear from questions elsewhere in the survey that Americans who say they believe in God “as described in the Bible” generally envision an all-powerful, all-knowing, loving deity who determines most or all of what happens in their lives. By contrast, people who say they believe in a “higher power or spiritual force” – but not in God as described in the Bible – are much less likely to believe in a deity who is omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent and active in human affairs.

So those who do not believe in god could potentially fall into multiple categories depending on if they accept 1 or 2 out of 3 of the all-powerful, all-knowing, and good God. That's a lot of options (I'll let others do the math).
RE: Pew Research
Wow 56% believing in the god of the Bible is a lot lower than I would’ve expected.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I know a lot of Deists who think that some higher power possibly exists.  I have heard a few describe it as a distant scientist who possibly aided early non-hominin apes to develop in some way, and then took no more action.  After all, to meddle in the experiment destroys the results.  I think it's all just a fun fantasy exercise.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
They are still screwed up in the head so I don't really care. 

If they need that mental crutch they are welcome to it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 30, 2018 at 10:59 am)Losty Wrote: Wow 56% believing in the god of the Bible is a lot lower than I would’ve expected.

That could be in part because Jewish people think the question refers to both the OT and NT. There is also an increasing Muslim and Hindi population that would answer no.

(April 30, 2018 at 11:04 am)mh.brewer Wrote: If they need that mental crutch they are welcome to it.

That cuts both ways. Wanting to escape feelings of shame in this world and the prospect of judgement in the next could also be considered a kind of crutch.
(April 30, 2018 at 10:40 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Just thought to share fairly recent Pew Research on religious belief in the United States: HERE

What interests me, is the 9% who do NOT believe in God but still DO believe in some kind of higher spiritual force. Not sure what to make of that whether it includes deists, Wicca, or Platonists. This quote seems not to illuminate that statistic much:

Quote:...it is clear from questions elsewhere in the survey that Americans who say they believe in God “as described in the Bible” generally envision an all-powerful, all-knowing, loving deity who determines most or all of what happens in their lives. By contrast, people who say they believe in a “higher power or spiritual force” – but not in God as described in the Bible – are much less likely to believe in a deity who is omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent and active in human affairs.

So those who do not believe in god could potentially fall into multiple categories depending on if they accept 1 or 2 out of 3 of the all-powerful, all-knowing, and good God. That's a lot of options (I'll let others do the math).

You have a whole 56 percentile, counting from the bottom, to hide behind. You must be going to heaven.
Is it really fair/accurate/appropriate to consider the Bible God as a single choice ??

For instance, a believer might go for 'this' God:

Proverbs 30 (KJV)
5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

And another believer might be in it with 'this' God:

2 Thessalonians 2 (KJV)
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

That's 2 different Gods. Just having someone say they believe in 'both' would not satisfy either God and they'd be in trouble as a result.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Neo-Scholastic Wrote:Just thought to share fairly recent Pew Research on religious belief in the United States: HERE

There's a concept of belief in a transcendent reality or 'higher force' that I call 'Somethingism'. You've maybe heard of people proclaiming it as their stance, the ones who say 'I believe in something', by which they mean some sort of power in the universe that they don't claim to understand, but has to do with meaning and purpose and providence and maybe the origin of the universe. I think it might as well be declared the national religious opinion of Iceland, and the Dutch have a word for it: 'letsism'. Which basically means 'somethingism', so apparently I wasn't very original in calling it that.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
My take it on it: America is pretty ignorant
(April 30, 2018 at 11:07 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(April 30, 2018 at 11:04 am)mh.brewer Wrote: If they need that mental crutch they are welcome to it.

That cuts both ways. Wanting to escape feelings of shame in this world and the prospect of judgement in the next could also be considered a kind of crutch.

Gosh, ya got me. I'm just soooooooooo bad.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Pew Research poll - Muslims opinions on Islam Heat 2 1574 December 10, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research) ReptilianPeon 35 6304 April 14, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle