Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Media is Evil
Social Media is Evil
In the early days of the internet, before the World Wide Web, we had Usenet. This was a primitive implementation of message boards like this one. They were very useful for connecting like-minded individuals together. Message boards was the web's answer to Usenet. We got the utility of Usenet with the multimedia capabilities of the web added in. That was progress.

Then came the fucking disease called Facebook. It's not that I have anything against people keeping up with family and long-distance friends to chat about who's fucking who and who's in rehab and who's got herpes and who needs hemorrhoid surgery. Those things are all fine. But why to fuck do people get the idea that a forum like that is an arena suitable for replacing dedicated forums like this one? It makes me want to fucking scream!

I do not want ANYTHING to do with Fucking Facebook or Reddit or any other of the fucking stupid social media websites. I have no desire to discuss the boil growing on my left nut or what the huge turd I deposited this morning looked like. But those fucking cancers are drawing everybody in so that people are abandoning dedicated message boards like this one.

This SUCKS! I lived to experience a huge upgrade in life when I was suddenly empowered to connect with like-minded individuals on the other side of planet. Now, I can only do so if I submit to joining organizations I want nothing to do with!

Web 2.0 isn't an upgrade; it's a massive, fucking downgrade!

Who feels the same?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Social Media is Evil
Hubby and I frequent a ukulele jam group that is a 45 minute drive from home for us. And the only way we can see if a jam session has been cancelled is on....wait for it....fucking Facebook. We used to be able to at least see minimal information, but when I tried to look at the "public" (I guess) part of their page this week it threw a wall up at me and wouldn't let me see a damned thing without signing up with Facebook. It's infuriating!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
Gave up on FB earlier this year.

I'm only on here and IMGUR.
Dying to live, living to die.
I agree. Facebook is good for somethings, but not very good for discussion like a forum.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Social media, like anything is okay in small doses.
I took FB for all of about a month, It was just ICK!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
FB is one internet vice I have avoided.  It's just a giant time suck.

I also don't Tweet.  If you want to tweet, be a bird.
Facebook is okay. I have one friend, so I don't have to worry about peaking into the windows of virtual strangers. I have "liked" a range of news sources, museums, and climate change organizations I enjoy following. And I am collecting beautiful paintings and photography with the "share" function.
(September 21, 2018 at 6:45 pm)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: Hubby and I frequent a ukulele jam group that is a 45 minute drive from home for us.  And the only way we can see if a jam session has been cancelled is on....wait for it....fucking Facebook.  We used to be able to at least see minimal information, but when I tried to look at the "public" (I guess) part of their page this week it threw a wall up at me and wouldn't let me see a damned thing without signing up with Facebook.  It's infuriating!

A ukelele jam group? Ok! You just proved the OP's point!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Quote:a ukulele jam group

Can....not....fucking....resist....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  License for operating social media Fake Messiah 2 751 December 16, 2022 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Do you think social media affects public opinion? WinterHold 14 842 January 12, 2021 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Groove Music vs Windows media player paulpablo 1 1885 November 11, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  My Media Player Darwinian 16 4131 September 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  Analysis of a Facebook social engineering/Javascript "hack" Autumnlicious 4 3266 March 2, 2011 at 9:29 am
Last Post: fr0d0