Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School bible circle
School bible circle
I am a student at a school in germany. I recently heard of a school bible circle at my school. It is basically an extracurricular, where you talk about the bible and pray. I dont necesserily object to that, but in this particular case I have my problems with this:
1)This extracurricular is solely for younger students aged 10-13
2)The content is not filtered by any school authority, eventhough they sponsor the room for this activity
3) The Students who organize it, belong to a protestant sekt, and have had problems with extremism and homophobia
I am concerned, that some of these dangerous thoughts can be forced on the younger students in this group. Especially in a school setting with students who are 4 to 7 years older, telling them what to believe.
Does anyone know what to do against that? If you know what to do, which organisation to contact, or just have any tips for me, it would be nice if you could help me Big Grin
What is it you most dislike? Stupidity, especially in its nastiest forms of racism and superstition.” 

~ Christopher Hitchens
RE: School bible circle
I don't know if it helps, but here we call those circle jerks.[Image: Thumbs%20Up.png]
(November 19, 2018 at 4:53 pm)no one Wrote: I don't know if it helps, but here we call those circle jerks.[Image: Thumbs%20Up.png]

Well... It doesnt help, but at least the problem is known Big Grin
What is it you most dislike? Stupidity, especially in its nastiest forms of racism and superstition.” 

~ Christopher Hitchens
My son started a dungeons and dragon's extracurricular club at school. A lot of theist said the same things about that such that
1)This extracurricular is solely for younger students aged 13-16
2)The content is not filtered by any school authority, even though they sponsor the room for this activity and a teacher is a part of the club
3) The dungeons and dragons deals with spirits, demons, magic, and can have lots of societally evil content, all run by the students

I spoke with my schools principle. There are grade and attendance criteria the participants have to keep. No illegal content or terroristic planning is allowed. No harassment of any real people or group is allowed. I was cool with that, aside from that, it's good to let kids be kids and express themselves and not get all wound up in limiting another groups ability to meet and discuss because you're afraid of their message.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(November 19, 2018 at 4:49 pm)ShirkahnW Wrote: I am a student at a school in germany. I recently heard of a school bible circle at my school. It is basically an extracurricular, where you talk about the bible and pray. I dont necesserily object to that, but in this particular case I have my problems with this:
2)The content is not filtered by any school authority, eventhough they sponsor the room for this activity
3) The Students who organize it, belong to a protestant sekt, and have had problems with extremism and homophobia
I am concerned, that some of these dangerous thoughts can be forced on the younger students in this group. Especially in a school setting with students who are 4 to 7 years older, telling them what to believe.
Does anyone know what to do against that? If you know what to do, which organisation to contact, or just have any tips for me, it would be nice if you could help me Big Grin

Jerkoff
Piss off and leave them alone. why can't you be tolerant enough to allow others the freedom to be different from you? what a self righteous lot.
(November 20, 2018 at 11:12 am)Drich Wrote:
(November 19, 2018 at 4:49 pm)ShirkahnW Wrote: I am a student at a school in germany. I recently heard of a school bible circle at my school. It is basically an extracurricular, where you talk about the bible and pray. I dont necesserily object to that, but in this particular case I have my problems with this:

Jerkoff
Piss off and leave them alone. why can't you be tolerant enough to allow others the freedom to be different from you? what a self righteous lot.
Thank you for that nice response... I dont mind them being different from me/ having different opinions. I do have a probleem with homophobia being taught to little children, but if you are fine with that thats alright

(November 19, 2018 at 5:54 pm)tackattack Wrote: My son started a dungeons and dragon's extracurricular club at school. A lot of theist  said the same things about that such that
2)The content is not filtered by any school authority, even though they sponsor the room for this activity and a teacher is a part of the club
3) The dungeons and dragons deals with spirits, demons, magic, and can have lots of societally evil content, all run by the students

I spoke with my schools principle. There are grade and attendance criteria the participants have to keep. No illegal content or terroristic planning is allowed. No harassment of any real people or group is allowed. I was cool with that, aside from that, it's good to let kids be kids and express themselves and not get all wound up in limiting another groups ability to meet and discuss because you're afraid of their message.

There is a huge difference between a game and a set of belives. Homophobia is not illegal, but I dont like it anyway. and i also do not think that on that matter one can "let kids be kids" and yes I am afraid of homophobia getting taught to smaller children

~ Christopher Hitchens
(November 20, 2018 at 11:19 am)ShirkahnW Wrote:
(November 20, 2018 at 11:12 am)Drich Wrote: Jerkoff
Thank you for that nice response... I dont mind them being different from me/ having different opinions. I do have a probleem with homophobia being taught to little children, but if you are fine with that thats alright

(November 19, 2018 at 5:54 pm)tackattack Wrote: My son started a dungeons and dragon's extracurricular club at school. A lot of theist  said the same things about that such that

There is a huge difference between a game and a set of beliefs. Homophobia is not illegal, but I don't like it anyway. and i also do not think that on that matter one can "let kids be kids" and yes I am afraid of homophobia getting taught to smaller children

IS Being taught anything different than your views is the definition of homophobia??? Can't you imagine there is another view that allows for tollerance but not compitulance? Can you not imagine that One does not have to fear homosexuals to hold a different opinion than you do on homosexuality?

That is the core of the problem though isn't it??  we as a society have move from expecting tolerance to demanding permissive blessings on homosexuals.. When in fact I do not have to teach blessings and permissiveness to be tolerant. I can teach that it is wrong and still teach tolerance for the sinner.

but that is not what a fascist state demands. they demand conformity and strict adherence to preset definitions and social requirements. Are you guys not taught the whole hitler thing in school over there? You are doing the same thing but to the other extreme! Not everyone need be blonde hair blue eyed! (not every kid should be taught to bless homosexuality.)
Here, Homopobic actions are a hate crime "any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or prejudice toward someone’s actual or perceived race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or transgender identity"
Here, Beliefs and actions about witches and spells and demons are actually protected as religious beliefs.
If people want to indoctrinate others into their beliefs it's either called parenting or brainwashing. Which usually depends on whether you agree with their view or not.
My point was if it doesn't apply or interfere with you or your life, then it's probably none of your business unless you're a SJW.
If you are a social justice warrior then battle the system not the people and encourage the type of community through your actions that you want to foster.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Depends on what the laws are in Germany and/or the particular region/city you are in. 

Why would anyone waste their time studying the bible when they could do any number of more productive things.
Here in the US that would be legal, provided it was actually student-led and not organized by outsiders and isn't actually inciting them to commit crimes. I don't know about the laws in Germany, though.

I think an appropriate response would be promoting awareness, acceptance, and understanding of LGBT+ individuals, along with anti-bullying campaigns. Maybe go with a formal club or maybe just a circle of friends and allies. You might reach the students in the Bible circle (who, remember, are victims of bad ideas... especially the gay kids). Even if you don't, if you can get a bunch of your peers ready to stand up against the homophobic assaults and rhetoric that this group might engage in, you'll have done a good deal to protect the rest of the school from them.

Here in the US, PFLAG is a good organization, but I'm pretty sure it's not international. They definitely have some good resources on their website you can use, and might be able to recommend a German equivalent. If not, a solid hour of Googling things like "German LGBT+ advocacy groups" should get you some likely candidates.
Being an antipistevist is like being an antipastovist, only with epistemic responsibility instead of bruschetta.

Ignore list includes: 1 douche bag (Drich)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1336 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7449 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Mass shooting in a school? Need God. Mass shooting in a church?.... Chad32 54 11406 November 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satanists to give invocation at high school football game jenny1972 28 6488 October 29, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: MentalGiant
Bug Religion in school Supermanbeer 19 4412 October 29, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I actually think the school board got this right Minimalist 3 1148 November 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  London School of Economics and Free Speech Row Fidel_Castronaut 10 4013 November 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  hypocritical Christians complaining about islamic infiltration of the school system Ziploc Surprise 34 14092 November 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Anyone else feel how Christian biased history taught at school is? Xavier 35 15571 January 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Supernatural school.. Darwinian 1 1302 May 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah