Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rape of Dinah. Ethics of priestly class. Collective guilt
The Rape of Dinah. Ethics of priestly class. Collective guilt
Firstly, I would like to give a little disclaimer: I don't think that the story from Genesis 34 actually happened.  

But it is an entertaining and instructive story, nevertheless.

"Dinah, also spelled Dina, in the Old Testament (Genesis 30:21; 34; 46:15), daughter of Jacob by Leah; Dinah was abducted and raped near the city of Shechem, by Shechem, son of Hamor the Hivite (the Hivites were a Canaanitish people). Because Shechem then wished to marry Dinah, Hamor suggested to Jacob that their two peoples initiate a policy of commercial and social intercourse. Dinah’s brothers Simeon and Levi pretended to agree to the marriage and the  if Shechem and all the other males of the city of Shechem were circumcised. After the operations, while the men were still weakened, Simeon and Levi attacked the city, killed all the males, including Shechem and Hamor, and freed Dinah. They then joined in plundering the city."

Seriously, I find the story fascinating because

1. Levi then became a priest and his descendants, Levites were priests too. 

2. Why did they kill ALL males? 

If a member of a church commits murder, should all members of this church be stoned to death?
RE: The Rape of Dinah. Ethics of priestly class. Collective guilt
Maybe all members of all churches should be stoned to death.  Would solve a lot of problems.
(July 22, 2018 at 4:13 pm)Graufreud Wrote: Firstly, I would like to give a little disclaimer: I don't think that the story from Genesis 34 actually happened.  

But it is an entertaining and instructive story, nevertheless.

"Dinah, also spelled Dina, in the Old Testament (Genesis 30:21; 34; 46:15), daughter of Jacob by Leah; Dinah was abducted and raped near the city of Shechem, by Shechem, son of Hamor the Hivite (the Hivites were a Canaanitish people). Because Shechem then wished to marry Dinah, Hamor suggested to Jacob that their two peoples initiate a policy of commercial and social intercourse. Dinah’s brothers Simeon and Levi pretended to agree to the marriage and the  if Shechem and all the other males of the city of Shechem were circumcised. After the operations, while the men were still weakened, Simeon and Levi attacked the city, killed all the males, including Shechem and Hamor, and freed Dinah. They then joined in plundering the city."

Seriously, I find the story fascinating because

1. Levi then became a priest and his descendants, Levites were priests too. 

2. Why did they kill ALL males

If a member of a church commits murder, should all members of this church be stoned to death?

What happened to this?

"Firstly, I would like to give a little disclaimer: I don't think that the story from Genesis 34 actually happened."

My bold.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Bronze age nonsense!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(July 22, 2018 at 5:16 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Bronze age nonsense!

Iron age, actually, but let's not quibble.  Rubbish is rubbish, amiright?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 23, 2018 at 4:55 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

Well, it doesn't matter if it Iron or Bronze or Stone Age, if it's in the Bible, it is good and true. (just like talking donkeys) 

But soppose Huggy, Godscreated, Drich, JairCrawford, with their families and some random Christian dude are traveling abroad and the random dude would rape a girl. Then the whole company of Christians together with their wives and children and pets would be put on trial and be condemned to death. 
Will they complain before the execution that it is unjust?

-----
  Then Joshua, together with all Israel, took Achan son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the gold bar, his sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys and sheep, his tent and all that he had, to the Valley of Achor. 25 Joshua said, “Why have you brought this trouble on us? The Lord will bring trouble on you today.”

Then all Israel stoned him, and after they had stoned the rest, they burned them. 
Joshua 7.
I liked the parts where these old yahoodies tolchock each other and then drink their Hebrew vino, and getting onto the bed with their wives' handmaidens.
@OP

Your repeated efforts to pull an OT passage out and then try to derive some principles for today are misguided and shows a real lack of comprehending what you are reading. Look these terms up. 

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exegesis

Specifically, you are taking what is meant as a historical account and reading it as though it was some sort of moral instruction. Your methods are way off and your conclusions end up being nothing but nonsense.

Plus, Levi never was a priest.
(July 23, 2018 at 4:55 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

Probably not written down until the Hellenistic age...along with all the rest of the early bullshit.
In a weakened state from circumcision. What's that tell you?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 23, 2018 at 9:01 am)SteveII Wrote: @OP

Your repeated efforts to pull an OT passage out and then try to derive some principles for today are misguided and shows a real lack of comprehending what you are reading. Look these terms up. 

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exegesis

Specifically, you are talking what is meant as a historical account and reading it as though it was some sort of moral instruction. Your methods are way off and your conclusions end up being nothing but nonsense.

Plus, Levi never was a priest.

Ok, Levi was not a priest... sorry about that. 
--------------------

I think the story of Dinah was not meant primarily (if at all) as a historical account when it was written down. It was written and was/is used as some sort of moral instruction.

Furthermore, the story of Dinah (just like the whole Genesis) it is as historical as something from Odyssey. Which was based on some historical facts (Ancient Greeks sailed on ships and they encountered some serious dangers such as storms and there were hostile natives). But it doesn't make Odyssey a real historical account. But even if you don't believe that Poseidon causes storms, (we know that Yahweh does that Big Grin ), Odyssey can still be used for moral instruction, i.e. Odysseus could marry Calypso and become immortal, but he returned home to his wife and son.
I liked the parts where these old yahoodies tolchock each other and then drink their Hebrew vino, and getting onto the bed with their wives' handmaidens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The ethics of worship Nihilist Virus 42 5054 October 11, 2020 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Is priestly pedophilia really a sacrament ? How we can find out . . . vorlon13 12 1771 August 28, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4775 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6745 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How long was the rape scandal going on? Nihilist Virus 11 2740 June 13, 2016 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Priestly apologetics in a sermon this a.m. drfuzzy 13 3149 April 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Drich
  William Lane Craig's last math class was in high school?! Jehanne 24 4424 February 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  So is rape reeeally wrong? Jacob(smooth) 54 5355 June 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Ugandan Minister (and Catholic priest) says child rape is natural, if it's not gay Ryantology 19 6819 February 24, 2014 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  How do you avoid being held responsible for rape: Jesus! TaraJo 20 5631 December 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: TaraJo