Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research)
The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research)
You know some people are going to latch onto this report for their own sick and twisted agendas. In fact, Muhammadans already are, and that's how I found out about the report in the first place. Of course, they conveniently leave out the fact that the increase is due to high fertility rates and make all sorts of bold assertions.

Here is a link to the PEW report.

I personally don't think that the Muhammadan growth is sustainable. Although I haven't read the report in full yet, I think underestimate the growth on irreligious people. For example, lots of people in many places around the world are afraid to openly declare their irreligion and I suspect that it coming years it will be easier for people to declare that they are irreligious.

RE: The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research)
Interesting, thank you Smile

Wow, these figures are weird. Nearly two thirds of people are "christian" in the UK according to this, not far behind America! But in reality, the level of commitment is so wafer thin that you can't tell who is christian and who is not, apart from the odd whack job. I would have thought the number of irreligious in the UK was already approaching or exceeding 50%. Maybe not, but it sure feels that way.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 12, 2015 at 7:25 am)robvalue Wrote: Interesting, thank you Smile

Wow, these figures are weird. Nearly two thirds of people are "christian" in the UK according to this, not far behind America! But in reality, the level of commitment is so wafer thin that you can't tell who is christian and who is not, apart from the odd whack job. I would have thought the number of irreligious in the UK was already approaching or exceeding 50%. Maybe not, but it sure feels that way.

Thanks; I'm reading through the report now and I do think a lot of people feel better about themselves if they tell people they are Christian even though they rarely/never attend Church. When I say reading what I actually mean is I'm quickly skimming through the report. Also, I just noticed the amount of grammar mistakes in my previous post - I really need to remember to proofread.

I wonder how many people say they are religious simply to avoid ruffling feathers. I avoid owning my atheism as a teacher precisely for that reason. Why create upset or alienation in the minds of those who are most in need of improving their critical thinking skills? That is something I think studying mathematics can do. I'm far less interested in separating people from their religion than I am in helping them keep it in perspective.
Having just had a look at that Facebook page, it seems that they have taken a leaf out of the Catholics bible. That is to say, they go to a foreign country, they target those who are weak of mind, who have no goal in life, homeless and they provide them with all they need. Once this has been done, they then go in for the kill and try to convert, with what looks like a 100% success rate. Whatever happened to doing things for people without having a pretext?

(April 12, 2015 at 7:53 am)whateverist Wrote: I wonder how many people say they are religious simply to avoid ruffling feathers.  I avoid owning my atheism as a teacher precisely for that reason.  Why create upset or alienation in the minds of those who are most in need of improving their critical thinking skills?  That is something I think studying mathematics can do.  I'm far less interested in separating people from their religion than I am in helping them keep it in perspective.

If you want your students to have confidence in you, you need to tell them the truth, otherwise, whatever you say that has nothing to do with the lectures you are giving could be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't think there is anything wrong in saying that you are an atheist, if you are honest about it and who knows, perhaps they might want to ask questions. Either way, you can only answer this question if and when the occasion arises so, good luck mate.
(April 12, 2015 at 7:53 am)whateverist Wrote: I wonder how many people say they are religious simply to avoid ruffling feathers.  I avoid owning my atheism as a teacher precisely for that reason.  Why create upset or alienation in the minds of those who are most in need of improving their critical thinking skills?  That is something I think studying mathematics can do.  I'm far less interested in separating people from their religion than I am in helping them keep it in perspective.

it would make sense... i mean in a way people just say they are but really do not mean it. I am pretty sure in those figures there is a good chunk of atheists who are afraid to come out. 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Robert, my students are pretty young, 13 to 14 mostly. I actually am a little conflicted about this. There would be value in letting them know that they already know an atheist who is normal enough. But then I'm critical of using a position of trust and influence to further my own agenda. Another couple of months and I won't have to wrestle with this decision anymore as I'll be retired.
(April 12, 2015 at 8:20 am)whateverist Wrote: Robert, my students are pretty young, 13 to 14 mostly.  I actually am a little conflicted about this.  There would be value in letting them know that they already know an atheist who is normal enough.  But then I'm critical of using a position of trust and influence to further my own agenda.  Another couple of months and I won't have to wrestle with this decision anymore as I'll be retired.

This was not stated in your post so, I just thought they might have been University students.
It would be weird to just announce to students you are an atheist. I was a teacher, and I never felt the need to say this. It never came up, but if anyone asked me, I'd have told them straight.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I was just having a read of Appendix C of the report, and PEW Research classes Mormons as Christians, which I'm sure will upset some people. It's a divisive issue. Compared to Shia though, Mormons have it relatively easy. I've yet to hear about the indiscriminate slaughter of Mormons...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pew Research Neo-Scholastic 37 7448 April 30, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NDE of future war of demons masquerading as aliens scoobysnack 73 25960 June 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  New Pew Research poll - Muslims opinions on Islam Heat 2 1574 December 10, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  My hypothesis on the current future of religion. dyresand 15 3887 October 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Why the future of religion is bleak nihilistcat 7 2175 May 3, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Religion into the Future bladevalant546 14 3651 August 25, 2014 at 8:28 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Will there be a liberal political party in the future? GayAtheist 13 3144 August 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: iHateTrolls
  Religion is the Way of the Future MONEYMUFFINS 7 1939 March 20, 2013 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Abrahamic Relgions Ulterior Motives ElijahDrew 17 7146 June 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LEDO
  can an ordinary god predict future? annatar 9 3732 August 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: annatar