Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yee Haw! We Got Us A Trade War
Yee Haw! We Got Us A Trade War
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/busin...riffs.html

Quote:Trump’s Trade War Against China Is Officially Underway

Quote:The penalties, which went into effect at 12:01 a.m., will undoubtedly prompt quick retaliation by Beijing, which has said it will tax an equal amount of American exports, including pork, soybeans and automobiles.
The escalation of the trade war from threat to reality is expected to ripple through global supply chains, raise costs for businesses and consumers and roil global stock markets, which have been volatile in anticipation of a prolonged trade fight between the United States and almost everyone else.
On Thursday, President Trump showed no signs of backing down from his fight, saying aboard Air Force One that the first wave of tariffs on $34 billion in goods would quickly be followed by levies on another $16 billion of Chinese products. And Mr. Trump continued to threaten Beijing with escalating tariffs on as much as $450 billion worth of Chinese goods.

At least none of our troops will be called upon to capture a worthless hamlet for the glory of the WLB.
RE: Yee Haw! We Got Us A Trade War
No worries.  The President assures us that trade wars are easy to win. Don't you remember how easy it was for Donnie T and the Trumpistas to repeal and replace Obamacare?  Don't you remember how Trumpy's 40 mins with Kim Jong Un neutralized the threat from North Korea?  Everything will be just fine.
We were already in a trade war with China. This is not to say that I support Trump's ham-handed particular approach to imposing tariffs but I'm not philosophically opposed to them either.
<insert profound quote here>
No surprise coming from you.
Minn, this is where I part company with you. Let's give President Shithole some credit, he will win the trade war. He will trade our values for his own ego.
If China really wants to win this war they should just close Ivanka's sweatshops and her other factories in China and let Ivanka fight for them.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 6, 2018 at 1:45 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: If China really wants to win this war they should just close Ivanka's sweatshops and her other factories in China and let Ivanka fight for them.

That's playing dirty!
All's fair in Love and war.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Quote:We were already in a trade war with China. This is not to say that I support Trump's ham-handed particular approach to imposing tariffs but I'm not philosophically opposed to them either.
Of course your not anything to defend "your dear leader "
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(July 6, 2018 at 3:45 pm)Tizheruk Wrote:
Quote:We were already in a trade war with China. This is not to say that I support Trump's ham-handed particular approach to imposing tariffs but I'm not philosophically opposed to them either.
Of course your not anything to defend "your dear leader "

This is a tactic the GOP has used since Reagan say minus the bigotry and vilification up and until 45.

We've always known our enemies always try to gain an advantage. But the reason 45 won is that the GOP set him up to sell the fascist hyper national bigotry.

45 isn't "shaking things up" he is destroying diplomacy for nothing more than his own ego.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4313 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Gog Magog civil war with the west WinterHold 37 1997 July 20, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Proxy war in Ukraine? Angrboda 151 4987 November 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Caroline Farrow got arrested, spending 5 hours in jail. Jehanne 2 651 October 18, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Holocaust survivor perishes as the result of another war Foxaèr 12 1312 May 2, 2022 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1537 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
Thumbs Up Got H2O? onlinebiker 18 1039 July 23, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anybody got any Pfizer stock they don't need? Gawdzilla Sama 30 1284 November 12, 2020 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  BREAKING: Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war WinterHold 52 3108 April 25, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Op/ed "War on" and "fighting" disease.... Brian37 21 1451 March 29, 2020 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13