Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideologues - The Biggest Danger to a Society
Ideologues - The Biggest Danger to a Society
Ideologues are those that treat their political views on various topics like a religion, and don't critically analyze their own point of view on things. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLVBOne2ASg

RE: Ideologues - The Biggest Danger to a Society
Only if people listen to them.

That seems to be the bigger problem.
Wouldn't it depend on the contents of their ideology?  If a person has an ideology that states "We should, like, be groovy to each other, man" in what way does giving that ideology the religious treatment threaten society?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:If a person has an ideology that states "We should, like, be groovy to each other, man"

You see how well that worked out with jesusism.

[Image: Love-your-enemies.jpg]

became:

[Image: republican-jesus-23.jpg]
(August 30, 2018 at 1:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:If a person has an ideology that states "We should, like, be groovy to each other, man"

You see how well that worked out with jesusism.

Jesusism was quite a bit more elaborate.  If it had stuck with being groovy - probably wouldn't have turned out the way it did.  I can grok, though, that in any ideology theres a risk that additional spoken and unspoken items might make for a chilling turn someday. Isn't that an issue of the ideologies contents, still?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2018 at 1:12 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Ideologues are those that treat their political views on various topics like a religion, and don't critically analyze their own point of view on things.

I think that ideologues, if Marx is to be categorized as one, can be quite beneficial to society, no matter how fiercely they profess their beliefs. Marx in particular (whether or not you buy into his philosophy wholesale) pointed out some very prevalent injustices in society. People were(/are) being treated as mere machines... demoted to the status of "inanimate object." Marx wrote a bunch of shit pointing that out.

The problem (which you do address in your post) is with an ideology that places itself above criticism. The problem is an ideology that is forced on people rather than adopted by them.
Islam is a terrifying ideology. Kids minds are hardwired to fear hell from really young age and when they grow up they are in danger of being killed for openly doubting the existence of God. Being born in a comfy EU, I can't even imagine such shit.
(August 30, 2018 at 1:33 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Wouldn't it depend on the contents of their ideology?  If a person has an ideology that states "We should, like, be groovy to each other, man" in what way does giving that ideology the religious treatment threaten society?

That's not really an ideology.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
O----kay. I'm trying to figure out whether the notion that ideologues are dangerous is..like the notion that fundamentalism is dangerous...shorthand for something else, something more elaborate and specific. It's been accurately pointed out that the only time fundamentalism is dangerous..is when the fundamentals of the religion are dangerous. Wouldn't the same be true of ideologues, and ideologies?

What's dangerous to society..for example, about an ardent Green Ideologue, or Green Ideology? What would the danger to society in a person elevating sustainability to quasi-religious status be?
(August 30, 2018 at 5:40 pm)Khemikal Wrote: O----kay. I'm trying to figure out whether the notion that ideologues are dangerous is..like the notion that fundamentalism is dangerous...shorthand for something else, something more elaborate and specific. It's been accurately pointed out that the only time fundamentalism is dangerous..is when the fundamentals of the religion are dangerous. Wouldn't the same be true of ideologues, and ideologies?

What's dangerous to society..for example, about an ardent Green Ideologue, or Green Ideology? What would the danger to society in a person elevating sustainability to quasi-religious status be?

I agree with the OP that ideologes are dangerous. Let's take your example of a green party ideologue. Now we can't really know the truth of this, but I'll use an example of a green ideologue in power and a green pragmatists.

So the green pragmatist goes into power and impliments a series of economic and environment reforms. Let's say they end up doing unintented economic harm, kill off an industry or some such. The pragmatist, because he's self examining will recognize it, and go and adjust the reform while keeping the goals of the reform the same.

Put the ideologue in the same situation, and if the same collapse happens, because of lack of self examination, will blame outside forces, blame the opposition party, the past president etc etc. Anything but his own ideas. Hence why ideologues are always dangerous.

Unless you think that somehow the greens have it nailed exactly on 100% of issues, you should see the problem with that.

If you DO think the greens have it 100% right...well then you are an ideologue. It's a narrow view point that leaves no room for improvement, amoungst it's many other problems.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yellow alert: warning USA in danger Eclectic 105 7629 November 25, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Exhorting Atheists to Solve Society's Ills Prof.Lunaphiles 21 1828 April 18, 2020 at 3:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  And Lewandowski Was One Of His Biggest Ass Kissers Minimalist 4 626 December 2, 2017 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2638 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My Biggest Criticism Of My Own Country (Canada) Amarok 11 4384 September 20, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: c172
  Regarding the progress of society Macoleco 7 1481 June 23, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My biggest fear with this current administration NuclearEnergy 9 1284 March 21, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  No One Actually Wants an Equal Society InquiringMind 69 7708 March 21, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is this ok in a democratic society? Something completely different 14 4726 August 21, 2013 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Most Atheists Believe the Biggest Lie Christianity Ever Told ComplexityofChaos 21 5517 February 2, 2013 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Cato