Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our new fridge
Our new fridge
[Image: hsurUQvjf7uLnJPXhqBCV2dtkHEiVk5MJ6CG98L2...76-h882-no]

This is just bullshit and I'm way past done with everything.

When we moved into the new apartment, the fridge in here was broken.  The casing was cracked and the door didn't close properly, so it leaked cold air out. The landlord agreed it needed to be replaced.

Now the fridges in Europe are smaller than in the US.  The one that was in here was maybe 10 cubic square feet, which is less than half of a typical US fridge.  And we were fine with that.  It's totally doable.  The fridges in the units of my husbands German coworkers are typically similar, smaller than we are used to, but totally manageable.

Anyway, the new fridge arrived and this is what we got.  It's 3.7 Cubic feet, 98 liters.  About 1/3 the size of the one they replaced.  It is literally the smallest fridge/freezer combo you can buy in the area.  It's clearly meant for studio flats and one bedroom apartments, no family units.

We attempted to contact the landlord about it, but have had no luck yet.  I am really, really upset.  I think the culture here of shopping for your food daily is really neat, and I don't have any issues with storing only small amounts of food.  But as you can see, after putting in only condiments, 2 veggies, and a few drinks, it's full. Everything is closed here on Sunday.  There literally isn't room in here to store just 2 days worth of food for 3 people, which is a necessity.  I guess we can just drink warm and tap water through the summer, or stop using ketchup and pickles and butter.  Or just eat canned food.  No leftovers allowed!  Forget having company.  That summer dinner party?  Yeah? That's going to be canceled.

I've had larger fridges in hotel rooms.  This is a fucking beer cooler, or dorm fridge for a 20 year old. Can you imagine trying to cook for a husband and growing tween from this?  European friends? Please don't defend this.  They should have replaced the old fridge with a similar one, not one 1/3 the size!!

I was coping here. Doing ok.  Homesick but managing.  Because I could do my chores, my job. No dryer?  That's fine.  I adapted to the drying racks here. No car?  Public transportation is great.  I shop almost every day and everything we eat and use I carry home. I've tolerated eye rolling and outright rudeness, I've even been pushed over more than once by entitled elderly, watched one guy attack a foreigner on a tram and call him names. But I'm learning the language, dealing with the daily communications issues, tolerating being the annoying foreigner.  But this is it.  I can't store food to cook a meal for my family.  I'm down for the count. 

Fuck. This. Shit.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Our new fridge
We hear ya loud and clear ...That's just bullshit.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Well, that sucks.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Oh, my fridge is bigger on the inside. You got scammed 'Roura'.

Also you moved to Germany. They have a thing for efficiency.
Before you completely lose your cool (pun?) contact the the management again. It could have been an honest mistake. Unless you think they are taking advantage of stupid americans. 

If the management does not replace same for same appliances (similarly equivalent) I think that would violate the lease/rental agreement.

BTW, can't see your image but really want to.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, couldn't track any beer in tje fridge. Need more room for that.

I will grab me coat again.
(July 6, 2018 at 7:18 am)LastPoet Wrote: Well, couldn't track any beer in tje fridge. Need more room for that.

I will grab me coat again.
Grab me one too!
Lol
No room for beer. I guess this explains the traditional for warm beer in Germany.

(July 6, 2018 at 7:04 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Before you completely lose your cool (pun?) contact the the management again. It could have been an honest mistake. Unless you think they are taking advantage of stupid americans. 

If the management does not replace same for same appliances (similarly equivalent) I think that would violate the lease/rental agreement.

BTW, can't see your image but really want to.
Thank Mr Brewer. ☺️ It's just been one of those weeks.

We did contact the management, but they have not yet responded. I'll give them time.

I guess I can make do if they refuse to change it out. I have to make yet more lifestyle changes, but it's not like I'm living without running water or electricity.
Save some space and take out the ketchup. That isn't something that must be refrigerated. Think about the fact that restaurants keep ketchup bottles on tables all the time. They don't move those to the fridge when they close up at night.

I'm so sorry for your dilemma. I would say that if the management company hasn't called back by Monday, stop by their office. That might do the trick.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 6, 2018 at 9:06 am)Joods Wrote: Save some space and take out the ketchup. That isn't something that must be refrigerated. Think about the fact that restaurants keep ketchup bottles on tables all the time. They don't move those to the fridge when they close up at night.

I'm so sorry for your dilemma. I would say that if the management company hasn't called back by Monday, stop by their office. That might do the trick.

We are renting through a management company, but the actual owners bough the fridge, so it's all sort of complicated.

That's good advice, though, ty!

My husband says we can also buy another little fridge on our own, to put all the drinks in.  That will make it all doable.  So we'll make it!  Thanks for the support guys. Sometimes the culture shock of even little things adds up.
My daughter had actually asked why you didn't just buy your own fridge, but I told her that you all weren't living there permanently so it would be pointless to purchase something that you couldn't take with you. But if you can manage to get something else in there and then sell it, that would be good too.

I wasn't able to see the picture of your fridge, but I am very curious to see what sort of hell you are dealing with. I would imagine something way smaller than a dorm sized fridge.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.