Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bible reading
Bible reading
Considering the many (I owe this to vorlon) schisms within christianity due to how one schism interprets scripture as opposed to another schism's interpretation, is it truly any wonder that atheists interpret scripture differently than religious people?

How does the christian logically process schisms within the same religion if god was so precise and clear in his message to the people?

Furthermore, if varied interpretation accomplishes to divide, does that not cancel out religion's claim to unite people?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Bible reading
Religion is shit. Cue kudos.
I predict Christians will reply the different sects, schisms, denominations, branches and spinoffs aren't all that different from each other.

I might reply why bother with the bother of splitting up then ? The extra overhead for administering a separate faith could go to feeding the poor, clothing the naked, or housing the homeless.

And I note the schismatic differences historically have been enough to trigger pogroms, discrimination, killings . . . .

So much for being essentially the same thing.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Sure, religions divide.
Christians read the Bible through the rose-colored glasses of brainwashing.  Even the ones that do not think it is actually written by god (like the fundies) believe that great wisdom and revelation can be found in its pages.  The fundies simply refuse to admit that contradictions exist, even when those contradictions are set side-by-side.  They will claim that it is our lack of understanding that allows us to think that we are seeing contradictions.  Pray more.  
Every sect also preaches that it has the only REAL way to heaven.  The current pope tries to soft-pedal this, but old pope benedict arnold, who bailed, said quite plainly that only Catholics would go to heaven.  They're going, and it's not correct to question the billions that are going to fry in hell, because that's questioning god's plan.
It's very tribalistic.  It's extremely uncaring of anyone who doesn't worship their god their way. Heck read Revelations.  Jeebus comes back and slaughters the billions who won't pledge eternal fealty to him.  This is the joyous VICTORY christians pray for daily! We're supposed to care for our neighbor, and Jesus chose a slimeball for his neighbor example, but that doesn't matter.  Our neighbor slimeball is only our neighbor if our caring actions means he'll convert and start putting money in the collection plate.  Yay for our team!

damn where's that puking emoji again . . .
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
and there is no shortage, no shortage at all, of Christians of all stripes who deliberately (or indifferently) contradict clear ordinances from their Bibles. When those slacker/cherry pickers are the ones administering a faith, they are inviting schism with their ERROR.

And when called on it, they rarely acknowledge the mistake or thank their inspired correctors, nope, standard procedure is to unchurch them, or worse.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 14, 2017 at 11:07 pm)Hammy Wrote: Religion is shit. Cue kudos.

And thus should be blown out thine ass!
standing at the south end of a north facing min would warrant kevlar body armor for all the ass chunder . . .

Tongue

I recommend one of these.

[Image: Rd_line04.jpg]

They are curved to divert the flow!
(October 14, 2017 at 11:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(October 14, 2017 at 11:07 pm)Hammy Wrote: Religion is shit. Cue kudos.

And thus should be blown out thine ass!

[Image: 1xn1dh.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I will use GIND(going in the dark) when I'm assuming and not knwoing for sure.
The various interpreations of what is sayed in the bible comes from the fact that everyone perceives the world differently(not referring to a scientifical point of view).At the surface we all have basicaly the same perception but at a deeper level we all perceive the world differently(again, not reffering to a scientifical point of view).
Take for example the phrase"believe and do not doubt" wich I have found that is not written in the bible(GIND), at least not in this form .Personally I find that this statement referes to the fact that you shouldn't give much thought to questions like "Does god exist?",you believe it or you don't you don't need to bother with the problem more because it doesn't change anything .GIND: The missinterpretation of the priests led to the persecuting of science because they thinked that you shouldn't research the world, wich is not the case because if God didn't intended you to evolve then he automatically doomed most of mankind to "hellfire".One might say that it wasn't missinterpretation but intentionaly wanting people to be dumb so they could be controled wich is a possibility.
And another cause may be that the biblical text is written in a way that everyone could undestand it resulting in different interpretations . This might have been a safety taken to prevent mass manipulation, but the lack of developing intelligence still lead to that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9387 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44097 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading drfuzzy 13 2260 January 29, 2018 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  So i was reading over the bible again.. dyresand 17 3400 September 16, 2015 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7442 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Good christian summer reading.. Brakeman 1 1080 June 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Reading the New Testament chronologically Ziploc Surprise 11 6722 September 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Good reading for Christian Homophobes Chuff 129 56624 May 14, 2012 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Reading suggestions Spart 18 4099 December 29, 2010 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Spart