Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Took our cat to the vet....
Took our cat to the vet....
One of our cats recently started having trouble pooping.  He yowled in obvious pain when he went to use the litter box.  We took him to the vet, he got some xrays, and it turns out that the hard food (that I told my husband NOT to give the cats) made him constipated.  He was very backed up and they gave him an IV of saline, an enema, and told us to give him some oil by mouth at home and come back the next day to repeat the treatment.  Told us to go back to the good wet canned food (good brand, not like Whiskas garbage) that he was on before.

We did everything as requested.  The cat pooped a bunch, he'll be fine.  But while at the vet the second time, she insisted that she also give him some oil (not sure if she believed we had done so, but we had).  She actually sent her assistant to the store to buy some canola oil and then they practically sat on the cat and pried his jaws open and shot it down his throat.  He immediately started hacking and coughing, they had gotten it into his lungs.
I can get it into his mouth without any issue, and without violently squirting it down his throat, so....

Anyway, 2 days later and the cat keeps having these dry coughing fits.  He just wheezes and coughs and hacks for minutes, about every 20 or 30 minutes.  He is able to sleep a few hours at a time, but as soon as he wakes, it's back to coughing.  He's not feverish, he's eating fine, and otherwise active like normal.

What should we do?  No way we are taking him back to the same vet that actually caused it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. She gave us a bottle of homeopathic something or another despite us adamantly telling her no, and charged us for it anyway.  It seems homeopathy is quite the rage in east Germany right now.  Huzzah.  Dodgy
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Took our cat to the vet....
So, my advice would be at least to go to a veterinarian forum. My gut says she's just expelling whatever's in there, but I'm no professional. I have no idea what oil does to the lungs.
Locate another vet. Messing with the lungs like that is serious.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Homeopathy doesn't work on animals.

No placebo effect.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Go to a different vet. Have them check to see if she aspirated any of the oil.
Conservative treatment of lipoid pneumonia is corticosteroids to reduce the inflammatory process. (at least in humans) See a vet.

https://www.healthline.com/health/lipoid...#treatment
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yes, see a different, more competent vet.
Dying to live, living to die.
And send the first one the bill.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Aspiration pneumonia is a real consequence. I would consult with another vet.

By the way, we have a 16 year old cat who has megacolon from being constipated. We have him on a high fiber diet (Royal Canin Fiber Response) and give him a Metamucil capsule every day on his food. It provides him some relief.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Megacolon? Jaysus...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Cat's in the kennel no silver spoon Brian37 1 285 May 31, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The Loss of Grumpy Cat Foxaèr 8 964 May 17, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: AFTT47