Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has the power
Who has the power
I want to open a discussion about power.  Power will always exist in any society.  It's like energy; it cannot be created or destroyed; it only changes form.  So in the US at one time power was largely held by a lot of non-governmental, mostly criminal, groups.  Most of those have been either destroyed or reduced in power enough that they no longer influence society as much.  But that power shifted to the government, who put them down.  And many people seem to resent this, at least right wingers do.  Why is that?  Or is my idea of power just flawed completely?
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
RE: Who has the power
How are you measuring power? What is your metric? That will determine whether power is zero-sum, as you contend, or not.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
That's a very narrow minded take on power (or history of power) in the US.

I hearing dog whistles again.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 16, 2022 at 2:45 pm)Angrboda Wrote: How are you measuring power?  What is your metric?  That will determine whether power is zero-sum, as you contend, or not.

That's a good question.  I'm at a loss to state it empirically.  What I think of as power is who controls how people live.  For example, in the slave South, plantation owners controlled pretty much everything.  They set the rules and everyone had to abide by them.  Another example would be 19th and 20th century New York, where the mafia was so powerful that it controlled what many people could and couldn't do; to the point that they controlled aspects of the government.  I'm sure these are just two in many such groups.  And these are just recent American concepts of power.  More and probably better examples might be found elsewhere in time/space.

The reason I assert that power is zero-sum is that when power is removed from one group, it transfers to another, usually the one that intervened.  For a time after the Civil War, the occupying North held the power in the South, but then gave it back only a few short decades later.  The old plantation owners had power, lost it to the North, who then gave it back to white people in the South.  That power never went away, it only changed hands.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
Is this a discussion as to how to move the power dynamic, the sources of the power as a construct or why things be the way they be?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 16, 2022 at 4:58 pm)Spongebob Wrote: For a time after the Civil War, the occupying North held the power in the South, but then gave it back only a few short decades later.  The old plantation owners had power, lost it to the North, who then gave it back to white people in the South.  That power never went away, it only changed hands.
Picking directly antithetical groups for comparison might lead us to believe in a zero sum game more than any two other examples would- but even here, here’s something to consider.

The us attempted to assert its power after the defeat of the confederacy- but if that’s an example of holding and using power then it would be more accurate to say that the us and the remnants of the confederacy shared power - as they were swinging their weight around too. The us didnt -give- anything back.

In the end, if you ask me, the south won that one- and even gained ground in its loss. The stars and bars fly all the way up to Canada, after all.

Any rate, I think a great approximation for who holds power in a society can be determined by prison demographics. Whatever they happen to be, the people in power are the opposite of that. Power may not actually be zero sum…but human beings can turn anything into a zero sum game, so…you know.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If we define "power" as "the ability to do something, acquire something, or affect the world," then I think we have to say that whoever has money has power. The federal gov't and capitalist classes have the power using this metric. Corporate institutions also have a great deal of power. The Catholic Church too; they not only have lots of money, they have an enormous institution through which they can enact change in the world.
[Image: 95f01b33fa30cdb8388a8d2ef8f2acb3--terry-...tt-god.jpg]
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(January 17, 2022 at 1:17 pm)tackattack Wrote: Is this a discussion as to how to move the power dynamic, the sources of the power as a construct or why things be the way they be?

My question is more about the latter but feel free to explore any angle that makes sense.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5342 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1233 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1601 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Racism = Prejudice + Power? Mechaghostman2 1 504 August 2, 2017 at 7:32 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Political figure endorsement of news orgs = abuse of power? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1165 March 9, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Average balance of power of all three branches. Brian37 7 1062 December 2, 2016 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Dems vs Repubs = no difference? Which party is more wed to power than to any issue? Whateverist 39 3864 October 25, 2016 at 1:50 pm
  48 laws of power art of seduction 33 strategies of war ect nintendo048 9 2368 March 31, 2014 at 11:17 am
Last Post: nintendo048
  Ah....the Power of Ridicule! Minimalist 15 3330 October 25, 2013 at 11:45 pm
  Egypt - Army seizes power. Something completely different 34 7834 July 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: cratehorus