Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:15 am

Poll: What is the opposite of Love?
This poll is closed.
Hate
28.57%
6 28.57%
Apathy/Indifference
42.86%
9 42.86%
Other
28.57%
6 28.57%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opposite of Love
Opposite of Love
What is the opposite of love to people? If other please state you other and feel free to discuss.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Opposite of Love
Anything that's not love.
(November 19, 2018 at 11:59 am)tackattack Wrote: What is the opposite of love to people?

Definitely not hatred, at least not the passionate type (since that's more like a disguised love).

More like strongly despise (something of that sort). But if you want to call that hatred, feel free to do so.
Indifference, imo.  I suppose the intuitive answer would be hate..but what is hate but another expression of an equally intense emotion directed at the same person or object or idea.  

They have more in common with each other than either have with indifference, and indifference is distinct from them in all the ways that they're similar to each other.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Envy/Spite.
Disgust, maybe. Love is feeling an extreme bond with someone, where you want to be with them, help them, and miss them when they're gone. So the opposite would be never wanting to be near them, or thinking about them, and not caring for their suffering. So disgust or revulsion.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Evol.
OK we'll say hate or some other negative emotion like disgust or envy or spite for the first option
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Hate can be of envy and spite or it can be a category of good intended love.

For example, we hate it when someone who we love does something hurtful to us. The hate generates from love.

Like wise, a person can love that an evil thing happens to someone, but that could be from ill intended hate. It can be that of spite and envy.
(November 19, 2018 at 1:31 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Hate can be of envy and spite or it can be a category of good intended love.

For example, we hate it when someone who we love does something hurtful to us. The hate generates from love.

Like wise, a person can love that an evil thing happens to someone, but that could be from ill intended hate. It can be that of spite and envy.

My kids don't hate me when I Love them, they may not understand the tough love sometimes, but it doesn't breed hate. There is no hate in love, IMO. Some people may love to hate, but I don't think the opposite or any subjective emotion has an opposite other than indifference. Sort of like the color wheel, there are extremes in different directions that clash and seep opposite, but the 0 point is the center of the pie.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love) Macoleco 16 1220 September 11, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Opposite Day PETE_ROSE 12 1248 August 19, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Hate is Not the Opposite of Love Loading Please Wait 30 15287 September 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger