Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be careful what you say
Be careful what you say
If I was to use the word "theatre" with an American, it would be understood to mean "what was the last movie you watched?"

Just don't ask that of one with a British accent, because they might have had a bad hospital experience recently.

Your turn.
RE: Be careful what you say
Really? I've always thought theatre was just the Murrican version of theater?
Like Litre/Liter

My understanding of English is definitely getting bettre!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Stool.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I always thought "the Theater of War" was a base obscenity. I do not consider most things obscene.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Be careful when bumming cigarettes in some places. They might not know what you mean when you start asking about fags.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yep, it's theatre for us Brits... and 'can I bum a fag?' means completely different over here than over there Wink

Generally I prefer the British spelling of words like theatre and centre... but with that latter one I'm not sure of the spelling if I want to 'ing' it Wink Centring or centreing just doesn't look right, so if I want to use that word - if it even is a word - I just use the American spelling... centering... and hope no-one notices Wink

Ah, maybe that's not what you meant? We generally use the word theatre to mean either plays or as you said, operating theatre... but not generally for movie theatre... that would be the cinema.
(May 13, 2018 at 7:23 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Stool.

Can C/L be far behind?
What I meant by "theatre" is that according to one British show I watch they refer to the "operating room" as a "theatre".
If you're a man, do not say this in a bar in America

"I'm pissed and going for a slash"
(May 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm)Kit Wrote: If I was to use the word "theatre" with an American, it would be understood to mean "what was the last movie you watched?"

Just don't ask that of one with a British accent, because they might have had a bad hospital experience recently.

Your turn.

I'm from the U.K. I've never thought of the word theatre to mean an operating room (outside of a hospital context)

Theatre means a place where you see a play or something to me

(May 14, 2018 at 9:13 am)Mathilda Wrote: If you're a man, do not say this in a bar in America

"I'm pissed and going for a slash"

And never ever say in the south ''I'm going for a fag''
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 6374 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2251 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Environmental charities, what say you? Brian37 11 882 December 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: no one
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1056 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1711 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1525 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2156 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1078 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2251 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1836 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda