Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Vukovar
Battle of Vukovar
So, what do you guys think, is it reasonable to believe that the Battle of Vukovar (in 1991) actually happened? I am a Croatian 18-year-old from Donji Miholjac (not very far from Vukovar), and I can't help but wonder how it's possible that it left so little evidence (at least as far as I am aware), when more than three thousand people were supposedly killed there.

I have studied quite a bit of Croatian history. I had to do that not only for school, but also for my interpretation of the Croatian toponyms:
Croatian Toponyms
If there is evidence to justify such an extraordinary claim of Vukovar being burned to the ground and rebuilt again completely in, well, a decade, how it is that I don't know anything about that evidence?

As an atheist, how will I justify my disbelief in the Jesus's resurrection if I believe that the Battle of Vukovar happened? One of the reasons other atheists usually give for their disbelief in Jesus's resurrection is that our understanding of history has to be in line with our understanding of how the universe works. However, the Battle of Vukovar is also not in line with my understanding of how the universe works, because I have won the school physics competition two years in a row and I still have no bright idea how the bombs might work.
RE: Battle of Vukovar
OK, this doesn't appear to be the right forum for historical revisionism.
I'm not at all sure what you are trying to say.  People deny the holocaust, too.  They are fools who deserve all the scorn they get.  Are you saying that someone is denying Vukovar?
(June 28, 2018 at 2:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm not at all sure what you are trying to say.  People deny the holocaust, too.  They are fools who deserve all the scorn they get.  Are you saying that someone is denying Vukovar?

Well, I am "denying" Vukovar, if by that you mean that I refuse to believe something I have not seen any evidence for.
I'm sorry but I don't even know what it is, so I can't comment.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
It was almost 30 years ago.  Do you expect them to leave the bodies laying in the street so you can be convinced?
I mean, this isn't really a historical event that I'm familiar with at all, but do you mean to claim that all of the sources/evidence referenced here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_...References are simply wrong/faked/lies?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 27, 2018 at 11:18 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:  However, the Battle of Vukovar is also not in line with my understanding of how the universe works, because I have won the school physics competition two years in a row and I still have no bright idea how the bombs might work.

I can clear that right up for you.  They;re filled with shit that goes boom.  You;re welcome.  Wink

In all seriousness...I doubt you;re really wondering how bombs work..but, rather, why you dont find them laying around, or why the damage isn;t visible today.  Really simple answer to that.  We cleared them, NATO helped rebuild the entire godforsaken region after everyone tried their hand at a local WW3.  It was a shitty job.  There was a ton of unexploded ords...including our own cluster bombs from years later.  Theres a whole branch of the serbian and croatian governments that are -still- clearing ords and mines and they;ll be doing so in perpetuity due to a severe lack of funding. It;s not really surprising that you, personally, don;t find them. You;re not out there looking for them..and the places that where demined and cleared first were population centers.

I;d strongly caution against walking through the mountains where active conflict or passive bordering occurred..though, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Do you expect them to leave the bodies laying in the street so you can be convinced?
The fact that something can't be proven doesn't mean it's somehow reasonable to believe in it.
Quote:I mean, this isn't really a historical event that I'm familiar with at all, but do you mean to claim that all of the sources/evidence referenced here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_...References are simply wrong/faked/lies?
"I mean, I am not so familiar with the history of the Jesus's resurrection, but do you really mean to claim that all the historical sources that mention it are wrong/faked/lies?"
The truth is only that which can be reached by reason. If the Battle of Vukovar can't be reached by reason, then it's not truth, no matter how many people supposedly witnessed it.
Quote:We cleared them, NATO helped rebuild the entire godforsaken region after everyone tried their hand at a local WW3.
Do you have any references to support that claim?
In 1994, I was at Marathon in Greece. Persian corpses were conspicuous by their absence.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battle between Richard the Lionheart and Saladin found Deesse23 8 925 August 4, 2020 at 5:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4