Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The How Come Thread
The How Come Thread
There are many mysteries in life, and being the curious beasts that we are, we sometimes wonder why things are as they are.

If you have a question about something, if something puzzles you, something sticking in your craw, ask it here.

If you have an answer to someone's question, by all means, share your knowledge. But please keep this light so it doesn't degenerate into argument.

I'll start.

How come we can eat sea salt but we can't drink sea water?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The How Come Thread
Why is there a D in "fridge" even though there isn't one in "refrigerator"?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(May 22, 2018 at 9:37 am)Aegon Wrote: Why is there a D in "fridge" even though there isn't one in "refrigerator"?

And there is a B in climb and climbing that no one gives a shit about.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Be silent!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
K is also pretty useless. We should remove it from knee and knife.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(May 22, 2018 at 9:10 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: There are many mysteries in life, and being the curious beasts that we are, we sometimes wonder why things are as they are.

If you have a question about something, if something puzzles you, something sticking in your craw, ask it here.

If you have an answer to someone's question, by all means, share your knowledge. But please keep this light so it doesn't degenerate into argument.

I'll start.

You can only eat so much salt. Too much can be fatal. Hence, seawater!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(May 22, 2018 at 9:10 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
(May 22, 2018 at 9:10 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: There are many mysteries in life, and being the curious beasts that we are, we sometimes wonder why things are as they are.

I'll start.

You can only eat so much salt. Too much can be fatal. Hence, seawater!

More to the point, you actually can drink sea water but because of the salt, it will increase your need for hydration beyond the amount you got from drinking it. So if you needed X amount of water, drinking that amount in seawater results in you needing > X.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Should saltpeter have been named saltpecker?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 22, 2018 at 9:08 pm)Joods Wrote: K is also pretty useless. We should remove it from knee and knife.

Fuc.... doesn't work for me.
(May 22, 2018 at 9:34 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(May 22, 2018 at 9:10 pm)chimp3 Wrote: You can only eat so much salt. Too much can be fatal. Hence, seawater!

More to the point, you actually can drink sea water but because of the salt, it will increase your need for hydration beyond the amount you got from drinking it. So if you needed X amount of water, drinking that amount in seawater results in you needing > X.

I should have been more light hearted!

Why is a skeleton key used to open doors when we keep our skeletons locked in a closet?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 456 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where do these idiots come from? onlinebiker 23 2644 April 22, 2020 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4136 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  I have changed my avatar. You can come out now. I_am_not_mafia 9 1267 June 9, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The end of this month cannot come fast enough Foxaèr 22 4345 April 15, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: c172
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28730 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Rhondazvous 48 17840 July 16, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Can something come from nothing goombah111 109 11585 February 4, 2017 at 5:17 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Come back, yo! J a c k 39 3987 May 28, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  How close have you come to committing murder? robvalue 68 6169 November 11, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: *Deidre*