Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Christianity unique or not?
Is Christianity unique or not?
On one hand there is a claim that

"Christians just doing what they always have been doing and that is taking other people's mythology and incorporating them into their own."

On the other hand a Christian author of this article argues that it is not the case

https://probe.org/the-pagan-connection-d...religions/ 

What can you say about that except that the author is a xtard/idiot ?
-----

Thank you very much for your opinion
I liked the parts where these old yahoodies tolchock each other and then drink their Hebrew vino, and getting onto the bed with their wives' handmaidens.
RE: Is Christianity unique or not?
Not much to add to your analysis. It's the usual load of desperate mental gymnastics. He only seems to be tackling the NT, and ignoring all the stuff the OT copies from earlier religions too.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
That article contains a lot of debunked bullshit, like:

Quote:Osiris is not resurrected from death to life. Instead he is changed into another form and lives in the underworld in a zombie state.

It is actually belived Osiris was the judge of the dead and the underworld agency that granted all life, including sprouting vegetation and the fertile flooding of the Nile River.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

Quote:Christianity insists on and defends the historical credibility of the Gospel accounts while the pagan cults make no such attempt.

Actually not true, like
most scholars of Hinduism and Indian history accept the historicity of Krishna - that he was a real male person, whether human or divine, who lived on Indian soil by at least 1000 BCE and interacted with many other historical persons within the cycles of the epic and puranic histories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna#Proposed_datings

Quote:Moreover, Mithraism flowered after Christianity, not before, so Christianity could not have copied from it. The timing is incorrect to have influenced the development of first-century Christianity. It is most likely the reverse: Christianity influenced Mithraism.

This was debunked long ago by Persian scholar and art historian, Abolala Soudavar who cited Plutarch, writing, "that in the year 67 BC, pirates who had more than a thousand sails and had captured more than four hundred cities, "offered strange rites of their own at Mount Olympus, and celebrated there, certain secret rites, among which those of Mithras continue to the present time, having been first instituted by them…"" Soudavar submits that Plutarch pins Mithraic worship in Rome long before the birth of Christ, and it is therefore improbable that Christian traditions informed Mithraic, but rather the opposite.

Quote:Parallels quickly break down when the facts are analyzed. In the pagan myths, the gods lust after women

LOL!!! And god of the Bible doesn't lust after women?!! Are you fucking kidding me?

Isaiah 3:17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.

Nahum 3:5 I am against you. This is the declaration of the LORD of Hosts. I will lift your skirts over your face and display your nakedness to nations, your shame to kingdoms.

Ezekiel 23:19-21 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Modern Christianity does not resemble first century Christianity. The modern Christians have borrowed the first century Christian myths and created their own new mythologies. So, if this religious evolutionary process is happening now, I am sure it has always happened.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Let me present Christians with a certain Greek myth that you might find familiar

[Image: cbGNHm1E_o.jpg]
[Image: jLbc5ZdL_o.jpg]
[Image: XtpHLXnk_o.jpg]
[Image: 3jwNC8jN_o.jpg]
[Image: o3hzX1CO_o.jpg]

Let me help you: it was later re-branded into angels visiting Lot and his wife in Sodom and Gomorrah. Yes, Sodom and Gomorrah a place that majority of Christains belives really exists somewhere buried, like underneath the Dead Sea.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The whole defense is kind of weird anyway. It's like saying Superman is totally original and not copied off of Spiderman.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 25, 2018 at 5:23 am)Graufreud Wrote: On one hand there is a claim that

"Christians just doing what they always have been doing and that is taking other people's mythology and incorporating them into their own."

On the other hand a Christian author of this article argues that it is not the case

Your critical thinking skills and attempt at conversation are truly amazing to behold (I'm being sarcastic in case you really are 13 and don't get that). Christianity is the most studied and written about topic in the history of mankind. We have documents that even secular scholars say are 99% that go all the way back to the first century in an unbroken chain. You latch on to some fringe theory that no competent scholar has ever supported and then throw it around like some novel truth that only 8 of you have. It remains to be seen whether your posts are even worth showing up on my screen. I'm sure I will know soon enough.
(July 25, 2018 at 7:29 am)SteveII Wrote: Your critical thinking skills and attempt at conversation are truly amazing to behold (I'm being sarcastic in case you really are 13 and don't get that).

(July 25, 2018 at 7:29 am)SteveII Wrote: You latch on to some fringe theory that no competent scholar has ever supported and then throw it around like some novel truth that only 8 of you have.

Says the adult who believes in magic.
(July 25, 2018 at 5:23 am)Graufreud Wrote: On one hand there is a claim that

-----

Thank you very much for your opinion

Quote:[Image: pat_175px-90x90.jpg]

Patrick Zukeran, former Probe staffer, is the founder and Executive Director of Evidence and Answers, a research and teaching ministry specializing in Christian apologetics, the defense of the Christian faith.

Xtard or idiot?
He's a standard issue Christian apologist; he is both.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
From the article: "History is moving in a purposeful direction. There is a purpose for mankind’s existence; history is moving in a direction to fulfill God’s plan for the ages. "

Nuff said.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The number one reason not to follow Christianity Aegon 43 8926 March 11, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6780 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is there any core feature of christianity not found in other religions Lemonvariable72 54 19174 March 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Christianity's god says that we are not worthy without him. Brakeman 19 3560 January 25, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: orangebox21
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18320 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  The original Christianity is not what is in the Bible Beta Ray Bill 46 13142 September 8, 2013 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Prove Christianity, not Theism in General Tea Earl Grey Hot 125 32647 March 25, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...? Xavier 154 67465 March 2, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger