Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading
Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading
1 Corinthians 7
32 I want you to be free from concern. The unmarried man is concerned about the work of the Lord, how he can please the Lord. 33 But the married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. The unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the work of the Lord, how she can be holy in both body and spirit. But the married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world, how she can please her husband.…

I was thinking about how this really doesn't apply to most people today.  I worked in a high school for 10 years.  I can only recall one boy who was "concerned about the work of the lord" -- he was sure that he wanted to be a preacher.  He tried to preach a lot, got beat up.  It was a phase, he majored in computer science after high school. MOST of the kids were concerned about their phone's battery life, what their boyfriend or girlfriend was doing, their favorite TV shows or bands, fashion, sports, upcoming tests, etc.   

The reading made me chuckle.  I'm just wondering if the AF crew members can come up with some funny, snarky responses.  I can't think of anything good at the moment, maybe inspiration will strike later.      Shy
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading
The religitards will tell you that "things were different back in the day."

Of course most people back then were more interested in growing enough food.
Corinthians is all about how "the time is short" because Paul, like Jesus and the other NT writers, expected the end of the world to come very soon. There's no time for sex and marriage since the world will be ending soon.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Quote:33 But the married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife

Nailed it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 28, 2018 at 2:52 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Corinthians is all about how "the time is short" because Paul, like Jesus and the other NT writers, expected the end of the world to come very soon. There's no time for sex and marriage since the world will be ending soon.

Assholes.
(January 28, 2018 at 2:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The religitards will tell you that "things were different back in the day."

Of course most people back then were more interested in growing enough food.

How different though would their eternal and unchanging God see things now ?

Doesn't matter how things change if God is expecting comportment to be consistent through the ages.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 28, 2018 at 3:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:33 But the married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife

Nailed it.

Boru

As if this were a bad thing, right? They should have gone to live in a cave and not god-bother the rest of humanity.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 28, 2018 at 3:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Nailed it.

Boru

Literally. Big Grin
I told a friend that the passage made me chuckle, as we walked out to our cars after church.  She said, "Oh yeah, if you're fantasizing about your next date, you don't have your mind on praising God and being pure and holy."  I said that I wondered if this was one verse that influenced celibacy.  She said "probably".  And then (good Catholic girl that she is) she said that she had always thought that "Oh God Oh God Oh God Yes!" should qualify as a prayer.  LOL

(January 28, 2018 at 2:52 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Corinthians is all about how "the time is short" because Paul, like Jesus and the other NT writers, expected the end of the world to come very soon. There's no time for sex and marriage since the world will be ending soon.

Too bad that they didn't decide that they all HAD to be celibate, holy, and virginal to get to heaven.  They could have prevented the Dark Ages and all sorts of wars.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(January 28, 2018 at 4:20 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I told a friend that the passage made me chuckle, as we walked out to our cars after church.  She said, "Oh yeah, if you're fantasizing about your next date, you don't have your mind on praising God and being pure and holy."  I said that I wondered if this was one verse that influenced celibacy.  She said "probably".  And then (good Catholic girl that she is) she said that she had always thought that "Oh God Oh God Oh God Yes!" should qualify as a prayer.  LOL

LOL, that sounds like some divine cuckoldry there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9176 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44052 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8151 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Bible reading Foxaèr 63 7909 October 19, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: John V
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5046 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4776 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  I went to church today Longhorn 30 6453 August 24, 2016 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  This Movie Needs A Guy and Two Robots Making Fun Of It Minimalist 7 1492 June 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Wink Well, that was fun! Cyberman 25 3176 March 10, 2016 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  encounter with a fundie homeschooler today - just sharing drfuzzy 43 8346 February 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU