Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Blameless Life is not Worth Living
The Blameless Life is not Worth Living
IMHO. if we never do or say anything anybody might object to, if we go through life trying to make sure nobody can say anything bad about us, we haven't lived.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Blameless Life is not Worth Living
I tentatively agree with this. The problem is that people see these arguments as very black and white. The extreme view of this is possibly more detestable than not pushing it at all. Being a complete asshat all of the time gets you plenty of objections and doesn't help anything. A solid middle ground is worth considering. Be a selective asshat.

There's some criticism for you. That means you're doing it right, I guess.
We all know stories where everyone gets along and nothing dangerous happens is generally considered boring, yet so many people want to go to heaven. What do you really expect to happen up there? You just live in a house that's way too big for you, because the rest of your family has its own individual mansion, walk down a street of gold, and worship somebody. Sign me up?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Middle ground is a good place to be. You're right, some people equate extremism for sincerity. They criticize balanc3ed people as "fence sitters." So we select our behavior not based on whether someone will object, someone always will, but on whether it's the right thing to do. One of the 42 precepts of Ma'at says "I have not been the cause of the shedding of tears." I try to live by that unless I sense a person is using their tears to control and manipulate me.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

[Image: 1hsnug.jpg]

Good one Jesus!  I can see you're living the high life!

ROFLOL
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If you don't say anything someone might object to, you can't say anything.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If nobody finds faults in you, then you are stuck in the matrix
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 17, 2017 at 5:08 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: If nobody finds faults in you, then you are stuck in the matrix
Addicted to the blue pill. Yuck

--Voltaire

... and the flipside is that if we go through life refusing to own the blame for our errors, we'll end up just as unhappy.

(January 17, 2017 at 1:21 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: ... and the flipside is that if we go through life refusing to own the blame for our errors, we'll end up just as unhappy.

You are right. balanced is of the essence. There's no joy at the far end of anything.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living in a sim... ignoramus 64 3517 November 21, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living? Aegon 27 3140 May 14, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Life is not like a box of chocolates ErGingerbreadMandude 21 1688 December 13, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 32882 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15372 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are We Living In God's "Matrix"? sswhateverlove 100 14340 September 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Living Universe, Buddhism, Etc. Etc. hppavilion 5 1819 June 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4098 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is life worth living as an atheist? Alex87 96 26254 March 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx