Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wouldn’t be a Christian
I wouldn’t be a Christian
I recently heard an atheist asked whether they’d be a Christian if they woke up one day and believed in Jesus, The Bible, and so on. They said yes they would, because a Christian is someone who believes those things to be true.

I’ve always stated I wouldn’t be a Christian, even if I became convinced that it contained truth. But perhaps this is a contradiction. By the above definition I’d be a Christian, but I would call the whole thing morally corrupt, and I’d want no part of it; just as I wouldn’t vote for the Tories, but I still accept they are real.

I expect this comes up so rarely that there’s not even a particular term for it. I’ve heard of maltheism in general, and that’s rare enough, without a belief that a specific religion is true to rebel against.

What would I be called?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: I wouldn’t be a Christian
Mental?

Big Grin
Lol well yes, if I did suddenly proclaim such beliefs, I would certainly advocate that I be taken in for psychological evaluation. My staunch scepticism would imply something was seriously wrong.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
'Christian-ish'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 31, 2018 at 8:05 am)robvalue Wrote: Lol well yes, if I did suddenly proclaim such beliefs, I would certainly advocate that I be taken in for psychological evaluation. My staunch scepticism would imply something was seriously wrong.

Yup. Safe bet - those mushrooms on the pizza were NOT morell mushrooms, but something a bit more magical.....

Smile
(October 31, 2018 at 8:12 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2018 at 8:05 am)robvalue Wrote: Lol well yes, if I did suddenly proclaim such beliefs, I would certainly advocate that I be taken in for psychological evaluation. My staunch scepticism would imply something was seriously wrong.

Yup. Safe bet - those mushrooms on the pizza were NOT morell mushrooms, but something a bit more magical.....

Smile

Fair point.  I've always felt that St John the Divine was a victim of ergot poisoning.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
There is still quite a distance between "I believe this god exists", and "I'm going to worship this god". I'd probably be a maltheist if the abrahamic god was proven to be real, and the bible was an accurate representation of his character. I don't really care if he's real or not. My main problem is the deity of the bible is evil. If you put a character like that in any other book, it would be incredibly hard to sell the guy as a good natured deity to a modern audience. Maybe it worked for more primitive cultures, but obviously humanity is trying its best to grow out of that kind of stuff, leaving such things behind.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Wouldn't you be a heretic?

Side note: When I read the title immediately I hear the scarecrow from the wizard of oz. (If I only had a brain)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 31, 2018 at 10:15 am)wyzas Wrote: Wouldn't you be a heretic?

Side note: When I read the title immediately I hear the scarecrow from the wizard of oz. (If I only had a brain)

I suppose yeah, I’d be a heretic. But don’t Christians and the like accuse other actual worshipping Christians of being heretics because they’re not doing it right?

Index of my best videos
(October 31, 2018 at 8:02 am)robvalue Wrote: I recently heard an atheist asked whether they’d be a Christian if they woke up one day and believed in Jesus, The Bible, and so on. They said yes they would, because a Christian is someone who believes those things to be true.

I’ve always stated I wouldn’t be a Christian, even if I became convinced that it contained truth. But perhaps this is a contradiction. By the above definition I’d be a Christian, but I would call the whole thing morally corrupt, and I’d want no part of it; just as I wouldn’t vote for the Tories, but I still accept they are real.

I expect this comes up so rarely that there’s not even a particular term for it. I’ve heard of maltheism in general, and that’s rare enough, without a belief that a specific religion is true to rebel against.

What would I be called?

............an anti-theist.   Today, at least, but on that day that you woke up believing you would be a maltheist, yeah. Believing in gods and demi gods doesn't actually make you part of someone else's religion - it doesn't make you christian. You reject their beliefs and acceptence regarding -christ- ( title, not the guys last name), and would continue to do so even if you believed that he was a real demi god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wouldn't it be funny... rexbeccarox 10 3421 June 16, 2014 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Tonus