Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
If you find the perfect match for you romantic relationship-wise but then you lose them ... then what?
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
RE: Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
Re-evaluate your criteria for perfect.
I'd question your definition of perfect and/or relationship. I don't believe in "soul mate".

Then what?........ whatever you want.

Edit: Damn ninja's.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 15, 2020 at 6:33 pm)brewer Wrote: I'd question your definition of perfect and/or relationship. I don't believe in "soul mate".

Then what?........ whatever you want.

Edit: Damn ninja's.

To me a soul mate is a person is a person who is so great that you will never meet somebody that great again before you die.

I agree that there is no teleology or divine purpose that assigns us to one person. But there may be somebody so amazing for us that once we meet them they're really a one in a million and the chances are basically zero that you'll ever meet somebody that amazing again before you die.

(July 15, 2020 at 6:33 pm)Ranjr Wrote: Re-evaluate your criteria for perfect.

Perfect = perfect for me.

I don't know how to re-evaluate that. Perfect for me is the perfect match for me.

Is a life without sex and romance worth living it as a monogamous person who doesn't want to ever settle for second best? I'm not asexual or aromantic.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
It's very unusual to find two people equally great in the same ways, but being unable to find someone with whom you can have a happy life? I don't think that's likely.
But I can have a happy life being single.

EDIT: But without a person who is right for me I feel like I only have happiness in a very shallow---i.e. non-deep---sense.
If you lost them (other than through death), then they clearly weren’t ‘perfect’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 15, 2020 at 6:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you lost them (other than through death), then they clearly weren’t ‘perfect’.

Boru

But what about the possibility that they were slightly too good for me. Not because they are egotistical. But because they really do deserve slightly better. This may mean that I deserve slightly worse ... but it may also be true that they will never find anybody better than me but I'm still not good enough and they're better off alone. Is this making sense?

Every person in every couple you have ever met has failed in every relationship except the one they are currently in and even that one might end at any moment. There are plenty of fish in the sea, but you know what else is in the sea? microplastics.
(July 15, 2020 at 6:45 pm)ModusPonens1 Wrote:
(July 15, 2020 at 6:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you lost them (other than through death), then they clearly weren’t ‘perfect’.

Boru

But what about the possibility that they were slightly too good for me. Not because they are egotistical. But because they really do deserve slightly better.  This may mean that I deserve slightly worse ... but it may also be true that they will never find anybody better than me but I'm still not good enough and they're better off alone. Is this making sense?

If they were too good for you, then they weren’t perfect for you. Is sounds as if you're describing an obsession and not a relationship.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If life is temporary, why is finding a date so HARD? snow_wolf22 126 7019 October 30, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Age Gap Relationships FrustratedFool 32 1616 September 21, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  How would you react to finding out you were making out with a transsexual? TaraJo 102 6387 March 28, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do satirists respond to criticism from the ones close to them? Der/die AtheistIn 3 509 March 13, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Getting space in relationships Der/die AtheistIn 17 825 September 16, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*