Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I refuse to change my mind"
"I refuse to change my mind"
There are many religious people who absolutely refuse to change their mind, some of them even call others who dont believe in their god and who claim to be open to being convinced a god exist closed minded.

So tell me, if I said, as an Atheist, that I refuse to change my mind, am I closed minded? If a religious person who agreed with you said they wouldn't change their mind, are they closed minded? What about religious people who disagree with you, are they closed minded?
The question is more aimed torwards religious people as you can probably tell.

If you think all the others who disagree with you are closed minded then what seperates your case from theirs?
Why in the first place would you refuse to change your mind about anything? That doesnt seem like an effective way to find truth, just clinging on to an answer and refusing to be convinced otherwise regardless of what we discover or see.

But how can you tell who is closed minded and who is not?
RE: "I refuse to change my mind"
I bow to facts. When someone shows me a fact, I redirect my thinking if such is necessary.

Those who refuse to honor facts will not earn my respect as thinkers. I may love them as people, but I will still know that cardinal flaw of theirs.

What Thump said. Anyone who says, 'I absolutely refuse to change my mind' is close-minded, by definition.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The problem is, usually one would ask the question "what *would* change your mind" and then judge based on that answer whether the person is close minded or not. The trouble is that this needs to be weighted with the plausibility and coherence of the proposition. For example, if someone asked me, what would change your mind about the existence of God, the first problem would be that I don't know which God you mean. For other God concepts it would be "nothing, because they are contradictory". The main problem though is that I would always find a more parsimonious explanation to fit any observation than "the almighty creator of the universe!". Only for people who have been exposed to this strange concept for a long time does it seem a plausible explanation. Such a person would call me closed minded for not jumpting to the God conclusion any time soon.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Is close minded the same as ignorance? Or can you be close minded despite the facts?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 27, 2017 at 5:02 am)Socrates Wrote: There are many religious people who absolutely refuse to change their mind, some of them even call others who dont believe in their god and who claim to be open to being convinced a god exist closed minded.

So tell me, if I said, as an Atheist, that I refuse to change my mind, am I closed minded? If a religious person who agreed with you said they wouldn't change their mind, are they closed minded? What about religious people who disagree with you, are they closed minded?

If you think all the others who disagree with you are closed minded then what seperates your case from theirs?
Why in the first place would you refuse to change your mind about anything? That doesnt seem like an effective way to find truth, just clinging on to an answer and refusing to be convinced otherwise regardless of what we discover or see.

Someone who is closed-minded cannot, if asked, restate their opponent's position, nor do they attempt to consider its implications.
(February 27, 2017 at 5:02 am)Socrates Wrote: There are many religious people who absolutely refuse to change their mind, some of them even call others who dont believe in their god and who claim to be open to being convinced a god exist closed minded.

Your query depends on the circumstances and context in which an argument, be it theistic or atheistic, is being put forward and on the argument itself. It's unclear in what sense you're claiming many theists as close-minded. Can you please give solid examples first about what exactly it is that they are changing their mind, before I can assess and provide my responses? Otherwise, this comes across as vague, unsubstantiated and over-generalised.
Ultimately everyone is open minded, however what the criteria are for access varies.
Some will value physical evidence over documentary evidence, for others the reverse is true.
Some are simply incapable of grasping nuanced concepts, and most will lie to themselves in order to preserve their current viewpoint. 
We are all subject to propaganda and will have erroneous concepts that we don't wish to examine too closely.
If someone states that nothing will change their mid they are merely lying to themselves.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(February 27, 2017 at 6:32 am)Adventurer Wrote:

Your query depends on the circumstances and context in which an argument, be it theistic or atheistic, is being put forward and on the argument itself. It's unclear in what sense you're claiming many theists as close-minded. Can you please give solid examples first about what exactly it is that they are changing their mind, before I can assess and provide my responses? Otherwise, this comes across as vague, unsubstantiated and over-generalised.
I'm saying a lot of religious people refuse to change their mind about god existing, and are closed minded about the subject.
A lot of the times if you ask a religious person what would convince them there is no god, they say nothing, and say they wouldn't change their mind.
Some even call others closed minded for disagreeing with them.
Despite this rigidity in regards to belief of people in the Christian realm, it doesn't seem to result in much in the way of 'in house' fealty or obedience to what should be evident and required dogma and strictures.

So, it's a two edged sword, an unwillingness to face the dearth of evidence supporting their beliefs, but also an unwillingness to actually comport themselves in a way as prescribed in Scripture.

Ever notice we see just as much weasel wording and strained logic in support of their god concept as we do in regards to their not having to follow every jot and tittle of his pronouncements in their holy tomes ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on mind miaharun 19 1011 March 3, 2022 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2851 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Is a sea change on the horizon? Angrboda 5 584 July 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 18081 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63166 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  If I could change one thing about religion... robvalue 26 6332 January 9, 2016 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion - The Poison For Human Mind (VIDEO) BLuex 1 1187 December 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: Can god read my mind? robvalue 27 6418 July 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does your God Only Live in your Mind? Salacious B. Crumb 2 1634 May 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Theists afraid of change Foxaèr 20 4801 April 27, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Polaris