Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I could change one thing about religion...
If I could change one thing about religion...
...it would be a shift away from the idea that holy books are "the word of god" and towards the idea that they are "[ancient] man's interpretation of god".

The first idea I see as incredibly dangerous. No matter how liberal people act, and how much they interpret all the bad bits out in their head, if they pass on the message that the book should be taken as literally true without question, then some people will do so. Calling them extremists for doing exactly what they are told to do is what makes me shake my head in despair.

The second I think is a much more sensible, rational, safer and accurate description. It also actually fits in with the current trend (which I'm very thankful for) of picking and choosing from the books. If this message was passed onto children, rather than the dogmatic idea that the text can't be questioned, I think things would be better for everyone. I wish people would be encouraged to interpret the texts themselves and to find their own meanings, rather than be told what it means.

If you are telling someone that parts of a book aren't meant to be taken literally, or simply ignoring parts of the book because they "don't apply", then it doesn't make sense to me that you would also tell them it's the perfect word of god. This is bound to be totally confusing and to produce unpredictable results.

I would be interested to know people's opinions on this, and for the theists, which statement best represents how they view the books.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: If I could change one thing about religion...
I think that's a very good idea. As a side benefit, it might lead to a lessening of inter-religious tension: If people grasp the idea that scriptures are interpretations of gods, it may make them a tad more thoughtful before they reach for the Heretic Bashing Rock.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Rob, IMO, you there are some "bits" which cannot be touched or changed.
We know that religion is a deck of cards. The bit you want to take away, although a noble idea, is a foundation block and cannot be removed.

Theists really genuinely believe in the afterlife (I know, cray cray). Once you introduce the idea of non sacred texts, then everyone's out!
This is why it can't and won't happen.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Some derivatives of hinduism like buddhism and sikhism were meant to be taken as words of wise men and not absolute commandments of a divine being... problem is fundamentalists will be fundamentalists and will twist words to fit their agenda
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 3, 2016 at 8:39 am)ignoramus Wrote: Rob, IMO, you there are some "bits" which cannot be touched or changed.
We know that religion is a deck of cards. The bit you want to take away, although a noble idea, is a foundation block and cannot be removed.

Theists really genuinely believe in the afterlife (I know, cray cray). Once you introduce the idea of non sacred texts, then everyone's out!
This is why it can't and won't happen.

They can still be considered sacred in that they were written by people who supposedly had interaction with "God", but just to drop the pretense that they recorded everything totally accurately and that the message hasn't changed over time.

I wouldn't expect them to drop the idea of the afterlife, or anything else in particular, just the idea that the book is infallible.

I mean, what many modern Christians believe isn't just different but actually contradictory to the bible. I have heard some Christians speak this way, and to hold the bible in more realistic regard. I'm hoping it will become more prevalent.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hello Sir, I have studied Buddhism from books/school when i was small. However we don't have a book with us after we have studied it. It never forced us to do anything. Merely a guide. To take what's in it is up to us. No one from the divine has written those, it was all Buddha's teachings which he went and found.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Gautama Buddha
If everyone focused on loving thy neighbor, and judging not lest they be judged, more than anything else in their holy books, the Abrahamic religions should be a lot nicer. Unfortunately history has proven otherwise.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 3, 2016 at 10:30 am)miaharun Wrote: Hello Sir, I have studied Buddhism from books/school when i was small. However we don't have a book with us after we have studied it. It never forced us to do anything. Merely a guide. To take what's in it is up to us. No one from the divine has written those, it was all Buddha's teachings which he went and found.

You buddhists seem like a pleasant bunch, for the most part. Of course, there's still the fact that rather than pursue some of those teachings the scientific way in this day and age you choose to subscribe to a quasi-religion, but whatchagonnado.
The only teachings magical/intangible in Buddhism are Karma and rebirth. I don't know if it is there or not. But that's what i like to believe.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Gautama Buddha
If that was the case, I would pay little to no attention to them. From what I see of humanity, very little people are actually guided that claim to be guided. If God can't prove Guides to be from him, then while I may personally want to follow so and so, there is no grounding for humanity to follow so and so.

If it was all about personal guidance with no rope of God for humanity to hold on to, then there is no reason for religion, God can can guide everyone individually. But people aren't guided individually, and we need to come together and reflect, but we need teachers/guides and books to do that. You want it to be that the best people on earth have no proof of their authority, which if the truth is strange, would leave them with hardly to perhaps no followers.

You want it to bet he case people to put their opinions out there, have us reflect over what they say, but God's hands to be cut off, that he doesn't communicate to us, opens doors of reflections, opens discourses that we may happily reflect and understand key issues.

If I were to change one thing about religion, is have everyone stop relying on fallible religious leaders as if they are representatives of infallible leaders or God. Rather pray for God to guide you until you are initiated into guidance by the Guide of time and revealed a will concerning you and your life, and commanded and instructed, by God's rightful human King on earth.

The problem is people want to replace God's Mastery with that of humans. Substitute his guidance with that of leaders that we don't know if they are pure like they make it seem to be and have no proof of authority from God.

I would make society also more grassroots in learning, rather, then follow clergy zealously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11432 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1084 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 8901 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2848 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10232 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3360 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is a sea change on the horizon? Angrboda 5 584 July 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4082 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 801 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 788 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods