Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Atheists Believe the Biggest Lie Christianity Ever Told
Most Atheists Believe the Biggest Lie Christianity Ever Told
The story that the Bible tells us opens with the fable of an Adam and Eve in a mythical garden. They are given a command, an order, by some god. There is no reason ever given for the command, they are simply told to obey. Well, after speaking with a snake, Eve decides that it would be a good idea to disobey and so she does, and also convinces Adam too as well. The result? Eternal damnation for all humanity.

The moral of this story is blind obedience is a virtue. Do not question authority, simply obey. Despite most atheists claiming to have rejected the Bible and its morality, most atheists agree that we have a duty to obey the government. But why?

The fact is that no one has ever come up with a single rational reason why an adult should have to obey another adult if she does not want to. And by logical extension, no government, since it is simply made up of individual people, has the right to force anyone to do anything, provided they are not hurting anyone. Yet, how many atheists accept this fact of reality? Hardly any. Atheists regularly accept obedience as the proper thing to do even when a government tramples their freedoms without justification. The lesson of blind obedience being a virtue has infected far more than the Christians sitting in church on Sunday. If this view that obedience is a virtue is rational, then why is it that no one has put forth any cogent argument for why anyone should have to obey any legal authority? This belief comes from irrational religion. Rejecting a religion while accepting the most fundamental lie from that religion is nothing to get excited about.
RE: Most Atheists Believe the Biggest Lie Christianity Ever Told
I agree. People also teach their children to blindly obey every adult, and this has had dire consequences for many children.
Most atheists don't believe much (if) anything, because they are inanimate objects, or species that haven't even considered the ideas of greater powers in their world.

Naturally, I disagree with you speaking for most of them as though you were an authority on the matter Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm)ComplexityofChaos Wrote: The moral of this story is blind obedience is a virtue. Do not question authority, simply obey. Despite most atheists claiming to have rejected the Bible and its morality, most atheists agree that we have a duty to obey the government. But why?

I don't know, this is news to me. I've never heard any atheist suggest that we should swear blind obedience to a government, as there are very obvious reasons why that is a bad idea.

Where is your evidence for the claim that most atheists agree on this?

Yeah, but.... they have guns.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Atheists are a pretty diverse group. I think the only thing we all have in common is that we all believe that there is no God.

I'm sure there are some who believe in strict, blind adherance to the state. There are others who are strict anarchists who are completely anti-state. And everyone else is in between.

Me, I recogonize that there are advantages to living within the state laws, but that doesn't mean that you should just adhere to any law or refuse to question your nation. Weigh the positives and the negatives and choose from there.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(January 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm)ComplexityofChaos Wrote: Atheists regularly accept obedience as the proper thing to do even when a government tramples their freedoms without justification.

Firstly, you assume that all atheists take an interest in politics. That assumption is false. Secondly, as a people under one government you at least have the opportunity to abolish the government if they don't do their jobs well or petition for new laws.

Quote:If this view that obedience is a virtue is rational, then why is it that no one has put forth any cogent argument for why anyone should have to obey any legal authority?

Because usually these authorities have a better understanding of how the state works and with more information they are more fit to rule. It's the government's and the legal authorities' duty to protect the people, it's the people's duty to make sure that they elect sensible human beings and give their input when something doesn't go right.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Quote:The fact is that no one has ever come up with a single rational reason why an adult should have to obey another adult if she does not want to.

Really? I think the jails are full of them.
Thinking absence of human component in argument Thinking

Non event as far as I can see... people are NOT blind...well not totally Dunno
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
ummmm ...

Where are all these atheists that blindly follow authority?
Is this a call to anarchy?

Even christians don't universally follow man-made authority.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to call this one ...

[Image: Bullshit-stamp.png]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All Politicians Lie onlinebiker 23 1139 January 11, 2021 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Buzzfeed reports Trump directed Cohen to lie to congress LadyForCamus 61 6428 January 26, 2019 at 5:49 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Ideologues - The Biggest Danger to a Society Mechaghostman2 15 1391 August 30, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do conservatives lie more than liberals? Angrboda 23 2572 June 17, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  And Lewandowski Was One Of His Biggest Ass Kissers Minimalist 4 653 December 2, 2017 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2727 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My Biggest Criticism Of My Own Country (Canada) Amarok 11 4403 September 20, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: c172
  My biggest fear with this current administration NuclearEnergy 9 1291 March 21, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Khizr Khan (Gold Star Family) Told that his Travel Privileges are "under review." SteelCurtain 6 1471 March 7, 2017 at 4:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dumbest thing a Trump supporter has told you NuclearEnergy 0 691 January 21, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy