Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answering reasonable Creationism
Answering reasonable Creationism
It's a long one, but give me your feedback.

http://usualrhetoric.blogspot.com/2010/0...onism.html

Thanks!
RE: Answering reasonable Creationism
Excellent work tavarish! Clap

Duane seems to be making a great deal of the Mt St Helens eruption. Theres an article here debunking that particular bit of creationist bullshit.

An issue that you rightly raise is the sterility of creationism as a research programme, especially when compared to the enormous fertility of evolutionary theory. You might find it useful to look at the work of Imre Lakatos, one of the big cheeses of Philosophy of Science. Lakatos argues that it is the productivity of the research programme that a theory generates that is the hallmark of a good theory. Article by Lakatos here.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
I like this...

but I don't have any "reasonable" feedback lol
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
Quote: Duane, the author of the article, is a Young Earth Creationist. He has not made his personal beliefs trapsparent, but YECs typically believe that the Bible is a literal and accurate account of what historically took place, at least as far as Genesis is concerned. The Earth, in their view, is around 6,000 to 10,000 years old, and macroevolution - or evolution on a large scale (speciation), never occurred, as beings were created in their current states. Noah's flood actually happened, people lived with dinosaurs,

IOW, Duane is a fucking lunatic....like the rest of them.
(May 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm)Caecilian Wrote: Excellent work tavarish! Clap

Duane seems to be making a great deal of the Mt St Helens eruption. Theres an article here debunking that particular bit of creationist bullshit.

An issue that you rightly raise is the sterility of creationism as a research programme, especially when compared to the enormous fertility of evolutionary theory. You might find it useful to look at the work of Imre Lakatos, one of the big cheeses of Philosophy of Science. Lakatos argues that it is the productivity of the research programme that a theory generates that is the hallmark of a good theory. Article by Lakatos here.

Actually your talkorigins article is in the blog, it's the last thing I wrote. Smile
(May 20, 2010 at 6:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Duane, the author of the article, is a Young Earth Creationist. He has not made his personal beliefs trapsparent, but YECs typically believe that the Bible is a literal and accurate account of what historically took place, at least as far as Genesis is concerned. The Earth, in their view, is around 6,000 to 10,000 years old, and macroevolution - or evolution on a large scale (speciation), never occurred, as beings were created in their current states. Noah's flood actually happened, people lived with dinosaurs,

IOW, Duane is a fucking lunatic....like the rest of them.

1. I fixed the typo.
2. I didn't think they actually had a YEC among their ranks. It's getting to a point where every dialogue over there is swimming in shit and illogical premises.

Sometimes I come to a point where I'm just in awe and pretend that it's all a dream and people don't actually believe in such nonsense, and then I realize I'm in a country where 1 in 2 people actually do.

I'm in the wrong profession.
Its depressing, the amount of cretins out there. sigh...

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I just love it when the morons claim that these teeth

[Image: t_rex_skull_2_1.gif]

were for eating plants!
Why are people here even interested in what appears in Aristophrenium?

I had a good look around the site a couple of days ago. Its third-rate christian propaganda. Lots of creationist bullshit, recycling the same old lies. Then theres the 'philosophical' stuff, which is marginally more intelligent, but still strewn with errors. And of course the reactionary anti-abortion and homophobic crap.

It really isn't worth bothering with.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
The title of this topic amuses me greatly.
(May 24, 2010 at 2:59 pm)Watson Wrote: The title of this topic amuses me greatly.

me too!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1344 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Is this reasonable? Foxaèr 24 3849 July 19, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Beyond a Reasonable Doubt?? Jehanne 37 4952 June 21, 2018 at 1:43 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Creationism and Ignorance vulcanlogician 273 47793 May 23, 2018 at 3:03 am
Last Post: Amarok
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71634 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Creationism out in Youngstown brewer 17 2734 September 25, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: c172
  Christian answering questions. Cherubim 541 49157 May 17, 2016 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christian answering questions too! PETE_ROSE 237 33379 May 10, 2016 at 5:19 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  The real "Christians answering questions" thread Foxaèr 17 2626 May 6, 2016 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 9941 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda