Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
96 Years Ago
96 Years Ago
In 1922 H. L. Mencken predicted republicunt party tactics for 2018.

Quote:
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

― H.L. Mencken

Uncanny, that man!
RE: 96 Years Ago
"This is the most important election of our lifetime" -- the war cry of every political huckster since voting began......

SSDD
And 2,400 years ago we had Plato:

Andrew Sullivan Wrote:And it is when a democracy has ripened... fully... Plato argues, that a would-be tyrant will often seize his moment.

He is usually of the elite but has a nature in tune with the time — given over to random pleasures and whims, feasting on plenty of food and sex, and reveling in the nonjudgment that is democracy’s civil religion. He makes his move by “taking over a particularly obedient mob” and attacking his wealthy peers as corrupt... He rides a backlash to excess—“too much freedom seems to change into nothing but too much slavery” — and offers himself as the personified answer to the internal conflicts of the democratic mess. He pledges, above all, to take on the increasingly despised elites. And as the people thrill to him as a kind of solution, a democracy willingly, even impetuously, repeals itself.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/04/a...gtm=bottom
(November 2, 2018 at 12:55 am)Minimalist Wrote: In 1922 H. L. Mencken predicted republicunt party tactics for 2018.

Quote:
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

― H.L. Mencken

Uncanny, that man!

It's called FUD now.
Less than two years ago, 9 November 2016:

Quote:Dear America -

You're boned.

Condolences,

Boru

Uncanny, that man.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Stupid people seem to have greater influence these days.
Plebeians, Patricians and Equestrians anybody? Demagoguery has always existed in politics and likely always will. Everyone does it. Chastising a political foe for doing so is just a round about way of declaring one's political affiliation.
Really, it’s the same old story, and it has been since (at the very least), the second century BC, when Cato the Elder ended all of his speeches with “Carthago delenda est,” insisting that Carthage must be destroyed even when the speech he gave had absolutely nothing to do with Carthage. And now, for a more eloquent take on the same subject from Burt Lancaster in Judgment at Nuremberg:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 years on death row Thumpalumpacus 48 1261 March 3, 2024 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4433 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Adnan Oktar, TV cult preacher jailed for 8,658 years in Turkey LinuxGal 1 574 November 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A Few Days Ago, I Made A Mistake BrianSoddingBoru4 57 3421 March 29, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  black people 450 years a slave?!!? Drich 77 6790 June 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  Russian Woman Reportedly Faces 6 Years in Prison for Insulting Memes about Xtians purplepurpose 1 545 October 16, 2018 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Suge Knight Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison Fake Messiah 3 630 October 9, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2045 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Still Crazy After All These Years..... Minimalist 41 5289 May 31, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Betty White Marries Man 63 Years Younger chimp3 1 586 April 1, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13