Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Do you think social media affects public opinion?
Do you think social media affects public opinion?
I just wanted to know your opinions seriously.

As simple as the question is, I'm seriously oblivious to its answer.. at first I thought it -sm- really affects public opinion; but with Trump's defeat I'm having second thoughts.

What do you seriously think
RE: Do you think social media affects public opinion?
Yes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yes.

Not at work.
Yes

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It goes two ways I think. Public opinion also shapes the trends that occur on social media.
yes, 100%
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Public opinion has the structural fortitude of paper mache.
Depends on the age group and the ability to think.

That's more personal than public.

Guess I might need to consider the echo chamber effect but I'm rarely in that chamber.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
For sure it affects public opinion. I would say it effects how we live our lives to such a degree as to be a new normal with potentially catastrophic consequences.
(January 11, 2021 at 5:51 am)WinterHold Wrote: I just wanted to know your opinions seriously.

As simple as the question is, I'm seriously oblivious to its answer.. at first I thought it -sm- really affects public opinion; but with Trump's defeat I'm having second thoughts.

What do you seriously think

I think it always depends on the individual. Long before the internet, when I was a kid, peer pressure and product placement and tobacco marketing did work on me and I started smoking. Other kids it didn't work on. But just like any product, or service, including social media, the CEOs wouldn't make money if marketing didn't work to some degree. Big tobacco was successfully sued and forced to stop marketing to kids. But that hasn't had enough effect because they still display cartons and packs openly. In Australia tobacco is in unmarked cabinets. Even with hard liquor they don't sell it on tv or in grocery stores. 

I used to scoff at Richard Dawkin's meme theory, but now I don't. I think it is very real. I think words and colors and smells and framing appeal to others to get an audience or sale does have a literal impact on the neurological pathways in one's brain. So yea, to a great degree social media can have an impact on public opinion in both positive and negative ways. The social media platform CEOs know very well how to appeal to users. 

The like button or thumbs up button you see is designed to trigger endorphins in your brain to get you to pay attention more. That is a double edge sword though, because while it can reinforce good things like valuing peace and cooperation, it is also unfortunately used to attract religious and political wingnuts of any label. 

Social media CEOs work just like any other advertising, except they use algorithms.

But I don't think the inventors of Facebook or Twitter, when they invented them, were worried enough about how abused it is by those who would do violence to others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  License for operating social media Fake Messiah 2 742 December 16, 2022 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Social Media is Evil AFTT47 51 3082 September 28, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Sunflower
  Have you ever used Protonmail ? What do you think about it ? The Wise Joker 20 3865 January 30, 2017 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Groove Music vs Windows media player paulpablo 1 1871 November 11, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  My Media Player Darwinian 16 4109 September 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  Public Webcam Interface #2 - Twice the webcams, twice the creepiness. Tiberius 7 3117 October 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Public Webcam Interface Tiberius 2 2789 August 27, 2012 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Analysis of a Facebook social engineering/Javascript "hack" Autumnlicious 4 3257 March 2, 2011 at 9:29 am
Last Post: fr0d0