Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
Right about now, Trump and the Koch brothers and the rest of the Republican party have me disgusted.  The way they're governing is going to leave a scar across the world that will last long after they're gone. And to me and a lot of other intelligent, educated people, we see Trump is an orange skinned windbag with no redeaming qualities as president.  Not only that, but Republicans haven't had a decent president since before I was born.  

But there's one big question: why do they keep winning?

I mean, serious, they've had a habit of nominating complete morons as president and those morons win.  How?  I had hoped after the disaster that was the Dubya presidency, we would have learned our lesson and not voted for idiots.  Then Trump came along and we threw that lesson right out the window.  I would have hoped after the mess they left the economy, we would know better than to believe that tax cuts for the plutocrat class are going to help anyone else.  But those same people are cheering on Trumps tax cuts, the ones that are mostly paying out to the people who benefited from the Bush bailouts.

I guess my question is, why do republicans keep winning with such bad ideas?  And whatever the method to the madness is, can democrats harness that for their good ideas?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Can progressives learn anything from Republicans?
They're really good at being aggressive and persistent politically, usually they're good at framing. They're better at religious pandering than the dems by far. They're better at selling out than the dems, hence better funding.

They're really really good at gerrymandering.

I only want dems to be better at being aggressive and persistent politically, and framing.
(August 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm)TaraJo Wrote:  And whatever the method to the madness is, can democrats harness that for their good ideas?

I'd say no.  Those tools may be great at capturing seats, but that doesn't make them great tools to advance a good idea (or, for that matter, the common good).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2018 at 8:50 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(August 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm)TaraJo Wrote:  And whatever the method to the madness is, can democrats harness that for their good ideas?

I'd say no.  Those tools may be great at capturing seats, but that doesn't make them great tools to advance a good idea (or, indeed, the common good).

Not capturing seats would seem to be an even worse tool for advancing good ideas.

(August 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Right about now, Trump and the Koch brothers and the rest of the Republican party have me disgusted.  The way they're governing is going to leave a scar across the world that will last long after they're gone. And to me and a lot of other intelligent, educated people, we see Trump is an orange skinned windbag with no redeaming qualities as president.  Not only that, but Republicans haven't had a decent president since before I was born.  

But there's one big question: why do they keep winning?

I mean, serious, they've had a habit of nominating complete morons as president and those morons win.  How?  I had hoped after the disaster that was the Dubya presidency, we would have learned our lesson and not voted for idiots.  Then Trump came along and we threw that lesson right out the window.  I would have hoped after the mess they left the economy, we would know better than to believe that tax cuts for the plutocrat class are going to help anyone else.  But those same people are cheering on Trumps tax cuts, the ones that are mostly paying out to the people who benefited from the Bush bailouts.

I guess my question is, why do republicans keep winning with such bad ideas?  And whatever the method to the madness is, can democrats harness that for their good ideas?

Yes.  Don’t assume if you let others live, they willl let you live.   When the side is the republicans, the only political good one can ever do must start by knocking the other side to the ground politically, and then kicking them to death, and then kicking them some more.
I suppose it would on the surface..but some part of the explanation for why the GOP has turned into a bunch of creepy fuckers is that they are beholden to the seat capturing scheme.  The same would be true of democrats using the same scheme.

Let's put it into context, with just one part of the scheme. Telling dumdums what they want to hear. Obama told everyone they could keep their doctors. How'd that work out? Is there some great idea somewhere doing well by the application of the republican model?

Or hey..hey, maybe the dems should suppress votes?  I;m sure that voter suppression could be the springboard to countless great things.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2018 at 8:53 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I suppose it would on the surface..but some part of the explanation for why the GOP has turned into a bunch of creepy fuckers is that they are beholden to the seat capturing scheme.  The same would be true of democrats using the same scheme.

Let's put it into context, with just one part of the scheme.  Telling dumdums what they want to hear.  Obama told everyone they could keep their doctors.  How'd that work out?  Is there some great idea somewhere doing well by the application of the republican model?

Or hey..hey, maybe the dems should suppress votes?  I;m sure that voter suppression could be the springboard to countless great things.

The key isn’t telling people what they want to hear. The key is telling people what are afraid to hear, about your political enemies.
Go nativist...?  Kicking off a great and productive nativist renaissance.

Maybe just outright bullshit...like stomping your feet and refusing to play when you don;t like the rules..or a president, or their judicial nominations? Surely good things lie just behind that door.

I could do this all night..but since this is america, how about a gun analogy instead?  5.56 is a great way to inflict horrific casualties on your enemy....but it's a lot harder to apply humanitarian aid with a bullet. The same is true of the republican model that's taken so many seats. It;s great at that thing...but....and this has been made apparent...not the other thing.
They keep winning because of stupid voters.  There are a few who hang around here when goose-stepping practice is over for the day!
Humanitarian aid must wait until your political enemies are dead. The more 50 cal bullets you fire into your enemy for each .223 he ties to fire at you, the faster you can get around to the humanitarian work.

(August 1, 2018 at 9:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They keep winning because of stupid voters.  There are a few who hang around here when goose-stepping practice is over for the day!

They keep wining because the democrats don’t treat voters as stupid enough often enough.
I want the dems to be better at being persistent and aggressive, and to be better at framing in a logically and morally consistent way. It can be done.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 306 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2111 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3263 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1291 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1305 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 831 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 2013 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 623 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6691 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can the polarization between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. be reversed? Angrboda 36 5791 December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Little lunch