Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In regards to the anthem protests and the NFL's new policy
In regards to the anthem protests and the NFL's new policy
I would like to mention a few things. The first is I did not care when players knelt during the anthem, it did not bother me at all. I also understood why they were doing it. I also do not have an issue with the NFL and their new policy. I do not like it, but they are a private organization and should be able to do so.

However, I wonder if anyone has put any thought into the following questions. What is it about kneeling for the anthem that sets off these nationalist nutters? What is this reason? Are they really at cult like status where if you say anything bad about their Murica' then you should shut the fuck up? Or is it really a racial thing? I always try my best not to throw this out, but perhaps they do not like to be told that there are people in this country who are still treated unfairly simply because of their skin color? Are they that sucked into their own bubbles that somehow accepting this fact is going to ruin their world?

Also, don't you find it quite disturbing that they would want someone to lose their job because of it? I could be wrong, but that sure sounds like something they would do in North Korea. Another thing, throughout the past this same crowd would complain about companies like Target "pandering" to a minority when it came to transgender issues. But isn't the NFL doing the same thing here? And who are the real snowflakes here? All week I have heard right leaning commentators cheer this because now they know they have their safe space. And yet, i bet most of them that are outraged over players kneeling are sitting on their fat asses eating nachos.

One more thing, I did see that an owner of the New York Jets said that he will happily pay the fines for those players. I wonder, what will these right wing nutters do when that happens?
RE: In regards to the anthem protests and the NFL's new policy
It would have been interesting to see the reaction if Peyton Manning or Drew Brees took a knee to protest Obamacare, my guess is the same people who are outraged would be supporting them, but that is pure speculation on my part.
(May 27, 2018 at 7:01 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: It would have been interesting to see the reaction if Peyton Manning or Drew Brees took a knee to protest Obamacare, my guess is the same people who are outraged would be supporting them, but that is pure speculation on my part.

That is so funny, actually. Because i was listening to a right wing radio show jizzing themselves over the new policy and I was trying to think of a scenario where they would have been okay with taking a knee. And yes, there it is! This right here.
(May 27, 2018 at 6:02 am)Libertarian God Wrote: I would like to mention a few things. The first is I did not care when players knelt during the anthem, it did not bother me at all. I also understood why they were doing it. I also do not have an issue with the NFL and their new policy. I do not like it, but they are a private organization and should be able to do so.

However, I wonder if anyone has put any thought into the following questions. What is it about kneeling for the anthem that sets off these nationalist nutters? What is this reason? Are they really at cult like status where if you say anything bad about their Murica' then you should shut the fuck up? Or is it really a racial thing? I always try my best not to throw this out, but perhaps they do not like to be told that there are people in this country who are still treated unfairly simply because of their skin color? Are they that sucked into their own bubbles that somehow accepting this fact is going to ruin their world?

Also, don't you find it quite disturbing that they would want someone to lose their job because of it? I could be wrong, but that sure sounds like something they would do in North Korea. Another thing, throughout the past this same crowd would complain about companies like Target "pandering" to a minority when it came to transgender issues. But isn't the NFL doing the same thing here? And who are the real snowflakes here? All week I have heard right leaning commentators cheer this because now they know they have their safe space. And yet, i bet most of them that are outraged over players kneeling are sitting on their fat asses eating nachos.

One more thing, I did see that an owner of the New York Jets said that he will happily pay the fines for those players. I wonder, what will these right wing nutters do when that happens?

They're going nuts in large part because of the very strong mentality of "my country is always right" in American culture, especially on the right (but also very strong in Democrat circles as well, they're somewhat sheltered from the ideology though, by their interactions with minorities). This ideology is inculcated through education, private and public media to such an extet that it is way stronger in the US than in any other hegemonic empire in history.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(May 27, 2018 at 7:01 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: It would have been interesting to see the reaction if Peyton Manning or Drew Brees took a knee to protest Obamacare, my guess is the same people who are outraged would be supporting them, but that is pure speculation on my part.

People who take a knee are still acknowledging the racist song.  I can see it getting to the point where people simply sit on their butts while it's being played.
Is it still Ok to take a knee for Jesus? Those touchdowns are in his hands, you know!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

As I mentioned in another thread, I hope the owners and the facilities are ready to close all concessions and lock all the bathrooms while the anthem is playing. Ever seen the lines for those things during the anthem? Everybody's skipping their patriotic duty to get beers, dogs and take a piss so they won't miss a single second of the unpatriotic bastards come game time. Fuck the alt-right and their faux patriotism!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Imagine if Tim Tebow kneeled to protest abortions. You can bet they'd be calling to make it a constitutional amendment that allows people to kneel for the flag.

They're all just upset that a black man won't stand for their flag. You'd think they'd be happy. Kneeling is a subservient position. Personally I'd hold out the middle finger during the anthem, and take the fucking penalty.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(May 28, 2018 at 9:48 am)Divinity Wrote: Imagine if Tim Tebow kneeled to protest abortions.  You can bet they'd be calling to make it a constitutional amendment that allows people to kneel for the flag.

They're all just upset that a black man won't stand for their flag.  You'd think they'd be happy.  Kneeling is a subservient position.  Personally I'd hold out the middle finger during the anthem, and take the fucking penalty.

There is something floating around that Tebow did actually do that. Not sure if it's true but if it is. My word! And also, it's funny how all these Trumpfucks don't know that the guy who started the kneeling consulted VETERANS first and they told him kneeling was the way to go.
(May 28, 2018 at 9:48 am)Divinity Wrote: Imagine if Tim Tebow kneeled to protest abortions.  You can bet they'd be calling to make it a constitutional amendment that allows people to kneel for the flag.

They're all just upset that a black man won't stand for their flag.  You'd think they'd be happy.  Kneeling is a subservient position.  Personally I'd hold out the middle finger during the anthem, and take the fucking penalty.

Damn, you're tough!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1362 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  NFL owners admit Trump pressured them into banning player protests Foxaèr 27 2831 May 24, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Wink Please rise for our new national anthem NuclearEnergy 0 594 June 21, 2017 at 4:40 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Rioters Beware! Keep Your Protests Peacful A Theist 88 22414 February 18, 2017 at 7:53 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What is it with Trump supporters not wanting to discuss policy without name calling NuclearEnergy 73 13481 December 28, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Your thoughts on the protests Aroura 221 23246 November 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Americans have little influence on policy Foxaèr 2 901 April 22, 2014 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Murder of opposition figure sparks anti islamist protests in Tunisia Something completely different 0 1965 July 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Brazil's escalating protests cratehorus 0 869 June 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Protests over Kochs' newspaper takeover cratehorus 3 2789 May 19, 2013 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Minimalist