Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading suggestions
Reading suggestions
I've been looking to read some books about the history of the creation of the old and new testaments for quite a while.

Mind you, I'd prefer them to be written by skeptics, not apologists.

Anyone have any suggestions?
RE: Reading suggestions
(December 27, 2010 at 6:53 pm)Spart Wrote: I've been looking to read some books about the history of the creation of the old and new testaments for quite a while.

Mind you, I'd prefer them to be written by skeptics, not apologists.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Why do you prefer them to be written by skeptics only? Maybe you should read books written by both sides.

Because religionists start with a conclusion and look for supporting facts. This is not a valid way to find the truth.
(December 27, 2010 at 8:05 pm)Spart Wrote: Because religionists start with a conclusion and look for supporting facts. This is not a valid way to find the truth.

Skeptics start with axioms too, so I don't think your reason for not reading both sides of the issue is legitimate. Seems more of just a way to get people to tell you what you want to hear.
Why do you feel the need to shit on my thread? I asked for reading suggestions, not to start a debate.
(December 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm)Spart Wrote: Why do you feel the need to shit on my thread? I asked for reading suggestions, not to start a debate.

Doing nohting of the sort. You are completely entitled to only reading people who agree with you and will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Just thought if you actually wanted to learn about the Old and New Testaments you might want to also read what actual Biblical scholars had to say as well. You do what you want, it's your brain :-)

You want to start an argument, and I'm not going to argue with you.
(December 27, 2010 at 8:21 pm)Spart Wrote: You want to start an argument, and I'm not going to argue with you.

I am not a fan of arguing, don't mind debating or discussing though. Well you don't have to read it, but I feel this would give you lots of insight into what you want to learn about.

"Can I Trust the Bible?" by RC Sproul
"King James Only Controversy, The: Can You Trust Modern Translations?" By James White

Dr. white also has a lecture series that is available in MP3 format entitled, "How We Got the Bible", which is also a pretty good resource.

Or you can check the Skeptic's Annotated Bible For free
(December 27, 2010 at 8:20 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(December 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm)Spart Wrote: Why do you feel the need to shit on my thread? I asked for reading suggestions, not to start a debate.

Doing nohting of the sort. You are completely entitled to only reading people who agree with you and will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Just thought if you actually wanted to learn about the Old and New Testaments you might want to also read what actual Biblical scholars had to say as well. You do what you want, it's your brain :-)

There are skeptical scholars, SW. And speaking of Skeptical scholars, Bart D. Ehrman has written quite a few books about the history of the Bible. Misquoting Jesus is one I would particularly recommend.
In addition:
* Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman (focus on the Torah)
*Whose Bible is It? by Jaroslav Pelikan (on sectarian versions of the Bible, the author was a Russian Orthodox)
*Isaac Asimov's guide to the Bible (It's hard to find, but most likely worth it)
*How We Got the Bible by Neil Lightfoot (Written by a Christian, but still a quite influential work in this field.)

Quote:Skeptics start with axioms too, so I don't think your reason for not reading both sides of the issue is legitimate. Seems more of just a way to get people to tell you what you want to hear.
Having axioms is nowhere near the same thing as working with a pre-formed conclusion. Also, when did he say he wanted only skeptics? I just remember him saying he would prefer works by skeptics. There's quite a lot of room for debate here, and, thus, it merits having several points of view, whether theistic or not.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9416 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading drfuzzy 13 2260 January 29, 2018 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Bible reading Foxaèr 63 7967 October 19, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: John V
  So i was reading over the bible again.. dyresand 17 3401 September 16, 2015 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Your Suggestions Would Be Appreciated Hungry Hungry Hippo 42 12456 September 4, 2015 at 11:13 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Good christian summer reading.. Brakeman 1 1080 June 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Reading the New Testament chronologically Ziploc Surprise 11 6723 September 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Good reading for Christian Homophobes Chuff 129 56633 May 14, 2012 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Faith No More