Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Teacher Appreciation Day! (2018!)
Happy Teacher Appreciation Day! (2018!)
To all my fellow educators out there, thanks for doing the job you do!  I know there's a few current/former teachers.  I'm grateful for all the teachers I had growing up (even the ones I didn't like at the time), and I'm grateful for the teachers my kids have.  I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the teachers who helped mold me into the person I am.  And I can only hope that I've helped mold the next great minds.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Happy Teacher Appreciation Day! (2018!)
A very important and underappreciated (and under compensated) profession.

Most of my teachers were great, apart from one who was just a bitch.
Dying to live, living to die.
Ninja'd! I was going to wish Cecelia and W'ist and that German guy who dropped out of sight a Happy Teacher Appreciation Day, but Cecelia beat me to it.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Oh.  An "Appreciation Day."  Much easier than paying them what they are worth, huh?
(May 8, 2018 at 6:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Oh.  An "Appreciation Day."  Much easier than paying them what they are worth, huh?

I know, right? I taught at a private school (no credential) for $33k a year for two years. It's a great job, but the pay is in the toilet. I will never understand how something as important as educating our young is so poorly rewarded.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(May 8, 2018 at 5:28 pm)Cecelia Wrote: To all my fellow educators out there, thanks for doing the job you do!  I know there's a few current/former teachers.  I'm grateful for all the teachers I had growing up (even the ones I didn't like at the time), and I'm grateful for the teachers my kids have.  I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the teachers who helped mold me into the person I am.  And I can only hope that I've helped mold the next great minds.

My late mother was a lifetime teacher. It bothered me that she voted republican most of the time knowing how that party would gut funding to everything. But, I would say that if she were alive today, she'd be impressed with how more and more teachers in every state are leading the way for worker's rights. She was always an awesome teacher. But she would have made an awesome democrat if the GOP had not convinced her to vote against her own self interests.
Teachers get a really really bad rap. Most of them are saints.
But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change, 
and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence. 
~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'
(May 8, 2018 at 5:28 pm)Cecelia Wrote: To all my fellow educators out there, thanks for doing the job you do!  I know there's a few current/former teachers.  I'm grateful for all the teachers I had growing up (even the ones I didn't like at the time), and I'm grateful for the teachers my kids have.  I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the teachers who helped mold me into the person I am.  And I can only hope that I've helped mold the next great minds.

Thank you, Cecelia, for doing what you do.  If I remember correctly I think you were teaching history and/or english at the HS level, is that right?  Hope you have a decent administrative team where you are.
David Daigle, my math teacher throughout high school (algebra -> pre-calculus... at my school, it was rare to have the same teacher for 4 years) was the only one who adequately prepared me for what college was actually like. Best teacher I ever had.

Last I looked, he was still teaching at that school, which makes me happy. The kids smart enough to understand his approach, which, really, is all about professionalism and personal accountability, will benefit greatly from him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Happy Thansgiving Day thread! Jehanne 10 723 November 24, 2022 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Happy Veterans Day... arewethereyet 28 1688 November 14, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Happy Father's Day!! Jehanne 24 1551 June 22, 2022 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Mother's Day. arewethereyet 7 528 May 9, 2022 at 4:45 am
Last Post: anlogue
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 426 May 5, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Dyngus Day onlinebiker 5 358 April 18, 2022 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Fine - I'll do it - Happy Whatever You Celebrate Eve/Day arewethereyet 20 1132 December 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Happy RUSH day! no one 15 1201 December 23, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 822 May 4, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Happy Mother's Day arewethereyet 10 1069 May 13, 2019 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Divinity