Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Composites: what famous literary characters really look like
The Composites: what famous literary characters really look like
I recently discovered a blog called The Composites, and it's got an interesting twist: take famous characters from literature, take the way the author describes them in the text, and put that into a law enforcement composite sketch software, and show what they really look like. The fascinating thing about this? It's shocking how off-base our mental images of certain characters can really be. So, for now, I'll show some of the images here and let's see how many we get unaided, shall we? I'll keep it easy and focus only on iconic characters you're likely to know.

[Image: tumblr_m7kpqbOpqr1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 356629_18.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mdl7i4fgzf1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mkycmddpby1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n8yy2jXkru1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m8mky8a28S1r3ke0zo1_r1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lz35saOdX21r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m2iyn2PI5V1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_o2awfnjRmP1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

Well, how many did you get without peeking? If this intrigues you, then go to The Composites.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: The Composites: what famous literary characters really look like
(July 26, 2018 at 9:50 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I recently discovered a blog called The Composites, and it's got an interesting twist: take famous characters from literature, take the way the author describes them in the text, and put that into a law enforcement composite sketch software, and show what they really look like. The fascinating thing about this? It's shocking how off-base our mental images of certain characters can really be. So, for now, I'll show some of the images here and let's see how many we get unaided, shall we? I'll keep it easy and focus only on iconic characters you're likely to know.

[Image: tumblr_m7kpqbOpqr1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 356629_18.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mdl7i4fgzf1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mkycmddpby1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n8yy2jXkru1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m8mky8a28S1r3ke0zo1_r1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lz35saOdX21r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m2iyn2PI5V1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_o2awfnjRmP1r3ke0zo1_500.jpg]

Well, how many did you get without peeking? If this intrigues you, then go to The Composites.

I don't want to peek but it would really help to have a list of what characters are being portrayed.  That way I could look for the ones I'm familiar with.
I only got Sherlock Holmes and James Bond (from the scar). I guess that reveals something about my reading habits.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 26, 2018 at 9:53 am)Whateverist Wrote: I don't want to peek but it would really help to have a list of what characters are being portrayed.  That way I could look for the ones I'm familiar with.

Well, I'll give you the characters from works still copyrighted: Lolita, Billy Pilgrim, James Bond, Jesus.

Of the public domain characters, two are famous horror icons, one is the eponymous protagonist from a famous French novel, one is one of the most iconic antagonists in American fiction (certainly 19th century American fiction), and one was already name-dropped.

Sorry about that, I should have been more circumspect for the sake of the game.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 26, 2018 at 10:03 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Sorry about that, I should have been more circumspect for the sake of the game.

That's all right. Honestly, I picked the most iconic characters I could to try and make it easier.

(July 26, 2018 at 9:59 am)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(July 26, 2018 at 9:53 am)Whateverist Wrote: I don't want to peek but it would really help to have a list of what characters are being portrayed.  That way I could look for the ones I'm familiar with.

Well, I'll give you the characters from works still copyrighted: Lolita, Billy Pilgrim, James Bond, Jesus.

Of the public domain characters, two are famous horror icons, one is the eponymous protagonist from a famous French novel, one is one of the most iconic antagonists in American fiction (certainly 19th century American fiction), and one was already name-dropped.

Somebody has a coopyright on Jesus? Who? The Gideons?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(July 26, 2018 at 12:05 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(July 26, 2018 at 9:59 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Well, I'll give you the characters from works still copyrighted: Lolita, Billy Pilgrim, James Bond, Jesus.

Somebody has a coopyright on Jesus? Who? The Gideons?

Well, this version of Jesus? Nikos Kazantzakis; this is the Last Temptation of Christ version. And not the Willem Dafoe version, of course, but the one described in the book. The Bible is known for a lot of things, but descriptive prose of the sort required for this project is not one of them.

I know those guys. All of them have been in my yard at one or another. Damn punks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 26, 2018 at 3:08 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I know those guys. All of them have been in my yard at one or another. Damn punks.

And, of course, most of those guys are familiar with anyone with a passing interest in literature. Well, maybe Billy Pilgrim would slip a lot of minds, but all the other eight (except for Dolores Haze) have been had their stories made into films a whole mess of times. And I can't remember any of them looking like the images the Compositor posted here. Especially not the Dracula one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This May Be Worth A Look BrianSoddingBoru4 5 445 October 27, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Unseen characters John V 31 3382 March 27, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Joods
  look at art stonedape 5 1342 August 25, 2014 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Your literary counterpart BrokenQuill92 19 2001 January 16, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Favorite Movie Characters! The Reality Salesman01 62 15719 July 13, 2013 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Just look and admire this awsome picture! Something completely different 0 964 March 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Something completely different