Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price
Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/...story.html

Is it bad that I want to see someone smash this guy's face in with a metal baseball bat, and then the hospital deny his insurance, and charge him $1,000,000,000 for treatment?  And then when he complains say it's a moral requirement they charge him the highest possible price.

I fucking hate people so much sometimes.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
RE: Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price
But how's he to make any money if he doesn't charge the highest price?
RE: Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price
This is what happens when people are allowed to run a monopoly. Competition is needed to drive prices down, because this happens when there's no competition.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't know that it's a moral imperative, but it is a business imperative to maximize profits for the benefit of stockholders and that is a moral and legal imperative. I understand we don't want profit to drive the decisions of pharmaceutical companies, but there don't immediately appear particularly good alternatives that I know of. Consumers can put some pressure on manufacturers, but since they have a captive market, that's ineffective. It could be mandated by law and regulated, but that might chill the motivation for spending the money to research and develop new drugs, and that's a lot. There doesn't seem to be an obvious solution, or, at the least, I haven't heard of one.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Imagine if Jonas Salk felt that way about the Polio Vaccine.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(September 15, 2018 at 10:38 am)Divinity Wrote: Imagine if Jonas Salk felt that way about the Polio Vaccine.

And how exactly would that help?

"The vaccine is calculated to be worth $7 billion had it been patented." ~ Wikipedia

Do you know how much R&D seven billion dollars can fund? How many new and improved medications could be developed?
But.. but.. healthcare is a commodity...  Dodgy
(right wing idioticy )

And no competition does not drive down prices
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/su...-down.html
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Vaccines Are Profitable, So What?

Quote:Not only do pediatricians and doctors often lose money on vaccine administration, it wasn't too long ago that the vaccine industry was struggling with slim profit margins and shortages. The Economist wrote that "for decades vaccines were a neglected corner of the drugs business, with old technology, little investment and abysmal profit margins. Many firms sold their vaccine divisions to concentrate on more profitable drugs."

In fact, vaccines were so unprofitable that some companies stopped making them altogether. In 1967, there were 26 vaccine manufactures. That number dropped to 17 by 1980. Ten years ago, the financial incentives to produce vaccines were so weak that there was growing concern that pharmaceutical companies were abandoning the vaccine business for selling more-profitable daily drug treatments. Compared with drugs that require daily doses, vaccines are only administered once a year or a lifetime. The pharmaceutical company Wyeth (which has since been acquired by Pfizer) reported that they stopped making the flu vaccine because the margins were so low.
(September 15, 2018 at 11:09 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 15, 2018 at 10:38 am)Divinity Wrote: Imagine if Jonas Salk felt that way about the Polio Vaccine.

And how exactly would that help?

"The vaccine is calculated to be worth $7 billion had it been patented." ~ Wikipedia

Do you know how much R&D seven billion dollars can fund?  How many new and improved medications could be developed?

How much is the financial damage to society resulting from reduction in the numbers of people vaccinated?

To optimize the value of the medical establishment, the advantage of greater investment in medical R&D must be balanced against:

1. the aggregate effect of reduction in accessibility of the fruits of past R&D.

2. the creation of harmful perverse incentives for selectively focusing on those R&D that promises to maximize the revenue to the pharmaceutical industry rather than to minimize the aggregate cost to society of ill health.
(September 15, 2018 at 11:42 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(September 15, 2018 at 11:09 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: And how exactly would that help?

Do you know how much R&D seven billion dollars can fund?  How many new and improved medications could be developed?

How much is the financial damage to society resulting from reduction in the numbers of people vaccinated?

To optimize the value of the medical establishment, the advantage of greater investment in medical R&D must be balanced against:

1. the aggregate effect of reduction in accessibility of the fruits of past R&D.

2. the creation of harmful perverse incentives for selectively focusing on those R&D that promises to maximize the revenue to the pharmaceutical industry rather than to minimize the aggregate cost to society of ill health.

Okay. And how do we get there? I don't think asking pharmaceutical companies to just give away their labors like Salk did is any kind of answer. As noted in my last post, lack of profit can equally as well dry up access.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 994 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Trump was just advertising for a drug for COVID; he wasn't sick WinterHold 36 2312 October 17, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  BREAKING: Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war WinterHold 52 3133 April 25, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  White Americans are drug dealers and rapists.... Brian37 7 648 March 29, 2020 at 7:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Democratic Drug Den EgoDeath 50 3045 October 2, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Worst Drug Dealer EVER BrianSoddingBoru4 17 710 May 4, 2019 at 1:08 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This Is What Happens When You Put An Idiot In Charge of a Complex System Minimalist 132 12065 December 6, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1718 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Lol@Price Alex K 4 602 September 30, 2017 at 12:39 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Rarity on The Price Is Right. Brian37 12 1253 September 24, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37