Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm really getting the hang of FL Studio!

Here's my latest, better than the last I think:

RE: I'm really getting the hang of FL Studio!
It sounds a little like Aphex Twin.
Cool stuff. You're getting better fast.
I'd much rather get to know a few synths and drum machines than mess with a ton but not know how to use them.

I like exploring and finding my favorites.

And... of course... I alter all the settings hugely because I never like default synths... I like making my own. Love learning what sounds I like and what sounds I don't.
It's a good program, I've been playing with it, for..I guess, almost 20 years? I don;t know whether you're familiar with scales and standard progressions or not...but they can do wonders for your piano roll.
(you'll probably find that your melodies largely conform to a standard progression, for example)

-My kids think FL is a game, they play it as-such...I guess they're right about that...my son laid a kickass beat down on the preset this am. I saved it, lol, I'm totally going to steal it.

(you should drop that hats and claps earlier in your intro - pu- tcha..pu-tcha...pu- tcha. The wife likes it, btw..but..ah, 9 mins? Cut it to 4 and a half and see whats left. I think you'll like it.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't compromise my shit Wink

It just ends up the length that feels right.

No I don't know anything about scales or standard progressions, I don't know any music theory. I tried reading about chord progressions but I don't know what it's going on about because it seems to talk just about going up and down scales... which is NOT how tunes work so I must really be missing something there...

I do it all by feel. Neither of my two favorite musicians know any music theory either, so I don't care to learn any much.
(August 26, 2017 at 5:06 pm)Hammy Wrote: I don't compromise my shit Wink

It just ends up the length that feels right.

No I don't know anything about scales or standard progressions, I don't know any music theory. I tried reading about chord progressions but I don't know what it's going on about because it seems to talk just about going up and down scales... which is NOT how tunes work so I must really be missing something there...

I do it all by feel. Neither of my two favorite musicians know any music theory either, so I don't care to learn any much.

Basically you can do pretty well just from using the first and fifth chords possible in whatever scale.
(August 26, 2017 at 5:06 pm)Hammy Wrote:  I tried reading about chord progressions but I don't know what it's going on about because it seems to talk just about going up and down scales... which is NOT how tunes work so I must really be missing something there...
Actually that IS how tunes work. Its exactly how they work. But I wouldn't expect anyone to come away with a workable understanding of that from just reading a book. 

Quote:I do it all by feel. Neither of my two favorite musicians know any music theory either, so I don't care to learn any much.
Ah yes the old ignorance is better approach. Its really not better but I doubt you'll believe me. To each his own.
(August 26, 2017 at 6:32 pm)johan Wrote:
(August 26, 2017 at 5:06 pm)Hammy Wrote:  I tried reading about chord progressions but I don't know what it's going on about because it seems to talk just about going up and down scales... which is NOT how tunes work so I must really be missing something there...
Actually that IS how tunes work. Its exactly how they work. But I wouldn't expect anyone to come away with a workable understanding of that from just reading a book.

I may not know any theory but even I know that tunes don't just go up and down... sometimes you do go from A to G for instance...  

(August 26, 2017 at 6:32 pm)johan Wrote: Ah yes the old ignorance is better approach. Its really not better but I doubt you'll believe me. To each his own.

Actually, learning music theory has been known to create a lot of mental blocks in a person because it's hard to know when to break the rules when you've followed them over and over. It's no surprise, IMO, that my two favorite musicians are self taught and didn't learn any theory. Classically taught musicians often all sound the same.

Just finished a quick and short simple mix. This one's in F sharp minor. It sounds very techno-y. Probably more techno-y sounding than anything I've ever made. But it's very simple:

(August 26, 2017 at 7:01 pm)Hammy Wrote: I may not know any theory but even I know that tunes don't just go up and down... sometimes you do go from A to G for instance...  

Which is going a step down a scale. And nobody said that you can only go up and down a scale one step at a time. Changing from C3 to F3 is going a perfect fourth up a scale, B4 to D4 is going a major third down a scale, and so forth. So yes - all melody is going up and down one scale or another, by varied intervals.

(August 26, 2017 at 7:01 pm)Hammy Wrote: Actually, learning music theory has been known to create a lot of mental blocks in a person because it's hard to know when to break the rules when you've followed them over and over.

"It has been known"? Source, please. And even if that's true - training has been known to cause a lot of injuries; that doesn't mean that people who don't train are better sportsmen. Sure, the less you know about what you're doing - the less self-conscious you are about it, so it feels better for you. The more you learn -
the more you realize how much more there is yet to know, which can be discouraging. It's just Dunning-Kruger effect at work.

(August 26, 2017 at 7:01 pm)Hammy Wrote: It's no surprise, IMO, that my two favorite musicians are self taught and didn't learn any theory.

How do you know your favorite musicians didn't learn any theory? I am self taught, I taught myself a lot of theory - and am continuing to do so. And I outright reject the notion, that any self-respecting musician, who has been playing for a while - especially professionally - has not learned a whole bunch of theory along the way. It's just what you do - if you have to learn the same 3 chords all over again, every time you write a new song, you're unlikely to ever create anything more advanced than a 3-chord song.

(August 26, 2017 at 7:01 pm)Hammy Wrote: Classically taught musicians often all sound the same. [...]

LOL... So do musicians, who don't know anything about music and are constantly "discovering new grounds", that have been known for ages and explored ad nauseam. Besides, any music you're not into will "sound the same" to you, regardless of how much skill, knowledge, effort or emotion went into making it... And at the end of the day - there's a whole middle ground, you don't seem to be taking into account, where the vast majority of musicians find themselves - having some idea of how music works is not the same as being a Berklee College academic robot.

Nobody's saying you must learn music theory, especially when you're making music as a hobby, but I'm not sure why you feel the need to present ignorance as a virtue. Sure - there may be some extremely talented people, who can intuitively comprehend music, without having to consciously study it, and who can create impressive, original art "by feel" alone. But the rest of us need to learn and hone our craft, if we want our efforts to be appealing to an audience.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The First Tangible Result of the Biden Administration: Getting the Band Back Together Rev. Rye 0 217 January 18, 2021 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Getting off Diesel...... Brian37 3 529 September 30, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ok, this is getting ridiculous ......... Brian37 27 4000 May 1, 2018 at 8:01 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Made My First Ever FL Studio Song Edwardo Piet 10 1368 August 25, 2017 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  FL Studio Edwardo Piet 18 2368 August 11, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  I'm getting a new piercing Foxaèr 10 1585 June 9, 2016 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Getting old abaris 17 3022 October 15, 2015 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Strider
  Free plug for ABBA, not getting paid a dime. Brian37 28 4920 November 19, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Brian37