Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a sea change on the horizon?
Is a sea change on the horizon?
[Image: Twenge_2015_Adloscent_USA_religion.png]

The statistics are clear: a cultural shift away from religion is underway in the USA

Quote:From time to time, we see surveys from the USA that suggest an increasing tide of non-affiliation to religion, especially among the young. Taken in isolation, it’s really hard to know what to make of them.

Maybe, for example, what we are seeing reflects religious apathy among the young. Maybe it’s simply that people believe just as strongly as ever – they just don’t identify with any particular religion.

Or maybe it reflects a fundamental shift in underlying cultural values.

In a massive new analysis looking at survey data from over 11 million young Americans, Jean Twenge (San Diego State University) and colleagues have teased out a clearer picture than ever of what is going on.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Is a sea change on the horizon?
America is finally losing its religion – and that’s a good thing!

Quote:Since 2007, the religious ‘nones’ (those who describe themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular”) have leapt in number by over 50% – an extra 19 million nonreligious Americans in 7 years. They now comprise some 23% of the population.

The Pew Survey is not alone. It comes on the back of a raft of similar surveys in recent years – even back in 2009, it was clear that there had been an upturn in the numbers of non-believers in the USA (although based on surveys far smaller than the Pew Survey). Earlier this year, an analysis of data from the ‘Monitoring the Future’ program showed how non-belief has risen dramatically among 8th, 10th and 12th graders.

Many of the non-religious in the Pew Survey are not diehard nonbelievers. You might think that, with a little effort, religious organisations could bring these folks back into the fold. But in fact this ‘fuzzy middle‘ is quite typical for the USA and is even larger in non-religious countries like the UK. What happens when a country loses religion is not that everyone become an atheist, but rather that most people, especially the less educated, simply stop caring.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Jor, you do realize these articles are from 2015? I don't like stale news!
Fake news! 😝
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
But good news.  Religion has fucked up the world and damn near ruined this country.  The sooner it dies out the better.
But, but, (wait for it)........................

...........look at the Asians and Africans. It doesn't matter that they are in the bottom half of the Human Development Index. Christianity is killin it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theory to how "Moses Crossing the Sea" tale came from Woah0 0 593 August 14, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Woah0
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2848 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Dead Sea Scrolls Fakes Mr Greene 7 791 March 17, 2020 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2892 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63155 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  "I refuse to change my mind" Socrates 41 6080 March 2, 2017 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  If I could change one thing about religion... robvalue 26 6331 January 9, 2016 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theists afraid of change Foxaèr 20 4800 April 27, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  This is Nice to See for a Change FatAndFaithless 41 6248 February 20, 2015 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Some great news for a change! Simon Moon 21 6299 January 7, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist