Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this reasonable?
Is this reasonable?
Is it not reasonable to not believe in fairies despite there being no evidence they don't exist?

Take your time.

Considering the logic that lead to an answer of "yes", is it too far fetched to substitute "fairies" for "god"?

Take your time.
RE: Is this reasonable?
Who said they don't exist?
You are employing the black raven paradox!

All the ravens I've seen are black, therefore all ravens are black! wrong!
All the fairies near you are invisible, therefore you've come to the false conclusion that all faeries don't exist! Wrong!
I don't believe whales exist, because I've never seen one! ever!
Is that white stuff called snow even a thing? I think it's just for effects in movies Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Not reasonable to not believe. Confusing question
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I can't answer a question containing a double negative.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(May 25, 2018 at 3:36 am)Joods Wrote: I can't answer a question containing a double negative.

Joods, what's 3 minus minus 1 =?

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 24, 2018 at 11:52 pm)Kit Wrote: Is it not reasonable to not believe in fairies despite there being no evidence they don't exist?

It was "reasonable" to believe in fairies up until not so long ago because Christians believe in so called witness testimonies without any physical proof and there were many people who have claimed to have seen them. Christians believed in them so much that they were afraid to utter word "fairies" but called them "good people" instead. One of the beliefs involved was that retarded children were actually fairy children switched in the crib (ever heard of Changeling?), like this medieval painting shows

[Image: XICIH3XO_o.jpg]

Christians don't believe in them anymore so much in Western world because people are more educated in what science can show us in that regard.
Belief is more prevalent in Africa where people are less educated. I guess you could say that with passing of time Christians believe in less and less stuff.
Although Christians are doing all they can to dumb down people, like this move
Ariz. Education Department strikes 'evolution' from science standards draft
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...om-science

so maybe belief fairies becomes RAD again.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 25, 2018 at 4:06 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(May 25, 2018 at 3:36 am)Joods Wrote: I can't answer a question containing a double negative.

Joods, what's 3 minus minus 1 =?

Big Grin

Ha ha. I suck at math. You'll have to get someone smarter to answer that one.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
If we are droping math .- 1^2=??
I am not amused.
(May 24, 2018 at 11:52 pm)Kit Wrote: Is it not reasonable to not believe in fairies despite there being no evidence they don't exist?

Take your time.

Considering the logic that lead to an answer of "yes", is it too far fetched to substitute "fairies" for "god"?

Take your time.

Concerning Fairy tales what harm would belief bring?

As a child they are often/were used as a easy to remember tale of warning or cautionary by nature. As an adult the meaning still can be extrapolated and used to keep one from falling into foolish situations.

Where fairy tales become ludacris to believe is when they are compared to scientific 'tales' that demand your total allegiance. Therefore one is made or programed to think no 'good' can come from anything besides a 'scientific tale.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beyond a Reasonable Doubt?? Jehanne 37 5011 June 21, 2018 at 1:43 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71871 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Answering reasonable Creationism tavarish 14 5245 May 24, 2010 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist