Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high
Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high
Suggested by the modelling

Quote:Earth's civilization has a “very low probability” of surviving the next few decades without facing a catastrophic collapse, according to a study published in the Nature journal Scientific Reports.

Two researchers from Chile and the UK used modeling to see how rates of resource consumption, namely in terms of deforestation, affects the ability of global human society to sustain itself. By their workings, there’s just a 10 percent chance that human civilization will be able to make it through the next 20 to 40 years without a catastrophic collapse.

“We conclude from a statistical point of view that the probability that our civilization survives itself is less than 10 percent in the most optimistic scenario,” the study authors write.

“Calculations show that, maintaining the actual rate of population growth and resource consumption, in particular forest consumption, we have a few decades left before an irreversible collapse of our civilization.”

“It is hard to imagine, in absence of very strong collective efforts, big changes of these parameters to occur in such time scale,” they added.

This is all theoretical, of course. The study authors are both mathematical physicists who use modeling to understand complex systems, ranging from complicated biological processes to fiddly social systems. This intensely theoretical approach does have some limitations. As the researchers point out, their work assumes some parameters (such as population growth and deforestation rate) will remain constant, which is certainly not guaranteed. Forest is also taken as a proxy for all resources, which could be seen as oversimplistic.

Nevertheless, the study paints a compelling image of how rampant deforestation and population collapse threaten human society as a whole.
RE: Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high
After the planet shakes humans of like a bad case of fleas, a day will come when all human residue is washed away, as if they never existed.
I'll be dead, the kid will have all my money, guns and ammo. Maybe I should convert his share into non-paper (gold, silver, jools,.....) before I check out.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 31, 2020 at 10:57 pm)brewer Wrote: I'll be dead, the kid will have all my money, guns and ammo. Maybe I should convert his share into non-paper (gold, silver, jools,.....) before I check out.

Guns tend to be a safer investment over time - if you buy wisely.
"Imminent" and "decades" don't jibe when describing change to people.  Let's check back with those models in a score.
Just don't trust Vault Tec when it happens.
Dying to live, living to die.
The great god Inertia is watching over us.
That's why this NWO is here. To solve a lot of these problems...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 1, 2020 at 5:20 am)ignoramus Wrote: That's why this NWO is here. To solve a lot of these problems...

That's why I have a bio weapon in development. To solve these problems.
Dying to live, living to die.
Bio weapons are good. Very targeted! I'd feel so guilty killing a cat by mistake!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure? FlatAssembler 14 687 December 26, 2023 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Measles cases hit record high in Europe zebo-the-fat 13 1403 September 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1638 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists orogenicman 6 2160 December 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: orogenicman